Computer science (COM1) OCR predictions?

Watch
antics
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The exam's tomorrow...

Any predictions on what will come up? I know there's little content in there so I should expect a bit of everything, but is there anything in particular anyone thinks I should crack down on beforehand?

Just getting kinda worried because I'm losing my concentration and need to focus on less so I don't overwhelm myself.
StevenObalawonga
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think we basically know there is definitely going to be a question on storage which is standard (Optical, Magnetic, Primary, Secondary, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if we get a scenario question about the CPU (No. of cores, No. of Cache, Clock Speed). Knowing All the Application Layers (Application lvl 4, Transport lvl 3, Internet lvl 2, Link lvl 1) is useful as well as knowing SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), FTP (File Transfer Protocol), HTTP/HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol/Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure), IMap (Internet Message Access Protocol) and POP3 (Post office Protocol version 3) and what they do. Topologies is also something which may come up so knowing them (Mesh, Star, Bus, Ring). Knowing Networks (Client-Server or Peer-To-Peer). ALSO MAKE SURE TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PROPRIETARY AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE. Yeah, that should do it.
antics
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by StevenObalawonga)
I think we basically know there is definitely going to be a question on storage which is standard (Optical, Magnetic, Primary, Secondary, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if we get a scenario question about the CPU (No. of cores, No. of Cache, Clock Speed). Knowing All the Application Layers (Application lvl 4, Transport lvl 3, Internet lvl 2, Link lvl 1) is useful as well as knowing SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), FTP (File Transfer Protocol), HTTP/HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol/Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure), IMap (Internet Message Access Protocol) and POP3 (Post office Protocol version 3) and what they do. Topologies is also something which may come up so knowing them (Mesh, Star, Bus, Ring). Knowing Networks (Client-Server or Peer-To-Peer). ALSO MAKE SURE TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PROPRIETARY AND OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE. Yeah, that should do it.
God thank you so much! The protocols and the CPU stuff really educated me, thanks a bunch.

I should definitely concentrate more on protocols, though. I feel like it's my weakest.
Do you think that there's going to be a substantial marker on ethics and legal implications of something?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (114)
40.14%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (31)
10.92%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (22)
7.75%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (65)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
11.62%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.69%

Watched Threads