Fosbourne85
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi guys,

I dont know how true this is but i heard that the max grade boundaries can be increased by or dropped by each year is 5%
Is this true or if not how do they work?

Thanks
Baby_Mama
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
depends how well everyone does as a country and around the average percentage/marks will be given grade 4-5. Above average 6-7 , highest percentages/marks will be given 8-9. If the exams are easy more people will gain higher marks so the grade boundaries will increase and vice versa.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not true.
Grade boundaries are decided after the exams have been taken based on candidate's performance on those exams and national data on prior performance in the subject and of these students at KS2 tests.
OllyDaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
Not true.
Grade boundaries are decided after the exams have been taken based on candidate's performance on those exams and national data on prior performance in the subject and of these students at KS2 tests.
wait gcse results are affected by year 6 sats??
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OllyDaws)
wait gcse results are affected by year 6 sats??
A bit, yes.
Magsapyo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmmm, I doubt that but whatever
A bit, yes.
OllyDaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A bit, yes.
so everyone results back in yr 6? cos i did so **** then
Magsapyo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sure that that's not true Compost, I am pretty sure that it is how well students do based on the average mark. Like for a 9, it's like the top 5% of the country- a comparison to everyone else, so it's like we are all competing against each other in a sense.
Good luck to you guys!
Handel1742
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, no I don't think thats true but I reckon thats what they will rise by this year. When English & Maths had there second set of papers the GBs rose by 5% so I think most subjects will rise by about that. However, subjects with more content e.g. history and sciences probs won't go up that much - maybe only 2 or 3%.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Magsapyo)
I'm sure that that's not true Compost, I am pretty sure that it is how well students do based on the average mark. Like for a 9, it's like the top 5% of the country- a comparison to everyone else, so it's like we are all competing against each other in a sense.
Good luck to you guys!
It's all a bit more sophisticated than that because Ofqual have to try to ensure that a 7 in Maths from one board is at the same level of difficulty as a 7 from another. They also have to try to even out the fact that some subjects attract more intelligent students than others - if only really bright people do a subject then it makes no sense to keep the same % achieving different grades as in a subject that attracts less able candidates. Last year nearly 43% of people taking GCSE Physics achieved at least a 7, whereas the figure for Leisure and Tourism was only just over 10%. https://www.jcq.org.uk/examination-r...ts-summer-2018 In the mix of all this they do look at prior attainment.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OllyDaws)
so everyone results back in yr 6? cos i did so **** then
You personal score isn't relevant, but the average prior ability of people doing the subjects you're doing is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
18.64%
I'm not sure (2)
1.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (35)
29.66%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.54%
I'm not a current university student (56)
47.46%

Watched Threads