The Student Room Group

Can mental health nurses become clinical psychologists?

So I graduated with a 2:1 in psychology last year and have been working as a care assistant in dementia for 4 years. I want to become a clinical psychologist, I love research and mental health care so it seams like a good fit. Unfortunately I have tried to apply for assistant psycholgy places and they've basicly said they want a masters- which I can't afford.

So I'm wondering if mental health nursing could get my foot in the door. It would get me into mental health care (a plus) and it sounds like you get to work alongside clinical psychologists (a big plus). I would also be able to get financial support and start working in the area I want to work in while I gain experience.

But I'm worried, because the clinical psychology doctorates name check assistant psychology positions specifically as desirable. So, does going via mental health nursing sound possible?
Technically, you can have a career change at any time. I don't think that route would hurt your chances, it could boost the likelihood of you being taken on for a doctorate. You might find you enjoy the job as it is. It would be a decently paid career and that money could help you pay towards doing a masters, then you could apply for the doctorate. I just think it would be an extra 2/3 years of training to be a nurse, a few years of actually working and gaining the experience, then another 2 years for a masters and another like 5 years for the doctorate. If you don't mind adding additional years then go for it. I think you should keep trying to find assistant psychologist jobs, I've seen some advertised that accept psychology graduates without a masters, though if they get a lot of applicants, they choose those with a first class degree.
Original post by TS2345
So I graduated with a 2:1 in psychology last year and have been working as a care assistant in dementia for 4 years. I want to become a clinical psychologist, I love research and mental health care so it seams like a good fit. Unfortunately I have tried to apply for assistant psycholgy places and they've basicly said they want a masters- which I can't afford.

So I'm wondering if mental health nursing could get my foot in the door. It would get me into mental health care (a plus) and it sounds like you get to work alongside clinical psychologists (a big plus). I would also be able to get financial support and start working in the area I want to work in while I gain experience.

But I'm worried, because the clinical psychology doctorates name check assistant psychology positions specifically as desirable. So, does going via mental health nursing sound possible?
Reply 2
I actually know a couple of people who have, one of whom I actually encouraged to do psychiatric nursing instead of psychology. She reckons it probably shaved about 4 years off her acceptance time. She did mental health nursing for two years, then another two years to do a psychology master’s and then another year before she got accepted to the doctorate. She qualified last year or the year before I think. She was earning excellent money before being accepted to the doctorate and was gaining relevant experience in a job she really liked. And it was a job she had plenty of prospects with even without going on to the doctorate. Couldn’t recommend it more. It doesn’t rule out the doctorate in the long term either but it does give you some direction and plenty of plans B-Z to explore.
Bear in mind that the funding for nursing has been reduced/removed, so think carefully before applying as you can only get a student loan for 4 years
Reply 4
You can do a master’s conversion in nursing that is only two years.

Quick Reply

Latest