HPV advice Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So when everyone was due their HPV vaccination in like year 8, my Mother did not allow me to have mine (still got the other vaccinations) as she didn’t want to encourage underage sex but said it’s my decision to make when I’m older and potentially sexually active. I am 16 and plan to have sex with my boyfriend however I’m concerned as I have not had the vaccination. We are both virgins so is it likely this will be an issue if I have not had it. I want to practice safe sex and feel it would be best if I got the vaccination anyway however I wouldn’t know how approach the topic with my mother.
Any advice? Do I actually need the vaccination (I am aware of why people are giving the vaccination in the first place, just want to know if in my circumstance it is necessary)
Also any advice for talking to my mother about the subject?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So when everyone was due their HPV vaccination in like year 8, my Mother did not allow me to have mine (still got the other vaccinations) as she didn’t want to encourage underage sex but said it’s my decision to make when I’m older and potentially sexually active. I am 16 and plan to have sex with my boyfriend however I’m concerned as I have not had the vaccination. We are both virgins so is it likely this will be an issue if I have not had it. I want to practice safe sex and feel it would be best if I got the vaccination anyway however I wouldn’t know how approach the topic with my mother.
Any advice? Do I actually need the vaccination (I am aware of why people are giving the vaccination in the first place, just want to know if in my circumstance it is necessary)
Also any advice for talking to my mother about the subject?
Can you go to your gp alone, as you're 16 you should be able to consent to having the vaccination yourself
Claydo66
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t know she’d be kinda mad probably
JTfoxlove
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1. Your mum meant well but you could have waited until marriage and had sex with one partner in your entire life and caught HPV, which could result in cancer and your death. So really poor decision making on her part. Don't hold it against her, she thought she was protecting you.

2. Get the vaccination. Contact your GP, you do not need your mother's consent (or any other adults) nor do you need to inform her and the doctors won't tell her anything even if she asked them directly. Though clearly ideally you would have that sort of relationship.

3. HPV can be passed on via sexual activity, including oral or intimate skin to skin touching, so avoiding penetrative sex or 'being a virgin' in itself does not ensure that one will not catch HPV, though the risks are likely greater with penetrative sex.

If neither you nor your partner have engage in sexual activity with others then your exposure to HPV is very unlikely.

The vast majority of people who catch the forms of HPV that we are talking about, will find that their system will fight it off and it will have no negative impact upon them. A small but significant minority experience major issues potentially resulting in cancers. Cervical cancer can cause death, which resulted in HPV vaccine in the UK being rolled out for girls in schools, it's now being rolled out for boys too to further lower avoidable cancers and tackle genital warts.

It may take 6 months or longer, depending on your practice to get fully immunised to HPV (the forms that the vaccine protects against).

Using a condom will help reduce the risks of catching HPV from a carrier.

I'd pop along to your doctor for a chat about contraception, getting your HPV vaccine and your potential risks.

Even if you do all of this, you can obviously still opt out of sex if you change your mind but getting this sorted now will make things easier in the future. Some impressive decision making on your part

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/human-...oma-virus-hpv/
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccin...virus-vaccine/
https://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/aboutn...dh_4117353.pdf
Last edited by JTfoxlove; 1 week ago
Claydo66
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks I was planning on using barrier contraception but heard there is still a small risk. Also that risk is evidently less likely since neither of us have had sex before with anyone else however I will still go for it as I cannot anticipate the future. Maybe the best option is to just talk it over with my mother as she would probably be alright with it at this stage, just might be an awkward conversation as no mother wants to have the knowledge their daughter is having sex.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of this paper?

Feeling positive! (10)
11.49%
Okay. Just a little more work... (27)
31.03%
Not feeling great (29)
33.33%
Send URGENT HELP!!! (21)
24.14%

Watched Threads