The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Further Maths Core Pure 13th May

Scroll to see replies

Anyone sitting further pure tomorrow?
Are you a admission tutor who is so confidently saying this?

Original post by geokinkladze
Don't take this the wrong way young un but your are talking rubbish. The new format/old format doesn't change the timings in which you must take your A levels. If an individual university changes it's entry requirements it would be applied retrospectively, to all A levels, not just the new format. The only times this doesn't apply is where it can't apply such as with the practical element of science A levels. For example this is how one university explains it:

Spoiler

They don't want to penalise people for doing A levels ahead of time, what they would look out for is people spreading A levels over multiple sittings. The person you was originally responding to is clearly ahead of his/her peers and isn't going to be penalised for it. Also if there was time bounding for GCSEs then people who took GCSEs at an early age would be penalised for it. This is so counter intuitive that someone with basic critical thinking should understand so.
How come statistics showed up in core pure ?!
Original post by Ahc1011

well who said it couldn’t, eh
where the hell does standard deviation come into as further maths core pure?
Original post by Ahc1011

Original post by Moltenmo
where the hell does standard deviation come into as further maths core pure?

AS further maths assumes and can require any knowledge in AS-level maths and similarly for A-level. This is said in the spec and I'm not sure how it's unreasonable. In particular:

Assessments will be designed to reward students for demonstrating the ability to provide responses that draw together different areas of their knowledge, skills and understanding from across the full course of study for the AS further mathematics qualification and also from across the AS Mathematics qualification.
What answers did everyone get for the standard deviation? I got 73.6, but I'm unsure about my answer...

You are right, but I am wondering what the actual question is. in some way, I am sure the stats in that question has something to do with the core part in the syllabus.
The question asked us to use the standard summation formulae to find the standard deviation of the mass of the marbles in the display. In grams and to 1 decimal point - Given that were 85 marbles and that the mean mass of marbles was = (3n+17)/2 --> where n=number of marbles.
Original post by Moltenmo
You are right, but I am wondering what the actual question is. in some way, I am sure the stats in that question has something to do with the core part in the syllabus.
Reply 129
Original post by Beamomom
What answers did everyone get for the standard deviation? I got 73.6, but I'm unsure about my answer...

I also got 73.6 as my answer
Original post by Beamomom

Original post by Arazi
I also got 73.6 as my answer

My teacher said 73.6 was right :smile:
I'm not an admissions tutor, but then again neither are you. The reason I know you are wrong is that I have dealt with universities myself directly. By "universities" I mean admissions tutors (maths and physics) as well as other members of staff responsible for admissions.
Original post by FirstAstroRook
Are you a admission tutor who is so confidently saying this?
Anyone do the stats and mechanics paper today? If you did, what did you get for the value of e, the inequality for k, and the values for q and r (in stats).

I got reject H0 for both of the chi squared tests, and I got v=10 for the speed of the lorry.
I did FM1

I got k as 1/e
Original post by RedGiant
Anyone do the stats and mechanics paper today? If you did, what did you get for the value of e, the inequality for k, and the values for q and r (in stats).

I got reject H0 for both of the chi squared tests, and I got v=10 for the speed of the lorry.
k > 1/e for mechanics, v=10, don't do stats soz

Original post by IntenseFluff
I did FM1

I got k as 1/e

Yeah me too. Also do u remember what your speed was for the slope one.

I will be able to post worked solutions for FS1 and FP1 tomorrow when I get the paper. I can for CP too but I think enough people have got to it first.

I think somewhere around 9.3m/s
twas 9.36 so 9.4
1.41 pi radians might be the correct answer you mightve just forgotten to multiply it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending