munbe
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!
The 12 mark questions are usually what brings my grades down and I mainly get 9-10 marks for them. I was wondering if there was any specific structure or tips that would help me to achieve 11-12 marks? Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Mason James
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is a method I tried in class but not for mocks, don't know if it'll help but here it is:

-start with; Some .... strongly agree/disagree....then explain that point
-then another two paragraphs supporting the statement (furthermore, lastly as paragraph starters)
-then an overall summary/evaluation statement saying why those are good points
-repeat method for arguments for/against
-conclusion on what is the most convincing

so in summary: 3for/against , evaluation, 3 against/for, evaluation then conclusion
munbe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mason James)
This is a method I tried in class but not for mocks, don't know if it'll help but here it is:

-start with; Some .... strongly agree/disagree....then explain that point
-then another two paragraphs supporting the statement (furthermore, lastly as paragraph starters)
-then an overall summary/evaluation statement saying why those are good points
-repeat method for arguments for/against
-conclusion on what is the most convincing

so in summary: 3for/against , evaluation, 3 against/for, evaluation then conclusion
thank you! would you say I should link back to the question in each paragraph?
Mason James
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes, but the paragraph shouldn't be filled with links to the question. Just ensure the examiner knows that you're not going off topic and that you are talking about the question. Here's a paragraph I did, it shouldn't take long to do, id say around 1-1.5 minutes per paragraph

e.g "the sacraments are the best way to feel close to God" (12)

(2nd paragraph): Furthermore, sacraments bring Catholics closer to God: they're an outward sign of an invisible grace. The sacraments can be used by God to communicate with people and deepen their relationship with him. It's also a way for the Holy Spirit to put believers into communion with Christ.

I reckon it should be 2marks per paragraph, I got two marks for each of my paragraphs following this format. Although I did only get 11/12 for this question
munbe
Rep:
?
I see, thank you! much appreciated
yes, but the paragraph shouldn't be filled with links to the question. Just ensure the examiner knows that you're not going off topic and that you are talking about the question. Here's a paragraph I did, it shouldn't take long to do, id say around 1-1.5 minutes per paragraph

(2nd paragraph): Furthermore, sacraments bring Catholics closer to God: they're an outward sign of an invisible grace. The sacraments can be used by God to communicate with people and deepen their relationship with him. It's also a way for the Holy Spirit to put believers into communion with Christ.

I reckon it should be 2marks per paragraph, I got two marks for each of my paragraphs following this format. Although I did only get 11/12 for this question
Magsapyo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
that's one way of approaching the question.
I tend to do chunky paragraphs --the PEEL method
you need a balanced argument too to get full marks so I do 2 points for, have evidence, then explain and link, then do the same again but for against.
Finally, I do a conclusion if I have time, and this normally gets me 12 marks.

a13rz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This might not be the most helpful message but you also get marked based on your SPAG (spelling punctuation and grammar), so you will lose marks for incorrect use of SPAG.Also i go for the structure like so:Paragraph 1- FEE CEEParagraph 2- FEE CEEParagraph 3- FEE CEEParagraph 4- ConclusionMake sure that you use quotes from your chosen Religions and they must be accurate and be able to defend your point.I hope you improve your 12 mark questions
Tia_191
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What does the letters in FEE CEE Paragraph stand for?
Last edited by Tia_191; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (22)
28.57%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (44)
57.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.19%

Watched Threads