26.67%
Liverpool 2019 (1)
6.67%
Nichrome
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What is your favourite ever premier league bottling?

1. Newcastle 1996 - 12 points ahead in February. A very funny bottling obviously because of Keegan's meltdown.

2. United 1998 - 11 points ahead with nine games remaining. Don't remember this bottle too well, but I'm sure some Arsenal fans will remember it fondly.

3. Arsenal 2008 - 5 points ahead in March. Memorable for Gallas' meltdown.

4. United 2012 - 8 points ahead with six games remaining. Quite a massive bottling with a crazy final day.

5. Liverpool 2014 - 5 points clear with three games remaining. Hilarious bottle job involving the speech, the slip and crystanbul complete with Suarez crying.

6. Spurs 2016 - Never were ahead, but couldn't keep it together to catch Leicester and completely imploded at Stamford Bridge. A very chucklesome bottling.

7. Liverpool 2019 - Blew a juicy 7 point lead. Should have gone back to 7 points ahead but couldn't beat Leicester.
UWS
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think anything can beat the Liverpool 2014 bottle job. Slippy G fail and then 3-3 with Palace was just gold.

Can't really say Liverpool bottled it this season though. City just more consistent.
TheMill100
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by UWS)
I don't think anything can beat the Liverpool 2014 bottle job. Slippy G fail and then 3-3 with Palace was just gold.

Can't really say Liverpool bottled it this season though. City just more consistent.
They bottled it at Everton.
sr90
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Liverpool haven't bottled anything. The only thing you can possibly put on Jurgen Klopp is not going for it at Old Trafford.

If you want a real end of season implosion, go watch the Battle of Stamford Bridge.

Andy Ftw
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by UWS)

This and This.

Edit: worth a mention: 1988/89 season. Liverpool losing to Arsenal at Anfield 2-0 on the last day to lose the league on GD, to Arsenal? Although Arsenal did lead for most of the season.
Last edited by Andy Ftw; 6 days ago
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Liverpool 2009 was surely more famous than Arsenal 2008? They were top at Christmas then fell off after being destabilised by Rafa and his facts, then United almost imploded in March and let them back into it? That was a very entertaining season.

All I really remember about United’s 1998 bottling is the Newcastle game at home where we went down into 2nd. Schmeichel had been out injured, came back and then got injured again and subbed off. Drew 1-1.
Saverah
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
It was the consistent draws against Leicester, Man Utd etc. If that didn't happen, this would be a different story
Last edited by Saverah; 4 days ago
ThePootisPower
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Liverpool got 93 points. That would've won the league in 16/17, 15/16 and 14/15. They didn't bottle it, they were a incredibly strong team that faced off against an even stronger team. That's not bottling (which is absolutely **cking it at the final hurdle), that's doing your best and still just coming up short.

I voted Spurs, btw. Tempting to vote Newcastle but considering Sunderland's recent history (and the bottling of our last games forcing us into the playoffs) I think it'd be a case of "throwing stones in glass houses" to take potshots at the Mags for (relatively) ancient history.
Last edited by ThePootisPower; 4 days ago
Shafy97
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Exactly, Liverpool and Man City were literally neck and neck back in January, to call a team a Bottlejob when there were still 14 games to play isn't fair anything could have happened in those games instead Liverpool should be praised for achieving such a remarkable feat in the premier league of 97 points especially against that City side.

However, I do believe that Spurs 2016 and Liverpool of 2014 were bottlejobs, Spurs mainly because they had poor results against teams they should have won against, too many draws and self implosion like in games they could have won but didn't like against West Brom, Chelsea and Arsenal, moreover Liverpool bottled 2014 because they had established a strong lead towards the end of that season and they had just lost their heads after that Chelsea game, by losing that game and drawing with Crystal Palace at the most crucial part of the season
(Original post by ThePootisPower)
Liverpool got 93 points. That would've won the league in 16/17, 15/16 and 14/15. They didn't bottle it, they were a incredibly strong team that faced off against an even stronger team. That's not bottling (which is absolutely **cking it at the final hurdle), that's doing your best and still just coming up short.

I voted Spurs, btw. Tempting to vote Newcastle but considering Sunderland's recent history (and the bottling of our last games forcing us into the playoffs) I think it'd be a case of "throwing stones in glass houses" to take potshots at the Mags for (relatively) ancient history.
Last edited by Shafy97; 4 days ago
ThePootisPower
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Shafy97)
Exactly, Liverpool and Man City were literally neck and neck back in January, to call a team a Bottlejob when there were still 14 games to play isn't fair anything could have happened in those games instead Liverpool should be praised for achieving such a remarkable feat in the premier league of 97 points especially against that City side.

However, I do believe that Spurs 2016 and Liverpool of 2014 were bottlejobs, Spurs mainly because they had poor results against teams they should have won against, too many draws and self implosion like in games they could have won but didn't like against West Brom, Chelsea and Arsenal, moreover Liverpool bottled 2014 because they had established a strong lead towards the end of that season and they had just lost their heads after that Chelsea game, by losing that game and drawing with Crystal Palace at the most crucial part of the season
Can you edit in a new line before the “however spurs 2016 and Liverpool 2014 were bottles” because that’s hard to read without it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Shafy97
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Yeah done it
Can you edit in a new line before the “however spurs 2016 and Liverpool 2014 were bottles” because that’s hard to read without it.
ThePootisPower
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
excellent. I also agree with everything you said there p much
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Shafy97
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Cheers mate
excellent. I also agree with everything you said there p much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (66)
14.93%
The paper was reasonable (222)
50.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
24.66%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
10.18%

Watched Threads