Art Foundation Year for International Student? Watch

kayanderson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I plan on applying to American universities for animation (eg. RISD, Calarts, USC), but I wanted to do a foundation year first, because I currently live in an area where I don't have access to a good artistic community. I am thinking of doing a diagnostic course because I want to check to see if I really am interested in animation.

I feel like a foundation year can be like a gap year for me, because many courses only require three days a week of attendance, and as I have never been to London, I feel like this could be an opportunity for me to experience an entirely different culture and environment. I am an international student in Asia, but am an American citizen, having grown up in the US for more than a decade. Currently I'm in IB Year 2, taking VA, but the teacher is not very experienced/good.

Would it be a good idea to do an art foundation course and then apply to an American university, or would it somehow hurt my chances? Especially since I am international student, would the added cost be worth it? I have never had the experience of being able to put art before academics, which is why I am excited to apply to a foundation course.
kayanderson
Rep:
?
Also, I forgot to mention that I'll most likely need to take a job to cover some expenses, so does anyone know about how that works in terms of visas?
MediaMel
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi kayanderson,

What a great plan! Looks like you've already thought about a lot of things ahead of uni.

The place where I studied, Ravensbourne University London, do have a relevant foundation course - it is called Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Media Production). As far as I am aware, year on year they have students from the US enrol on one of the foundation courses. They definitely also accept IB points. I recommend that you check if you could attend one of the upcoming Open Days, to chat to tutors, current students, support staff - and to see if this uni feels like a place for you.

Also, at Ravensbourne they do BA (Hons) Animation too. I realise that you're looking to do your degree in America, but as far as I know there are quite a lot of industry opportunities in animation in London, and so it may be worth giving this thought some more consideration.

I am afraid I do not know much about visas and work opportunities for international students at the foundation level. Hopefully, someone else here will be able to answer this for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions; I'd be happy to help.

Mel

(Original post by kayanderson)
I plan on applying to American universities for animation (eg. RISD, Calarts, USC), but I wanted to do a foundation year first, because I currently live in an area where I don't have access to a good artistic community. I am thinking of doing a diagnostic course because I want to check to see if I really am interested in animation.

I feel like a foundation year can be like a gap year for me, because many courses only require three days a week of attendance, and as I have never been to London, I feel like this could be an opportunity for me to experience an entirely different culture and environment. I am an international student in Asia, but am an American citizen, having grown up in the US for more than a decade. Currently I'm in IB Year 2, taking VA, but the teacher is not very experienced/good.

Would it be a good idea to do an art foundation course and then apply to an American university, or would it somehow hurt my chances? Especially since I am international student, would the added cost be worth it? I have never had the experience of being able to put art before academics, which is why I am excited to apply to a foundation course.
kayanderson
Rep:
?
Hey Mel,

Thank you so much for your response! I haven't been able to find much about this through research, so it's reassuring to have an alumna's advice!

I'll definitely look into Ravensbourne, and see if I can get in touch with the tutors or current students.

Thanks for your advice,

Kaylie
(Original post by MediaMel)
Hi kayanderson,

What a great plan! Looks like you've already thought about a lot of things ahead of uni.

The place where I studied, Ravensbourne University London, do have a relevant foundation course - it is called Foundation Diploma in Art and Design (Media Production). As far as I am aware, year on year they have students from the US enrol on one of the foundation courses. They definitely also accept IB points. I recommend that you check if you could attend one of the upcoming Open Days, to chat to tutors, current students, support staff - and to see if this uni feels like a place for you.

Also, at Ravensbourne they do BA (Hons) Animation too. I realise that you're looking to do your degree in America, but as far as I know there are quite a lot of industry opportunities in animation in London, and so it may be worth giving this thought some more consideration.

I am afraid I do not know much about visas and work opportunities for international students at the foundation level. Hopefully, someone else here will be able to answer this for you.

Let me know if you have any further questions; I'd be happy to help.

Mel
tiredandfailing
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I went to a ravensbourne open day a few months ago and the media production course looked insane. Wasn't why I was there but have had friends who have completed it and have been very happy with the level of the teaching of the course. plus it is in a great area of London which has an amazing arts community. deffo go for it!
kayanderson
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really interested in the course, I'm just worried about the portfolio requirements - in particular, the showreel. I have only very rough animated work, so I don't know what I would turn in. Also, I'm thinking of applying to a diagnostic course because I want to look at all my options which I haven't had a chance to explore before.

Still, this course does seem pretty exciting, so I'll probably apply and hope I get in!
(Original post by tiredandfailing)
I went to a ravensbourne open day a few months ago and the media production course looked insane. Wasn't why I was there but have had friends who have completed it and have been very happy with the level of the teaching of the course. plus it is in a great area of London which has an amazing arts community. deffo go for it!
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
You clearly can't afford London.

Yet plan on paying American tuition?

Somethings off here.
kayanderson
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
No, it's just that because I'm an international student, I don't have many bursaries/scholarships available to finance a foundation year in London, whereas a lot of scholarships are available to me in the US because I am an American citizen, and they also just have many more opportunities available.

If I were to do a foundation, my parents would be able to fund me, as they are willing when I do undergrad in the US. Of course, I will aim for getting a scholarship, but hopefully in art schools such as RISD I can aim for an academic scholarship because I get decently good grades, and got a 1500+ on the SAT. This won't guarantee a huge part of my tuition, but along with financial aid, it will save a good amount. Additionally, once I apply and get acceptances/rejections, I will be able to consider which is the most financially viable.

I'm more concerned as to whether or not a foundation would be worth the additional cost that will pile on top of undergraduate education. Also I would prefer to finance myself rather than pull from my parents, which is why cost is an even larger concern.

That's my thought process as of now
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
You clearly can't afford London.

Yet plan on paying American tuition?

Somethings off here.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
A foundation is a cost effective way to test studying creative arts full time before committing to study at degree level. Especially if your IB study isn’t particularly well supported.

I suggest that you talk to the art schools in the US that you’re considering and ask for their opinion.

And look beyond the sponsored posts here from Ravensbourne. The royal drawing school and city & guilds art school in London are both excellent. And there’s a lot more choice outside London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Imperial College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 25 Jun '19
  • University of Brighton
    Photography MA open afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19
  • University of Plymouth
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Jun '19

Who do you think will be the next PM?