Brain feels weird when revising Watch

sambeaz6
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Ok, so basically what's happening is that I'm revising a huge amount of content with my A level exams coming up every single day, and what's happened is, even though I'm taking massive breaks and only revising for half the day, when I come to revise my head feels kind of empty, like it's not engaging with the content. It's not even that I dont enjoy the content or I'm overwhelmed or stressed, just that my memory and retention rate seems to be absolutely terrible and I'm getting very little out of my revision.

The only way I can remember any of what I'm revising is through explaining what I've just read to myself vocally, but the fine details seem to get completely lost after a few days. Is this a normal feeling? Is there any way to make it go away? I'm getting kind of worried because I'm only maybe 10% the way through all of my revision so now isnt the time to be slowing down, it's the time to be picking up the pace. My brain just seems to be rejecting the revision process.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HoldThisL
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
brain feels weird best excuse to not revise
Birmingham City University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi sambeaz6,

There's a chance you're just feeling slightly overwhelmed with everything. It's great that you're making sure you are taking regular breaks. Are you making sure you're drinking plenty of water? It's going to sound daft and like we're pointing out the obvious, but if you're dehydrated your brain is definitely going to struggle to retain information properly. Also making sure that you are eating plenty of healthy food to ensure it's receiving the energy it needs to be working on all this revision.

If explaining your revision outloud is what's working best for you at the minute, go with it! Have you been recording yourself doing it? That way when you feel like the knowledge has slipped away a bit after a few days you can listen back to it?

Are you managing to fit in some exercise too? A 20 minute walk before starting your revision is a great way to clear your head, get some fresh air and tire your body out so that you get a better sleep at night.

We've got lots more tips to help you memorise your exam notes and tackle revision on our exams and revision website, if you feel like you need a bit more inspiration!

Good luck with everything, and fingers crossed your brain feels better soon!

The BCU team
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Is your revision active?
I.e. not just reading through information

If it was active- making mind maps, doing flash cards, summarising notes, annotating etc. you may feel like you are retaining more info
CuriosityYay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Brain feels weird: Why did you touch it?
Is it extra wobbly jelly now?
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Birmingham City University)
Hi sambeaz6,

There's a chance you're just feeling slightly overwhelmed with everything. It's great that you're making sure you are taking regular breaks. Are you making sure you're drinking plenty of water? It's going to sound daft and like we're pointing out the obvious, but if you're dehydrated your brain is definitely going to struggle to retain information properly. Also making sure that you are eating plenty of healthy food to ensure it's receiving the energy it needs to be working on all this revision.

If explaining your revision outloud is what's working best for you at the minute, go with it! Have you been recording yourself doing it? That way when you feel like the knowledge has slipped away a bit after a few days you can listen back to it?

Are you managing to fit in some exercise too? A 20 minute walk before starting your revision is a great way to clear your head, get some fresh air and tire your body out so that you get a better sleep at night.

We've got lots more tips to help you memorise your exam notes and tackle revision on our exams and revision website, if you feel like you need a bit more inspiration!

Good luck with everything, and fingers crossed your brain feels better soon!

The BCU team
Something something waffle woo university :soap:

(Original post by HoldThisL)
brain feels weird best excuse to not revise
Your brain feels weird because learning actually changes the physical structure. What you're feeling is most likely either slight tension headache -like sensations (which can be mitigated with water and maybe aspirin), or possibly your brain actually growing.

Stop whining and do your work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 20 May '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (50)
5.73%
Fairly positive (282)
32.3%
Just another year... (339)
38.83%
Is it 2020 yet? (202)
23.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise