Harshblues
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
When an exam questions ask how are minerals absorbed . How do I tell if it is active transport or diffusion
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Active transport is against concentration gradient(low to high) and requires energy
Diffusion is with concentration gradient (high to low)
Also osmosis is basically the same thing as diffusion except it’s water molecules across a semi permeable membrane.
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
active transport is the only one that goes from low to high
cells with lots of mitochondria are more suited for this as they are able to respire more and therefore get more energy to absorb the lower gradient
you will also be able to tell which by the question, eg. if it talks about intestines/guts, root hairs, its very most likely active transport
i dont know many questions about mineral absorption that need diffusion, actually
TheCapstan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The question will be of two ways:
1.) It states that calcium ions have a low concentration in the egg shell and a high concentration in the cytoplasm. Explain how it is transported.
They inform you that it is a low to a high concentration movement, so you know automatically it is active transport and against a concentration gradient.

2.) Root hair cells contain many mitochondria. Root hair cells also absorb water from the soil. Why does it need mitochondria?
You know mitochondria = respiration = energy and therefore energy is required for active transport.
Claydo66
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lilTrain)
active transport is the only one that goes from low to high
cells with lots of mitochondria are more suited for this as they are able to respire more and therefore get more energy to absorb the lower gradient
you will also be able to tell which by the question, eg. if it talks about intestines/guts, root hairs, its very most likely active transport
i dont know many questions about mineral absorption that need diffusion, actually
Isn’t gas exchange from lungs to capillaries diffusion?
lilTrain
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
thats right (between capillaries and blood cells)
(Original post by Claydo66)
Isn’t gas exchange from lungs to capillaries diffusion?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (24)
6.09%
Uncertainty around my education (44)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (46)
11.68%
Lack of purpose or motivation (52)
13.2%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (20)
5.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (18)
4.57%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (41)
10.41%
Financial worries (27)
6.85%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (16)
4.06%
Exposure to negative news/social media (25)
6.35%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (11)
2.79%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (39)
9.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (31)
7.87%

Watched Threads