The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

duke5
You have no relatives, friends, or acquaintances in the British armed forces, FACT, don't come back saying you have X friends in the forces because you do not.

If you did, you'd know people in the army, Raf, Navy etc are normal people, some looking for a good, structured career, some to serve this increasingly repugnant country and some because they come from socially disadvantaged backgrounds without such niceties as internet access you comfortably criticise them for.

You have no idea what you're on about and watch too much rambo.

True, nobody I associate myself with is in the military. Many of my friends are involved in anti-military activism and I chose not to spend time with people who support war. If people just wanted a good career there are other places to go.. its not a justification to kill.
SoundDevastation
True, nobody I associate myself with is in the military. Many of my friends are involved in anti-military activism and I chose not to spend time with people who support war. If people just wanted a good career there are other places to go.. its not a justification to kill.

If you think people join the army to justifiably kill people, and for no other reason, then I'm afraid you are very mistaken.
mikeyd85
If you think people join the army to justifiably kill people, and for no other reason, then I'm afraid you are very mistaken.

Im aware of that... my point was that whatever their reasons, I dont think they can justify supporting the military.
Reply 63
SoundDevastation

You are utterly deluded if you think the average recruit joins the army to fight Blair's wars in the Middle East, you are deluded if you think the British armed forces, of all the most benign in the West, has this distorted sadistic psyche in which manifestly sets out to injure, kill and ruin the lives of foreign lands, you are not on the correct planet.

Most of the Defence expenditure (outside Trident) is spent on peacekeeping, nation-building projects and so on. You're looking at the armed forces through the scope of imperialism and not do-gooding. You're views are outdated and belong ONLY in the students' union, out of harms way.
SoundDevastation
Im aware of that... my point was that whatever their reasons, I dont think they can justify supporting the military.

I don't think they try justifing the military tbf. They justify their actions for their country, for their queen, for freedom. Military personelle genuinely believe they are doing the right thing. Yes, it's an opinion, but we're all entitled to one.

I used to be like you, ya know, until I really got to know a militar dude.

Also, if you have some time check out this video. It's really quite an enlightening watch.
All of you in this thread that say army forces are bad people etc as they can kill, stfu and get over yourself. They're over there doing something you could never do, so basically; shut the **** up.
Reply 66
Shout Box
What you date someone whos trained to kill? Who is Mentally and physically constantly tested and hard to break, someone who has completed 32 weeks of 1 of the hardest military training in the world? Whos been trained to hold his emotions and carry out orders his been given even if it involed killing someone?

What you still date / stay with them even though they could not be around for 6months in a war zone and may not come home?

I know people sometimes degrade soldiers but girls would you not date some because of there job?

Do the Royal Marines not admit women yet?

Because that would interest me...
Reply 67
L i b
Do the Royal Marines not admit women yet?

Because that would interest me...

No, they don't because it is an infantry unit, women can do almost everything men can do in all the forces apart from frontline infantry fire fighting because it is beyond the cries for Equality, because women fighting alongside physically larger, more agile men, against a physically stronger male enermy, will enganer the lives of both them and their comrades.
Reply 68
No I wouldn't. Even if the guy treated me like a princess I still wouldn't. I'm very against war and I wouldn't be able to understand a guy who's job is to kill others.
Reply 69
Course they would, marines come with the whole tough guy image which some girls love. Bit of a silly thread to be honest :P
Possibly... would depend on whether I loved the guy as an individual though. I wouldn't marry someone I didn't love, *whatever* they did.
As for the "trained to kill" stuff, :dontknow: it's your job... and most who do it do a very good job. I know I wouldn't be able to do it, and so respect those who could/do. People like you do a very good job on the whole, with the **** you have to deal with.

(Besides, squaddie bodies are hot! :wink: ) :yep:
Hell, yes! :fan:
Reply 72
Anonymous.
Absolutely not!

If its a war of good cause that prevents the new world order I will think about it, but someone who kills someone for oil or power oh please.

How about helping to bring stability to a country which has seen war in one form or another for the past couple of centuries? I'd say that's a humane reason if nothing else.

Get a grip.

Poshtotty
No I wouldn't. Even if the guy treated me like a princess I still wouldn't. I'm very against war and I wouldn't be able to understand a guy who's job is to kill others.

That's quite naive.

Sorry, I'm not a chick. Will now wind my neck in and let the ladies crack on. Just got flashed up there.
I have met quite a few Royal Marines, and those have been some pretty decent blokes. Down to earth and good to chat to. Their look on life is quite unique.

I have full respect to anyone that is RM (as there is no such thing as an ex-marine so they say) and therefore someone who has gotten through the arduous 32 week training.

That said, I think people are overreacting when saying they wouldn't want to date someone that is trained to kill. They are indeed, but they are also trained to be many other things too. That's what being a commando is all about.
Reply 74
Any girls saying yes should be shot.
punktopia
Any girls saying yes should be shot.

Why?
Reply 76
thunder_chunky
Why?

Just better that way.
punktopia
Just better that way.

Elaborate please.
boot_neck
How about helping to bring stability to a country which has seen war in one form or another for the past couple of centuries? I'd say that's a humane reason if nothing else.

Get a grip.

That's quite naive.

Sorry, I'm not a chick. Will now wind my neck in and let the ladies crack on. Just got flashed up there.

That is my opinion and that is your opinion - dont show attitude to me.
That post was ages ago why bring it up?!

Arg some people. :rolleyes:
Reply 79
was just reading through, thought i'd air my opinions on the matter. And just to elaborate, i know that my lads have HELPED to save a handful of lives. It is NOT our job to simply to kill, and that kind of simplistic outlook is more of a reflection upon yourself then us.

Anyway, i'm aware this has been completely hijacked now. Many apologies. I'm going to thin out.

Latest

Trending

Trending