Statement from the Prime Minister: Madeleine McCann and Operation Grange Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago

What is this thread about?
This is a statement in the Model House of Commons (MHoC), made by a minister in the TSR Government. It's a way ministers can communicate their plans to the rest of parliament, but it doesn't have any binding effect and it won't be voted on. All are welcome and encouraged to ask questions about the statement's content and join in the debate – you don't have to be in a party or be an MP to do so.

What is the MHoC?
It's a political role-playing game where we pretend to be the House of Commons, and it's been going since 2005. We have formed parties, we have elections twice a year, and we debate bills and motions just like the real-life parliament. If you want to know more about how the MHoC works, your first port of call is the user manual. If you'd like to get involved and possibly join a party, you want the welcome thread.

Statement from the Prime Minister: Madeleine McCann and Operation Grange

Statement from Her Majesty’s Prime Minister on behalf of Her Majesty’s Government
The Right Honourable ns_2 MP

Regarding the future of Operation Grange

Mr Speaker,

I wished to take the time to inform the House, in both my capacity as Prime Minister and as Secretary of State for the Home Department, surrounding the progress made and future of Operation Grange - the investigation headed up by the Metropolitan Police into the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, in Praia da Luz, Faro, Portugal on the 3rd of May 2007.

Operation Grange was launched in May 2011 funded by the Home Office, and in the eight years that it has been running, a significant depth of inquiry has been undertaken - for this, I wish to personally thank the Metropolitan Police taskforce for their dedication to the cause, and for their otherwise pragmatic pursuit of the truth, in what can only be described as an emotive case. It with this in mind that I wish to confirm to the House that funding for the case officially expired on the 31st of March 2019, and that the Home Office has since received a further request to extend funding for a further six months.

With over £11.75 million having already been assigned to Operation Grange, the Home Office and my government must weigh up the costs and benefits from a pragmatic view, and not simply one of blind emotion. After consulting further with the Metropolitan Police, and counterparts in the both the Portuguese government and the Polícia Judiciária, I have deemed it necessary to formally reject the request for further funding, and shall instruct the Metropolitan Police to otherwise wind up this investigation.

We have full confidence in the investigation ongoing in the Portuguese Republic, and where possible will continue to support them strategically. We simply do not believe that running another investigation in parallel is necessary, nor expedient - one must continue to consider the countless number of children who go missing annually, and who do not have the opportunity to have vast amounts of resources dedicated to their case; we must consider fairness - what has been allowed to occur is a gross misallocation of resources, something that cannot be allowed to occur. Depending on the outcome of the investigation by the Polícia Judiciária, we may attempt to seek redress from the relevant parties if it is deemed that fraud has occured; although no formal decision has been taken at this moment in time.

We cannot apologise enough to the parents of other children: this department made a grave mistake, and will - if redress can occur - commit to dedicating any recouped funds to national projects and schemes surrounding missing children.

I commend this Statement to the House.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
All we need now is a couple of arrests for, at the very least, child neglect
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
A statement which has my full support. The McCanns have had way too much taxpayer's money already.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I welcome this statement.
SoggyCabbages
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
This statement has my full backing. This investigation continuing seems senseless, it's been so many years, realistically are we going to progress on the case? No.
SankaraInBloom
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Very pleased with this outcome, hopefully we can see justice done regarding the neglect of a minor who is almost certainly no longer with us.
Laminae
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
As sad as it is, all things must end. This investigation seems fruitless when considering the number of years that have elapsed since her initial disappearance. She is most likely dead, or does not know her true identity.

The funding must cease.
Saracen's Fez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Debate on this statement has concluded.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (50)
30.67%
No (85)
52.15%
Don't know (28)
17.18%

Watched Threads