Does CIE AS and A level Psychology have anything related to criminology? Watch

ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I know I should see the syllabus but I'd just like to know from someone whose done it before. Also I'll be giving my AS in 2020 and A2 in 2021. Not sure if that matters but yeah. Any help is appreciated.
dinah.m
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just did my AS, and there’s nothing related to criminology in AS. In A level, the closest you’ll get is studying psychology and abnormality.
ANO-NI-MUS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by dinah.m)
Just did my AS, and there’s nothing related to criminology in AS. In A level, the closest you’ll get is studying psychology and abnormality.
cool thanks for the info....and this is for CIE right? Other than that, how did you personally find psychology? If I'm more of an essay type student, will it be suitable for me?
dinah.m
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yeah, this is CIE. There’s a lot of information to memorize, so if you’re good at that, you should be alright. Regarding essays, there’s an 8 mark question and a 10 mark question in Paper 2 and one 10 marker in Paper 1. They’re relatively short essays (you can’t choose the length as there’s limited space on your answer script- usually just one side of a page for 10 marks). I’m not sure about A level because I haven’t done those papers yet.
(Original post by ANO-NI-MUS)
cool thanks for the info....and this is for CIE right? Other than that, how did you personally find psychology? If I'm more of an essay type student, will it be suitable for me?
Fallgazer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by ANO-NI-MUS)
(Original post by dinah.m)
Yeah, this is CIE. There’s a lot of information to memorize, so if you’re good at that, you should be alright. Regarding essays, there’s an 8 mark question and a 10 mark question in Paper 2 and one 10 marker in Paper 1. They’re relatively short essays (you can’t choose the length as there’s limited space on your answer script- usually just one side of a page for 10 marks). I’m not sure about A level because I haven’t done those papers yet.
Agreed with what dinah.m has said. Although regarding A2, you'll be provided a separate booklet for writing your answers. A looot more info to remember in comparison to AS. As for essay questions are two questions (per section) with two parts each that are worth 8 and 10 marks in paper 3. In paper 4, you've got 1 question divided into two marks worth 10 and 8 marks respectively, and one more question worth 12 marks. Essays will be longer compared to AS since there's no limit to writing (as far as I know. I haven't seen the actual booklet for myself, yet.)

Thing about psychology and abnormality is that it's all about mental disorders, its origins, types, and treatments (you will learn about schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and depression, non substance addictive disorders, anxiety and phobia related disorders, and obsessive compulsive disorder). I have no knowledge about criminology so if there's anything that remotely fits what you're looking for then this is the topic for you, except you'd have to wait for an entire year since this is in A2. Plus, A2 requires that you choose two sections out of four (psych and abnormality, consumer psych, psych and health, psych and organizations. Think of it as being able to choose chapters you'd like to learn in the syllabus.) so you'll splitting your time learning those two sections rather than being able to focus on one.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (150)
51.72%
No (140)
48.28%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise