Compressed nerve in my leg - getting worse? Watch

antics
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I've had this nerve compressed for a while now, and it was a gentle burning pain to start out with.

Now, my first exam is tomorrow and right now I can't walk.
I've been to the doctors and they've prescribed me with anti inflammatories, but they're not helping in the slightest and haven't been at all.

I have absolutely no idea what to do. My parents can't help either.

Any advice on things I can do to take my mind off it? If my leg is awful in the morning, is there anything I can do regarding my exam?
DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by antics)
I've had this nerve compressed for a while now, and it was a gentle burning pain to start out with.

I've been to the doctors and they've prescribed me with anti inflammatories, but they're not helping in the slightest and haven't been at all.

Any advice on things I can do to take my mind off it? If my leg is awful in the morning, is there anything I can do regarding my exam?
Go to your local walk-in centre. It's like A&E but for urgent-but-not-emergency situations, like yours. Hopefully they can help, but I'm not sure what can be done for your exam.
antics
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Go to your local walk-in centre. It's like A&E but for urgent-but-not-emergency situations, like yours. Hopefully they can help, but I'm not sure what can be done for your exam.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try and convince my parents it's more severe than they thought it was (which should be easy, seeing as I can't walk).
DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thanks for the advice. I'll try and convince my parents it's more severe than they thought it was (which should be easy, seeing as I can't walk).
Hope you get help you it soon. Good luck for your exam!
bingbong654
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You can apply for special consideration... but you wouldn't get more than a couple of percent extra I'm afraid
HoldThisL
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
ouch that sucks. i thought they normally sorted themselves out after a while of rest and recouperation

yikes
antics
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
ouch that sucks. i thought they normally sorted themselves out after a while of rest and recouperation

yikes
Honestly? I think it's sciatica, despite it being really uncommon in under 18s. That'd really suck, though; I don't want a gammy back!
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Contact your school/university now via email and ring them first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully they should be understanding and allow you to take it later in the day or give you special consideration. Your best bet to ease the pain is probably going to be painkillers. If the anti inflammatories aren't working see if you can contact your doctor again, and if not ring 111 or go to the walk in centre to see what they can do. To distract yourself from the pain you could put a film on or maybe do a little revision?

Hope this helps

Lucy
antics
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Contact your school/university now via email and ring them first thing tomorrow morning. Hopefully they should be understanding and allow you to take it later in the day or give you special consideration. Your best bet to ease the pain is probably going to be painkillers. If the anti inflammatories aren't working see if you can contact your doctor again, and if not ring 111 or go to the walk in centre to see what they can do. To distract yourself from the pain you could put a film on or maybe do a little revision?

Hope this helps

Lucy
I'd absolutely love to do revision right now, but the pain is so bad I can't concentrate.

I'll probably try ringing the school, though I've been suggested I simply pop to the nurse first thing in the morning and see if she has any crutches I could use to get myself into the actual exam. I'm hoping painkillers will work.

Thanks for the suggestion!
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'd absolutely love to do revision right now, but the pain is so bad I can't concentrate.

I'll probably try ringing the school, though I've been suggested I simply pop to the nurse first thing in the morning and see if she has any crutches I could use to get myself into the actual exam. I'm hoping painkillers will work.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Oh dear! Do you reckon something like a hot bath would ease the pain?

Also just thought it might be worth bringing a doctors note with you into school tomorrow in case you need to have proof for special consideration.

Lucy
antics
Rep:
?
Oh dear! Do you reckon something like a hot bath would ease the pain?

Also just thought it might be worth bringing a doctors note with you into school tomorrow in case you need to have proof for special consideration.

Lucy
Good idea with the note, I'll definitely do that.

Unfortunately I've tried! It eases it only when I'm in there, and then again it's in small amounts.
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Good idea with the note, I'll definitely do that.

Unfortunately I've tried! It eases it only when I'm in there, and then again it's in small amounts.
This will probably come too late for your exam, but if the pain persists it might be worth getting a heat pack/hot water bottle to relieve your leg?

Let me know what happens!

Lucy
antics
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
This will probably come too late for your exam, but if the pain persists it might be worth getting a heat pack/hot water bottle to relieve your leg?

Let me know what happens!

Lucy
Not a problem. The exam is over with, and has been for quite a while now! I think it went decently.

I used crutches to get around, though now my hands are bruised and hurting from them...shame, really. I might need them tomorrow too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (41)
5.65%
Fairly positive (242)
33.33%
Just another year... (287)
39.53%
Is it 2020 yet? (156)
21.49%

Watched Threads