The Student Room Group

Any advice regarding osces please

I would appreciate if someone can give me some advice how to go forward.

Basically I failed my resit osce over a silly mistake , according to my feedback everything else was excellent . I am in my second year and about to do other osces for one other module next couple of months., I have not been able to speak to some one yet at uni to see what my options are. However I know I would have to redo this module and sit this osce again, what I would like to do is if all goes well with my 2nd year regarding exams or osces that I have pending, is to join 3 rd year in sept and be able to resit this module again, do you think Uni will allow me to do this as opposed to repeating a whole year meaning just attend lectures for this module which were very minimal as it is practice based module, so most of the year I will not attend uni ( yes I know I could work etc ) I am trying to see how I can present a mitigating plan for uni, I understand I might have to fund this module myself as it was already funded by SFW, but then apparently ( I have been speaking to several people) that come third year if I resit 2nd year ,I will have to fund this 3 rd year myself? Is this correct?( which is not going to be possible) I am a very very mature student just need to complete this course as quickly as I can
Some one please help , I am just so stressed about it feeling so deflated, depressed
Original post by Senioba12
I would appreciate if someone can give me some advice how to go forward.

Basically I failed my resit osce over a silly mistake , according to my feedback everything else was excellent . I am in my second year and about to do other osces for one other module next couple of months., I have not been able to speak to some one yet at uni to see what my options are. However I know I would have to redo this module and sit this osce again, what I would like to do is if all goes well with my 2nd year regarding exams or osces that I have pending, is to join 3 rd year in sept and be able to resit this module again, do you think Uni will allow me to do this as opposed to repeating a whole year meaning just attend lectures for this module which were very minimal as it is practice based module, so most of the year I will not attend uni ( yes I know I could work etc ) I am trying to see how I can present a mitigating plan for uni, I understand I might have to fund this module myself as it was already funded by SFW, but then apparently ( I have been speaking to several people) that come third year if I resit 2nd year ,I will have to fund this 3 rd year myself? Is this correct?( which is not going to be possible) I am a very very mature student just need to complete this course as quickly as I can
Some one please help , I am just so stressed about it feeling so deflated, depressed

Sorry without me googling then what is osce. I can surmise its some sort of practical professional test.
I assume you are doing a degree.
Is this your first degree? If its your first degree, then how many years of student finance have you used. Is this your first two?

What will uni allow? This is entirely up to the uni and your course organiser.
Normally when you fail a module you resit it in the summer July/ August, but I am unsure whether the same rule applies to OSCE.
Do you have any extenuating circumstances/ illness/ personal reasons as to why you failed?

On occasion if its a small non core module they may allow you to either resit and capped if appropriate or rarely you can carry it.
the answer will be in the rules available on the website, but it may still boil down to discretion and how much you failed by.

Normally a single module they work out something for just a resit rather than a retake involving lectures. I dont know what happened or what you need.

If you have extenuating and can get GP letter then that would help.

Give me some more information even uni and course and I will see if I can add anything.

Go and see the su advisor plus your PT tomorrow.
Reply 2
Thank you for your response , much appreciated.

To answer your questions , Yes it’s a midwifery degree and I am a 2nd year student, first degree
It was mainly nerves that got the best of me, when I did my first attempt I didn’t do this mistake so the 2nd attempt I was concentrating on what I failed on and somehow made this mistake which I can’t even remember doing !!but apparently I did. The problem is in my practice placement they do this “mistake” all the time but it’s not good practice but in uni we are told to do it differently and this osce was meant to be done as per uni and they are quite aware of this practice so I guess it was all up to me. I also had some family problems going on in my life which was causing a lot of stress and was trying very hard to blank everything plus doing a part time job to support myself financially but I guess that is not their problem. So it was stress all around( don’t get bursaries etc started in 2017, I have to top up maintainence loan to be able to pay rent etc).

It Is a core module , I passed the other exam in this module but it was the osce part of it that I failed)
I really wanted help with a mitigation plan to present to uni, but I guess I need to know what the options are, tried to check website but can’t seem to find a criteria for my situation for mitigating circumstances.
What I would like is be able to do this module or even just do a 3rd attempt for the osce either this year or in my third year, even if it means completing slightly later on next year if you know what I mean .
Yes I will contact su see if they can advise,
The other problem they might not allow me to carry on my practice placement if I have to repeat 2nd year, so will be out of practice for a whole year but just be able to do the module again, it just sounds so unfair, sorry if I am going on

Original post by 999tigger
Sorry without me googling then what is osce. I can surmise its some sort of practical professional test.
I assume you are doing a degree.
Is this your first degree? If its your first degree, then how many years of student finance have you used. Is this your first two?

