Could the legalisation of weed lead to a rise of use of harder drugs?

Watch
spaceyat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
In no way am I saying that this question has any factual reinforcement, in truth, I don't know of the differences in statistics since countries & states have legalised it.
In my sociology class, we were debating the arguments of legalising weed, with the vast majority (me included) in favour of it being de-criminalised in the UK. However during the discussion, I started to wonder, if what sociologists like Lyng and Katz say is true (some people commit crime for the thrill of it and because of its deviant connotations in regard to gaining status within peer groups), would the legalisation of weed actually lead to the rise of young people taking higher class drugs as a way of compensating for weeds non-deviancy?
I am aware that young people do already take class A drugs & so on, but I was wondering if this is an actually viable question & if so would it have more than a minute impact on uses of harder drugs.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I rather doubt it. If pot heads move on to harder drugs its due to various other factors with the fact they smoked some grass not even close to ranking.
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is a theory that weed leads to the use of harder drugs because weed users are in contact with drug dealers. Therefore it is not actually the weed that is leading to the use of harder drugs but because it is illegal. If the theory is true, then if weed was available legally it would drastically reduce the number of weed users who come into contact with drug dealers, with the result that far fewer weed users will turn to hard drugs.

I have mentioned this theory to the local police and they are very unconvinced. I stressed that no evidence exists that cigarettes or alcohol lead to the use of illegal drugs and a prominent factor behind this is that you don't need to go to a drug dealer to buy cigarettes or alcohol.
username4454836
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From what I have seen amongst my own peer group smoking tobacco is generally what comes before weed. So the habitual smokers are more likely to regular stoners whereas the people who only smoke when they drink will partake irregularly.

I don't think there would be a rise because of how drug procurement typically occurs. If you already have a dealer and you want to try a different drugs then typically you would ask if they know anyone that has it. Decriminalisation of usage won't make dealing any less secretive, so unless you already have those connections it won't make a lot of difference.

We are currently living in an age where you can get Class A's delivered faster than a pizza. The police are few and far between rarely looking to catch end users. Illegal drug use is probably the easiest it has ever been. But I don't think there has been a noticeable difference to the country.
spaceyat
Rep:
?
(Original post by username4454836)
From what I have seen amongst my own peer group smoking tobacco is generally what comes before weed. So the habitual smokers are more likely to regular stoners whereas the people who only smoke when they drink will partake irregularly.

I don't think there would be a rise because of how drug procurement typically occurs. If you already have a dealer and you want to try a different drugs then typically you would ask if they know anyone that has it. Decriminalisation of usage won't make dealing any less secretive, so unless you already have those connections it won't make a lot of difference.

We are currently living in an age where you can get Class A's delivered faster than a pizza. The police are few and far between rarely looking to catch end users. Illegal drug use is probably the easiest it has ever been. But I don't think there has been a noticeable difference to the country.
It's interesting because within my peer group it's quite the opposite. I have more friends who smoke due to habit/addiction/enjoyment (me included) who don't smoke weed, and those who smoke weed typically don't smoke **** (or only smoke socially). In both regards they mainly do this conscious of the health risk associated to each - smokers would say they are generally more worried about the knock-on mental affect some experience with weed, whereas the weed smokers would say they're more worried about their physical health from daily smoking. There are also a lot more weed smokers that take heavier drugs comparatively. I assume it's just relative to your peers & the area.

Although I agree with you, what I was wondering about is the idea that if weed is legalised and it is therefore not seen as something someone smokes for status among friends, because there is no risk in being caught, wouldn't the people who would have begun smoking weed as a way of 'showing off' to mates because it is illegal (which I have seen many times when I was younger), move on to heavier drugs as a way of doing this same thing?
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by spaceyat)
In both regards they mainly do this conscious of the health risk associated to each - smokers would say they are generally more worried about the knock-on mental affect some experience with weed, whereas the weed smokers would say they're more worried about their physical health from daily smoking.
Silly tobacco users, tobacco use also correlates with mental health disorders, for instance around 90% of schizophrenics are tobacco users.
spaceyat
Rep:
?
Yeah, as does smoking weed affect the body, especially when considering most people I know use tobacco in joints. Not to the same extent & not as drastically, maybe, but still. Obviously, it isn't a good idea to smoke either of them. CBD and THC oil can supplement for weed if it's being smoked for its proposed positive health attributes. Both arguments are flawed.
(Original post by the beer)
Silly tobacco users, tobacco use also correlates with mental health disorders, for instance around 90% of schizophrenics are tobacco users.
Last edited by spaceyat; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads