Recording Speech Therapy Sessions Watch

AREEE1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello

I have been offered a place on a Speech and Language Therapy MSc, I just wanted to know if the speech and language sessions, particularly initial assessments of service users, are generally recorded by practitioners. I would have thought that recording sessions is essential to accurate detection of speech disorders. Allows one to analyse recording back in the office etc. I can’t see why it would not be used in today’s world, but thought I would ask.
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AREEE1)
Hello

I have been offered a place on a Speech and Language Therapy MSc, I just wanted to know if the speech and language sessions, particularly initial assessments of service users, are generally recorded by practitioners. I would have thought that recording sessions is essential to accurate detection of speech disorders. Allows one to analyse recording back in the office etc. I can’t see why it would not be used in today’s world, but thought I would ask.
It depends what you mean by 'recording'.

If you're referring to the recording of speech samples, then yes, this can be done if it will benefit the accuracy of transcription and identification of needs. However, there are data protection/confidentiality/client stress factors too, as well as whether the environment is an appropriate one for recording in, so it isn't always suitable/possible. Speech disorders are also one part of a client's potential presentation, so it's not always necessary to record for that purpose alone.
AREEE1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I asked this question as I have a mate who wants to become a speech therapist. They are articulate and have a good ear for speech. However, they have Arthritis and find it difficult to hold a pen/ write on paper.

They have an undergraduate degree and said that they used a dictaphone to record lectures. So wondered if they could do the same to record patient speech therapy sessions and type up after.

I said they probably could because this would be an allowance under ‘reasonable adjustments’ for a disability.

I accept that it may not always be possible, though I imagine for a person with a disability like my mate, allowances would have to be made. With regard to the confidentiality/ data protection side of things, I’d imagine that using a dictaphone would have to abide the same way as pen and paper writing.
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AREEE1)
I asked this question as I have a mate who wants to become a speech therapist. They are articulate and have a good ear for speech. However, they have Arthritis and find it difficult to hold a pen/ write on paper.

They have an undergraduate degree and said that they used a dictaphone to record lectures. So wondered if they could do the same to record patient speech therapy sessions and type up after.

I said they probably could because this would be an allowance under ‘reasonable adjustments’ for a disability.

I accept that it may not always be possible, though I imagine for a person with a disability like my mate, allowances would have to be made. With regard to the confidentiality/ data protection side of things, I’d imagine that using a dictaphone would have to abide the same way as pen and paper writing.
That's something that they would need to discuss with their university and each placement provider. Each will have policies regarding audio recording of clients, so these will need to be adhered to. While adjustments can be made to an extent, any health conditions and adjustments required by your friend will be assessed when they complete their occupational health check (this will usually be before and at the very start of their course). This check will determine if the adjustments they seek are reasonable or not regarding speech and language therapy (not just as a course, but as a career).

Confidentiality could be more of an issue with audio recording in the sense that names/dates/locations could be mentioned which would otherwise be anonymised if using pen and paper. Also many clients who attend speech and language therapy can be anxious/frustrated/distressed and may refuse to permit audio recording (as is their right).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (87)
16.76%
The paper was reasonable (256)
49.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (120)
23.12%
It was TERRIBLE (56)
10.79%

Watched Threads