What will uni allow? This is entirely up to the uni and your course organiser.
Normally when you fail a module you resit it in the summer July/ August, but I am unsure whether the same rule applies to OSCE.
Do you have any extenuating circumstances/ illness/ personal reasons as to why you failed?

On occasion if its a small non core module they may allow you to either resit and capped if appropriate or rarely you can carry it.
the answer will be in the rules available on the website, but it may still boil down to discretion and how much you failed by.

Normally a single module they work out something for just a resit rather than a retake involving lectures. I dont know what happened or what you need.

If you have extenuating and can get GP letter then that would help.

Give me some more information even uni and course and I will see if I can add anything.

Go and see the su advisor plus your PT tomorrow.
Moved to Nursing and Midwifery forum. :smile:
Reply 4
Is someone able to give me any further advice please regarding my osce issue?
Reply 5
Thank you 999trigger for your response I have replied to your response have you got any further advice that you can add as suggested please?
Original post by Senioba12
Thank you for your response , much appreciated.

To answer your questions , Yes it’s a midwifery degree and I am a 2nd year student, first degree
It was mainly nerves that got the best of me, when I did my first attempt I didn’t do this mistake so the 2nd attempt I was concentrating on what I failed on and somehow made this mistake which I can’t even remember doing !!but apparently I did. The problem is in my practice placement they do this “mistake” all the time but it’s not good practice but in uni we are told to do it differently and this osce was meant to be done as per uni and they are quite aware of this practice so I guess it was all up to me. I also had some family problems going on in my life which was causing a lot of stress and was trying very hard to blank everything plus doing a part time job to support myself financially but I guess that is not their problem. So it was stress all around( don’t get bursaries etc started in 2017, I have to top up maintainence loan to be able to pay rent etc).

It Is a core module , I passed the other exam in this module but it was the osce part of it that I failed)
I really wanted help with a mitigation plan to present to uni, but I guess I need to know what the options are, tried to check website but can’t seem to find a criteria for my situation for mitigating circumstances.
What I would like is be able to do this module or even just do a 3rd attempt for the osce either this year or in my third year, even if it means completing slightly later on next year if you know what I mean .
Yes I will contact su see if they can advise,
The other problem they might not allow me to carry on my practice placement if I have to repeat 2nd year, so will be out of practice for a whole year but just be able to do the module again, it just sounds so unfair, sorry if I am going on

Sorry for the late reply have been a bit occupied with other threads and wasnt in the right frame to answer late last night.

1. What you need to understand is universities have a rulebook and thats what they run by when considering degree progression. the rules will be on the website or in the handbook. They can be similar to other unis, but always particular to your uni. We dont know your uni so you will need to look at the rules. It will state what happens when you fail a module and may state what happen when you fail the resit. They arent going to reinvent the rules for you.

2. In situations where you have a reason for failure caused by unavoidable events such as health or other worries, which affected your performance then you can make an extenuating circumstances claim. This may reduce the penalty they impose or allow them to show some flexibility. There are deadlines forms and procedures for this. Again on the website or ask the student advisor. They vary from uni to uni.

3. What was new is that the fail was a second fail and not first. I might have missed that. Normal degrees for fails go fail- allowed to resit but capped- fail again, then retake. You need to look at the rules.
What IU would be more concerned about is less in having to retake the year, but Nursing and midwifery can be very strict. I dont mean to panic you, but they can be harsh when it comes to fails, such that after the second they could withdraw you. At least that has been the experience of nurses posting on these forums.

4. You can put in a claim for mitigating circumstances after you have read the rules.
If you had medical issues, then a supporting GPs letter will be helpful. Unless you have a 3rd party confirming then it will carry less sway. Money worries etc will also be ok to mention.

In your case you need to be very careful in how you mitigate. My worry is if you get it wrong and say you were stressed then you made a mistake, then you go towards fitness to practice issues. You cant afford to be careless and make mistakes. You may be able to say you did have things going on and you followed the way they do it on the placement rather than in class. You realise it was wrong and you followed the class taught procedure on the first attempt. You just need to be careful what you say and how you are saying it.

5. So where does this leave you? It depends what the rules say. As per original suggestion talk to PT and student advisor. Nursing and midwifery are slightly different from normal degrees as they have the professional aspects. In the case you can put in an extenuating circs claim then get one in by the deadline but be careful of the narrative and talking yourself into more trouble.
It may be the rules dont allow just for another resit or it may be viewed as minor and they let you proceed. It is likely the department will have discretion. Your tutor should know what is possible or whether it is never allowed. I cant comment on how your uni deals with it.

