Social work or Operating Department Practitioner? Watch

CooperJen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all,

So I’m having a bit of a moment and just wanted some advice!

I’ve applied for a Social Work degree and received a firm offer and I’m due to start in September 2019.

Over the last week I’ve seen the operating department practitioner degree and DipHE advertised and it’s really peaked my interest.

Firstly, I didn’t know you could do a degree or DIPHE in something like that, and it massively interests me that I could combine my love for helping people with a medical role such as this. I must say, nursing never appealed to me purely down to the intensity of the degree, but the ODP course sounds great and their are plenty of jobs that result in similar wages to Social Work.

So what do I do? I’ve emailed the Uni some questions around it all and I’m going to an open day at the end of June. Am I just have jitters? Is this normal? Do people change course? Ahh!

Any advice if anyone doing the SW or ODP degree would be great, same as anyone with experience in the roles and the good and bad bits of them would be appreciated.

Many thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Charlotte's Web
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CooperJen)
Hi all,

So I’m having a bit of a moment and just wanted some advice!

I’ve applied for a Social Work degree and received a firm offer and I’m due to start in September 2019.

Over the last week I’ve seen the operating department practitioner degree and DipHE advertised and it’s really peaked my interest.

Firstly, I didn’t know you could do a degree or DIPHE in something like that, and it massively interests me that I could combine my love for helping people with a medical role such as this. I must say, nursing never appealed to me purely down to the intensity of the degree, but the ODP course sounds great and their are plenty of jobs that result in similar wages to Social Work.

So what do I do? I’ve emailed the Uni some questions around it all and I’m going to an open day at the end of June. Am I just have jitters? Is this normal? Do people change course? Ahh!

Any advice if anyone doing the SW or ODP degree would be great, same as anyone with experience in the roles and the good and bad bits of them would be appreciated.

Many thanks
The last week isn't really a long time in terms of considering a career. You need to work out whether this is something you are seriously wanting to consider or whether this is just a normal bit of cold feet.

I would urge you to get some more information as the ODP course is much more similar to nursing in terms of intensity than social work. Wages may be similar however you have fewer opportunities for progression within ODP without retraining into a slightly different profession. You need to ensure you have a really sound knowledge of your career opportunities, working hours etc. within these two roles as either degree is very closely linked to the respective career.
CooperJen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you for your response. I do think I’m just having last minute jitters. As a mature student, really this will be my one and only chance of going to university and so the pressure to make sure it’s the right course for me is quite intense. Thanks again
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
15.85%
The paper was reasonable (131)
49.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (59)
22.26%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
12.45%

Watched Threads