IzzyAnne
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm from a languages background currently figuring out my career pathway. I'm looking to retrain in a more quantitative/technical area as I've missed that since finishing my Maths A Level and studying a BA. It also seems to me that quantitative/technical qualifications are much more in-demand in the jobs market than anything my generalist background can offer. (I'd also like to get into international development as a career and I know the market is saturated with many well-intentioned generalists lacking the right technical skills).

I've seen this 'Speech and Language Processing' degree at Edinburgh which looks really interesting. I volunteer with Translators Without Borders so I feel like there might be a demand for expertise in Natural Language Processing in crisis response and international development.

But I'm not sure. Does anyone know how likely a NLP graduate is to be employed in their field? If many of them work in humanitarian and social projects?

I'm a bit worried by how very specific the training would be - meaning that if I were unable to make a career in NLP, the masters I'd invested in wouldn't be of much use in any other spheres. So I wanted to make sure it was a good bet before applying.

So far, I have an offer in France for Econ conversion and I'm thinking of applying to a generalist International Development MSc, too. Econ especially would give me a lot of options if I didn't immediately get a role as a development economist. But NLP would put my linguistics skills to use and just sounds so much fun tbh.

Any insights at all appreciated, I can't find much info at all upon Googling!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (43)
14.83%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (95)
32.76%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.41%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (24)
8.28%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.86%
I think it's an unfair expectation (72)
24.83%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.03%

Watched Threads