yasmina.b
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
hello everybody. I have graduated in architecture but i'd like to change my field and start a new career in Marketing. I have read some books about marketing but I'd like to ask someone who has done Marketing or is studying Marketing. what do you do in this role and what are your responsibilities? thank you
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Promoting products and/or services. Achieved through text, graphics, posters, videos, social media, guerrilla campaigns etc.

If I were to tell you about this great new app TSR are launching in a few months, which is chocked full of career guidance and that they're running a promotion so early adopters get FREE lifetime access if they download the trial version which is available now! then that's marketing.

You've been informed about the product, its purpose and learned why it might be relevant to you personally. I probably sat in on meetings to discuss who the product's target demographic is; I hopefully brainstormed where to advertise it and came up with the idea to post about it on TSR

Commonly marketing is about meeting with stakeholders to decide what the overall goal is. For example, I worked on promoting a film festival a few years ago which meant coming up with a plan to promote over 90 films in the space of three months. I handled press releases which I sent out to media. I regularly used to advertise events on social media, film forums, London-based Facebook groups, etc.

More recently I worked at a university which had almost nothing to do with digital marketing. Their M.O. was focusing on open days to promote the university to prospective students. It meant ensuring helpful and sexy leaflets were designed and printed. Coming up with the idea to give away branded promotional disposable coffee cups. Recruiting students as ambassadors, preferably the annoying ones with big beaming smiles who inevitably always play on a sports team.

That's basically my experience working in marketing. I didn't so much of the sales stuff.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 4 months ago
yasmina.b
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thank your for giving me the best examples. found them really helpful.

(Original post by DuckDodgers)
Promoting products and/or services. Achieved through text, graphics, posters, videos, social media, guerrilla campaigns etc.

If I were to tell you about this great new app TSR are launching in a few months, which is chocked full of career guidance and that they're running a promotion so early adopters get FREE lifetime access if they download the trial version which is available now! then that's marketing.

You've been informed about the product, its purpose and learned why it might be relevant to you personally. I probably sat in on meetings to discuss who the product's target demographic is; I hopefully brainstormed where to advertise it and came up with the idea to post about it on TSR

Commonly marketing is about meeting with stakeholders to decide what the overall goal is. For example, I worked on promoting a film festival a few years ago which meant coming up with a plan to promote over 90 films in the space of three months. I handled press releases which I sent out to media. I regularly used to advertise events on social media, film forums, London-based Facebook groups, etc.

More recently I worked at a university which had almost nothing to do with digital marketing. Their M.O. was focusing on open days to promote the university to prospective students. It meant ensuring helpful and sexy leaflets were designed and printed. Coming up with the idea to give away branded promotional disposable coffee cups. Recruiting students as ambassadors, preferably the annoying ones with big beaming smiles who inevitably always play on a sports team.

That's basically marketing.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by yasmina.b)
Thank your for giving me the best examples. found them really helpful.
You need to be clear that marketing is not what many people would have you believe it is. It is not just advertising and promotional campaigns and PR.

Briefly, marketing is all about the four Ps: having the right product, at the right price, being sold with the right promotional techniques to the right (market)place. So, advertising and PR is only about a quarter of the marketing mix. People in PR will seek to give it glamour it and want people to think that is what marketing is all about, but they are very limited in their view if they think that. Others are also involved in the marketing mix.
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
You need to be clear that marketing is not what many people would have you believe it is. It is not just advertising and promotional campaigns and PR.

Briefly, marketing is all about the four Ps: having the right product, at the right price, being sold with the right promotional techniques to the right (market)place. So, advertising and PR is only about a quarter of the marketing mix. People in PR will seek to give it glamour it and want people to think that is what marketing is all about, but they are very limited in their view if they think that. Others are also involved in the marketing mix.
You're right, I'm more of a copywriter than a marketer. They do overlap but I've rarely been involved on the 'sales' side.
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 4 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (175)
24.1%
Pop (180)
24.79%