NUCLEOPHILIC SUBSTITUTION OF HALOGENALKANES simple question

Watch
JacobBob
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What I understand is that if a hydroxide was added to a halogenalkane in aqueous conditions, an alcohol is produced. But if a hydroxide was added to a halogenalkane in ethanolic conditions, an alkene is produced.

If that is true, then how can I add an organic "cosolvent" to the first mixture and still get an alcohol ? In fact, how can I use ethanol and still get and alcohol ?

I saw it in a past paper question , the question was on forming alcohols from halogenalkanes and they asked why ethanol was used in place of water as a solvent
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's all about the conditions. HOT, ethanolic strong/concentrated sodium hydroxide solution forms the ethoxide ion, which is the dehydrohalogenating agent.

For hydrolysis, you need to heat the halogenoalkane with an excess of water in the presence of hydroxide ions.

Both reactions are competing, so you adjust the conditions to try to ensure a maximum yield of the desired product.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (0)
0%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (0)
0%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (0)
0%
No, I haven't received any communication (3)
100%

Watched Threads