6. Maybe@charlottesweb would be kind enough to offer her insight or I suggest you also contact the Royal College of Midwives and their helpline.
https://www.rcm.org.uk/contact-us/

For a normal degree and speaking generally then you could be met with the whole range of solutions depending on what they decided and how serious they took the issue. It could be they let you carry it, but other unis would make you resit or retake the module for the year and not progress, whereas others would be more brutal. It would help if you were a close fail as well.

Thats as much as I can see. See how you get on with 6, the PT and student advisor plus the rules. You might also investigate what the supervisor on placement thinks , especially if you are doing well. The situation you are in follows rules and procedures.
They follow them and so must you. It isnt a case of just throwing in mitigation and please give me another go.

Follow the rules, know whats needed and think carefully how you present your narrative. Evidence makes your case much stronger.
It is completely down to them what they think and the solution they decide on. They can give you what you want, but they can also make other less favourable decisions. I cant second guess that. Tutor might know.

GL

Input from any midwives etc welcome......
Reply 7
Thank you very much for your comprehensive feedback, much appreciated,

Yes I have finally read the guidelines some of them are not very clear though.only allowed 2 attempts,

I have taken aboard your advise on mitigation circumstances, stil waiting to hear from SU to see if I can argue that placement trust use the practice.

The unfair thing about it all is that you are not allowed to carry on practice placement during this year off , so you will join 3rd year after being out of practice for that long , I can’t see how this is beneficial to anyone . It’s like they set you to fail. Placement will be expecting so much of you at that point, sorry for my rant

They are also asking £500 even though it will require 6 lectures before taking the osce again and I passed the other half of the module.
Is charlotteweb another member, Tried RCM no help
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry for the late reply have been a bit occupied with other threads and wasnt in the right frame to answer late last night.

1. What you need to understand is universities have a rulebook and thats what they run by when considering degree progression. the rules will be on the website or in the handbook. They can be similar to other unis, but always particular to your uni. We dont know your uni so you will need to look at the rules. It will state what happens when you fail a module and may state what happen when you fail the resit. They arent going to reinvent the rules for you.

2. In situations where you have a reason for failure caused by unavoidable events such as health or other worries, which affected your performance then you can make an extenuating circumstances claim. This may reduce the penalty they impose or allow them to show some flexibility. There are deadlines forms and procedures for this. Again on the website or ask the student advisor. They vary from uni to uni.

3. What was new is that the fail was a second fail and not first. I might have missed that. Normal degrees for fails go fail- allowed to resit but capped- fail again, then retake. You need to look at the rules.
What IU would be more concerned about is less in having to retake the year, but Nursing and midwifery can be very strict. I dont mean to panic you, but they can be harsh when it comes to fails, such that after the second they could withdraw you. At least that has been the experience of nurses posting on these forums.

4. You can put in a claim for mitigating circumstances after you have read the rules.
If you had medical issues, then a supporting GPs letter will be helpful. Unless you have a 3rd party confirming then it will carry less sway. Money worries etc will also be ok to mention.

In your case you need to be very careful in how you mitigate. My worry is if you get it wrong and say you were stressed then you made a mistake, then you go towards fitness to practice issues. You cant afford to be careless and make mistakes. You may be able to say you did have things going on and you followed the way they do it on the placement rather than in class. You realise it was wrong and you followed the class taught procedure on the first attempt. You just need to be careful what you say and how you are saying it.

5. So where does this leave you? It depends what the rules say. As per original suggestion talk to PT and student advisor. Nursing and midwifery are slightly different from normal degrees as they have the professional aspects. In the case you can put in an extenuating circs claim then get one in by the deadline but be careful of the narrative and talking yourself into more trouble.
It may be the rules dont allow just for another resit or it may be viewed as minor and they let you proceed. It is likely the department will have discretion. Your tutor should know what is possible or whether it is never allowed. I cant comment on how your uni deals with it.

6. Maybe@charlottesweb would be kind enough to offer her insight or I suggest you also contact the Royal College of Midwives and their helpline.
https://www.rcm.org.uk/contact-us/

For a normal degree and speaking generally then you could be met with the whole range of solutions depending on what they decided and how serious they took the issue. It could be they let you carry it, but other unis would make you resit or retake the module for the year and not progress, whereas others would be more brutal. It would help if you were a close fail as well.

Thats as much as I can see. See how you get on with 6, the PT and student advisor plus the rules. You might also investigate what the supervisor on placement thinks , especially if you are doing well. The situation you are in follows rules and procedures.
They follow them and so must you. It isnt a case of just throwing in mitigation and please give me another go.

Follow the rules, know whats needed and think carefully how you present your narrative. Evidence makes your case much stronger.
It is completely down to them what they think and the solution they decide on. They can give you what you want, but they can also make other less favourable decisions. I cant second guess that. Tutor might know.

GL

Input from any midwives etc welcome......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending