The Student Room Group

In final year but want to quit

As title says, I'm a final year medical student but since the start of this year I have just had absolutely no motivation to do anything and I can't stop thinking about dropping out. The thought of having an entire career in medicine just leaves me feeling depressed rather than excited

I can't remember why I decided I wanted to do this in the first place

I'm worried that I 'm going to start working and something bad is going to happen to one of the patients because I'm so unmotivated and disengaged. I don't want to have to give up more of my life working nights and weekends over the next 5/10 years

I don't think I can drop out now but how crazy is taking a year between graduating and F1? I was motivated and excited about medicine at one point, I just don't know how to get that back
Original post by Anonymous
As title says, I'm a final year medical student but since the start of this year I have just had absolutely no motivation to do anything and I can't stop thinking about dropping out. The thought of having an entire career in medicine just leaves me feeling depressed rather than excited

I can't remember why I decided I wanted to do this in the first place

I'm worried that I 'm going to start working and something bad is going to happen to one of the patients because I'm so unmotivated and disengaged. I don't want to have to give up more of my life working nights and weekends over the next 5/10 years

I don't think I can drop out now but how crazy is taking a year between graduating and F1? I was motivated and excited about medicine at one point, I just don't know how to get that back

I think the way you feel is normal and probably a lot of other students feel the same way, even if they don't necessarily look like it. Non-medical students also feel this way, but the length and intensity of the medical degree means that medical students will feel it even more so.

It is possible to take a year out between finishing your degree and starting FY1, but you'd have to consider several things:

1) What will you do during that time? You will not be registered to work in any capacity other than as an FY1 i.e. locuming will not be possible. I know of some people who spent the year doing a master's degree, but you would have to consider if this is financially practical for you (not just the fees, but also the loss of one year's worth of earnings).

2) You can only be provisionally registered for 1125 days. Have you already applied for GMC registration? It's unlikely, but if something unexpected happens when you do decide to start FY1 and you need to take time off, you will already have used up 365 of your 1125 days. This is probably something which can be sorted out one way or another in the unlikely event that it happens, but I can see it involving a lot of extra hassle and bureaucracy, compared with just getting through FY1 and getting your registration.

3) The usual point for taking a year out is between FY2 and starting core or specialty training. Of course, this means having to complete two years of work (and probably the least fun years of your career), but at least during the FY3 year you can properly chill out and do occasional locums to support yourself, if that's what you're looking for. You will also be fully registered at this point. You could even do an FY4 year...there's no pressure at this point.

4) Do you think the way you feel results solely from demotivation after completing five or six years of uni, or do you think it's something clinical and non-situational? How is your sleep, mood, energy levels, interests etc? Would be worth talking to your GP and personal tutor if you feel it's something beyond revision fatigue.

5) Feeling disengaged from med school doesn't necessarily mean you'll be disengaged at work when you have actual responsibilities.

6) Not directly related to the here and now, but you don't have to resign yourself to working nights and weekends for the next 10 years. There are lots of specialties out there which have more routine working hours :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending