Xx2003
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I would appreciate if someone can give me some advice how to go forward.

Basically I failed my resit osce over a silly mistake , according to my feedback everything else was excellent . I am in my second year and about to do other osces for one other module next couple of months., I have not been able to speak to some one yet at uni to see what my options are. However I know I would have to redo this module and sit this osce again, what I would like to do is if all goes well with my 2nd year regarding exams or osces that I have pending, is to join 3 rd year in sept and be able to resit this module again, do you think Uni will allow me to do this as opposed to repeating a whole year meaning just attend lectures for this module which were very minimal as it is practice based module, so most of the year I will not attend uni ( yes I know I could work etc ) I am trying to see how I can present a mitigating plan for uni, I understand I might have to fund this module myself as it was already funded by SFW, but then apparently ( I have been speaking to several people) that come third year if I resit 2nd year ,I will have to fund this 3 rd year myself? Is this correct?( which is not going to be possible) I am a very very mature student just need to complete this course as quickly as I can
Some one please help , I am just so stressed about it feeling so deflated, depressed
junior.doctor
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Unfortunately, you cannot carry failed modules / unachieved credits into a subsequent year to resist - you must pass each year outright before progressing to the next year.

Presumably if I’ve understood correctly, you can’t compensate for this fail with a pass elsewhere in something else? You have to pass this OSCE outright to pass the module?

Also, if this is already a module resit, are you sure you’ll definitely be allowed to repeat the year / have a third attempt? Not everywhere does, unless there is mitigation - worth definitely making sure. (I had a nasty shock in 4th year when I failed a resit - single exam - I assumed I would resit the year, but was asked to withdraw and had to appeal in order to resit the year).

Funding: SF always allow an additional year of funding overall - so you definitely have one year’s grace. I don’t know if this is still a thing (or if it was only my uni) but there were external and internal resit students - internal resisters came to uni and resat the module - lectures, clinical, whatever, and external students didn’t resit any content but just had an additional attempt at the exam at the end of the year. Certainly back then, external resisters didn’t pay course fees - but also didn’t have registered student status for that year so it affected things like council tax exemption.

Check all this out with your uni when you can - they are the only people who can tell you for certain - and there is nothing to lose by asking if you can carry the module and resit alongside third year. But I’ve never heard of this happening before.

Best of luck.
Xx2003
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much for your response, much appreciated, I don’t know if it makes any difference I am actually an undergraduate in midwifery not a medicine student so not sure if the same rules apply, sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, nevertheless I need to start by finding out from uni to see what my options are? Do you think I should involve the union?
Thank you once again for replying
singzeon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In the first place you should probably post this in the correct forum, to have a higher chance of getting responses from fellow midwifery students who have a better idea of the system.
(Original post by Xx2003)
Thank you so much for your response, much appreciated, I don’t know if it makes any difference I am actually an undergraduate in midwifery not a medicine student so not sure if the same rules apply, sorry if I posted in the wrong forum, nevertheless I need to start by finding out from uni to see what my options are? Do you think I should involve the union?
Thank you once again for replying
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
28.97%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.35%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads