The Student Room Group

Biology gcse science

When an exam questions ask how are minerals absorbed . How do I tell if it is active transport or diffusion
Active transport is against concentration gradient(low to high) and requires energy
Diffusion is with concentration gradient (high to low)
Also osmosis is basically the same thing as diffusion except it’s water molecules across a semi permeable membrane.
active transport is the only one that goes from low to high
cells with lots of mitochondria are more suited for this as they are able to respire more and therefore get more energy to absorb the lower gradient
you will also be able to tell which by the question, eg. if it talks about intestines/guts, root hairs, its very most likely active transport
i dont know many questions about mineral absorption that need diffusion, actually
The question will be of two ways:
1.) It states that calcium ions have a low concentration in the egg shell and a high concentration in the cytoplasm. Explain how it is transported.
They inform you that it is a low to a high concentration movement, so you know automatically it is active transport and against a concentration gradient.

2.) Root hair cells contain many mitochondria. Root hair cells also absorb water from the soil. Why does it need mitochondria?
You know mitochondria = respiration = energy and therefore energy is required for active transport.
Original post by lilTrain
active transport is the only one that goes from low to high
cells with lots of mitochondria are more suited for this as they are able to respire more and therefore get more energy to absorb the lower gradient
you will also be able to tell which by the question, eg. if it talks about intestines/guts, root hairs, its very most likely active transport
i dont know many questions about mineral absorption that need diffusion, actually

Isn’t gas exchange from lungs to capillaries diffusion?
thats right (between capillaries and blood cells)
Original post by Claydo66
Isn’t gas exchange from lungs to capillaries diffusion?

Quick Reply

Latest