Southampton MSc AI vs Imperial MRes Biomedical Research (Data Science) Watch

R1chardZhu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi Everyone, my background is BSc AI (actually Computer Science cause we don't actually have any AI related modules) in University of Liverpool.

At the moment I've got 2 offers, MSc AI from University of Southampton and MRes Biomedical Research(Data Science). However it's been very difficult to decide which programme should I choose. Well, both have their advantages. I'm most interested in machine learning so both programme are related (oh well data science...). And I do consider a PhD after I finish my master's.

At the moment I am still waiting for MSc AI from Edinburgh and they said the final decision will be made in late June. I will defo go to Edinburgh if I got accepted but rn I need to consider the possibility that I get rejected so I have to choose from these two (also Imperial requires 10% of tuition fee paid by 25th of May). Hence why I need to make a decision soon...
alleycat393
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you want to go to Edinburgh I wouldn't even consider paying Imperial's fees before you know if you have got in to Edinburgh or not. Is the point to just do a course or to pick the one most suited to your interests? Modules aside think about the kind of research you will get exposed to as well.
(Original post by R1chardZhu)
Hi Everyone, my background is BSc AI (actually Computer Science cause we don't actually have any AI related modules) in University of Liverpool.

At the moment I've got 2 offers, MSc AI from University of Southampton and MRes Biomedical Research(Data Science). However it's been very difficult to decide which programme should I choose. Well, both have their advantages. I'm most interested in machine learning so both programme are related (oh well data science...). And I do consider a PhD after I finish my master's.

At the moment I am still waiting for MSc AI from Edinburgh and they said the final decision will be made in late June. I will defo go to Edinburgh if I got accepted but rn I need to consider the possibility that I get rejected so I have to choose from these two (also Imperial requires 10% of tuition fee paid by 25th of May). Hence why I need to make a decision soon...
Last edited by alleycat393; 6 days ago
R1chardZhu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thank you for your reply! The reasons why I am still considering Imperial are that 1). The previous research topics were basically doing medical image process or decease prediction using machine learning. 2). During the MRes study I could gain loads of related skills for PhD. 3). London as well as Data Science applied in Medical field seems more likely to guarantee a job opportunity.

However the only thing I'm concerned is that the future research topic for me is constraint with the biomedical area of study...
(Original post by alleycat393)
If you want to go to Edinburgh I wouldn't even consider paying Imperil's fees before you know if you have got in to Edinburgh or not. Is the point to just do a course or to pick the one most suited to your interests? Modules aside think about the kind of research you will get exposed to as well.
alleycat393
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Sorry I'm a bit confused about what you mean by previous research topics. Are these what you have done or what was previously on offer at Imperial? Only you can work out whether Southampton or Imperial suit your academic interests better. Just bear in mind that unfortunately nothing guarantees jobs. Look up where grads from each uni end up.
Thank you for your reply! The reasons why I am still considering Imperial are that 1). The previous research topics were basically doing medical image process or decease prediction using machine learning. 2). During the MRes study I could gain loads of related skills for PhD. 3). London as well as Data Science applied in Medical field seems more likely to guarantee a job opportunity.

However the only thing I'm concerned is that the future research topic for me is constraint with the biomedical area of study...
R1chardZhu
Rep:
?
Sorry for being confusing. By that I meant the topics that have been carried out by previous Imperial students of Bio Research.

As for the grads...last year there were only 7 students doing this course

And you're right, I really need to figure out my academic interests...
Sorry I'm a bit confused about what you mean by previous research topics. Are these what you have done or what was previously on offer at Imperial? Only you can work out whether Southampton or Imperial suit your academic interests better. Just bear in mind that unfortunately nothing guarantees jobs. Look up where grads from each uni end up.
alleycat393
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Ok but unless the course only started last year there will be data for years before that as well. Ask the uni.
Sorry for being confusing. By that I meant the topics that have been carried out by previous Imperial students of Bio Research.

As for the grads...last year there were only 7 students doing this course

And you're right, I really need to figure out my academic interests...
R1chardZhu
Rep:
?
cheers mate
Ok but unless the course only started last year there will be data for years before that as well. Ask the uni.
R1chardZhu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Does anyone know how is the MRes programmes in Imperial? I know Imperial is one of the best unis but there's just not enough information about this MRes programme...
alleycat393
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Does anyone know how is the MRes programmes in Imperial? I know Imperial is one of the best unis but there's just not enough information about this MRes programme...
What info are you looking for? You can email and ask or even visit.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
R1chardZhu
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Emailed them twice and no response yet and I'll pay a visit after I finish my finals for sure
What info are you looking for? You can email and ask or even visit.
alleycat393
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Emailed them twice and no response yet and I'll pay a visit after I finish my finals for sure
Them = who? Course director? Student office? Admissions? You can even try ringing.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (86)
16.73%
The paper was reasonable (254)
49.42%
Not feeling great about that exam... (118)
22.96%
It was TERRIBLE (56)
10.89%

Watched Threads