Engineering distance learning providers...

Watch
Spen9562
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi, first post!

I am in a stable job as a heating engineer that is pretty well paid but I am looking to broaden my horizons a bit and feel like adding another dimension to my employability for the future.

I am considering doing an Engineering BTEC Level 3 and/or a Level 4 HNC with one of the following distance learning providers:

- engineers.academy
- Tecol
- UniCourse.org
- Semester Learning & Development

Has anyone used the above providers? There isn't much information or many reviews around (apart from their own websites) from people who have used them.

Do employers view the courses as equal to say a university or college? I have been intouch with all 4 and - without being naive - they all sound really good, affordable and very flexible.

I know they aren't the traditional route to gain these qualifications but the way the courses are delivered would suit my lifestyle, I couldn't possibly attend full-time.

Is it better to do the Level 3 before the HNC or, if capable, go straight for the HNC? There are 'bridging' courses available to get you ready for the HNC but I'm thinking it might be best to do either a 6/9/12 unit Level 3 course first, obviously it would be more expensive that way!

Any info much appreciated.
gavalar2010
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
im also looking at these. Unicourse.org looks good. Tecol looked ok but didn't look as good. Have you gone with any of these?,
Spen9562
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Not just yet, still researching!

Which course are you thinking of doing and what field is it for?
gavalar2010
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hoping to do HNC electrical engineering. Iv looked into them and had my application accepted at unicourse.org, I just don't seem to be getting any reviews. Was wondering if it was a scam
Wb1971
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi I have completed the 6U Dip with Tecol last year which was really good. Always lots of support if I needed it which wasn’t too often. Employers do recognise these qualifications as they are the exact same that traditional colleges provide as its the same awarding body Pearson-BTEC. I secured a decent pay rise with the level 3 and have signed up and am now starting a HNC with Tecol in Mec Eng mid-June. I too have looked at the same organisations you have and agree that they all do the same thing from what I can see. Tecol are slightly better priced from what I can see (and it counts for me as I have 2 young ones to feed) and I am sticking with Tecol as they were very helpful and it worked for me on their level 3 so I am confident that it will with the HNC with them. I would have done this on a day release initially but couldn’t get the time off work so I thought I was stuck until I realised you get the exact same qualifications this way. I don’t think many people realise this nowadays but it really suits me as I can still work and do the course anytime whenever it suits me. Good luck with whatever way you go and it is worth it when you get the Certificate at the end and the. Maybe even another pay rise!
Anonymous #1
Report 7 months ago
I have been to Univeristy and completed a BSc (hons).

I am now doing a HNC with unicourse ltd, and can honestly say the course is more in-depth than my degree. The support is incredible, and the workbooks are remarkable.

It’s fully accredited - meaning, it’s the EXACT same qualification you’d get at any college.

When going to uni, people look at the university ranking to determine if it’s a high quality degree. However, as the awarding body is Pearson - Edexcel, the quality is exactly the same and the learning outcomes are the same. The certificate one obtains will be the same one as someone studying the HNC at any college in the UK

I fully recommend UniCourse

FYI I work in industry as a Mechanical Design Engineer and the course is already giving me extra knowledge.
94burns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Did you make your mind up in the end? I'm looking to do the HNC but thinking I should probably do the level 3 btec first.
Tenaciousd
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been to Univeristy and completed a BSc (hons).

I am now doing a HNC with unicourse ltd, and can honestly say the course is more in-depth than my degree. The support is incredible, and the workbooks are remarkable.

It’s fully accredited - meaning, it’s the EXACT same qualification you’d get at any college.

When going to uni, people look at the university ranking to determine if it’s a high quality degree. However, as the awarding body is Pearson - Edexcel, the quality is exactly the same and the learning outcomes are the same. The certificate one obtains will be the same one as someone studying the HNC at any college in the UK

I fully recommend UniCourse

FYI I work in industry as a Mechanical Design Engineer and the course is already giving me extra knowledge.
How did you get on with your unicourse hnc?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (181)
59.54%
No (67)
22.04%
Not sure (56)
18.42%

Watched Threads