The Student Room Group

Sign Of Four Quotes?

just spam this with quotes lmao
HOLMES

CH 1

· His arms are ‘all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture marks’

· He finds cocaine to be ‘stimulating to the mind’

· ‘My mind rebels at stagnation (boredom)’ the reason he takes drugs

· His job is ‘the only unofficial consulting detective’ (the police unofficially ask for his advice)

· ‘I claim no credit. The work itself is my highest reward’

· He tells Watson ‘I cannot congratulate you upon it’ when Watson mentions the brochure he wrote about a case Holmes solved

· He has written ‘monographs’ on various types of tobacco ash and on the tracing of footsteps

· Watson tells him ‘You have an extraordinary genius for minutiae [small details]

· ‘Eliminate all other factors and the one which remains must be the truth’ logical

· When Watson gets offended when Holmes mentions Watson’s brother’s unfortunate life, Holmes says ‘Accept my apologies. I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you’

· ‘Hence the cocaine. I cannot live without brainwork’

CH 2

· Holmes has ‘hawk-like features’

· When Mary Morstan starts to sob while explaining how her father disappeared, Holmes’ response is ‘The date?’

· Holmes ‘did not observe’ that MM was attractive so Watson calls him ‘an automaton (robot)’ and a ‘calculating machine’

· ‘A client to me is a mere factor in a problem’

· ‘The emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning’

CH 3

· While they are travelling to Thaddeus Sholto’s house, Watson says ‘I lost my bearing and knew nothing but Sherlock Holmes was never at fault’ as Holmes can name all the streets they pass through - foil

CH 5

· McMurdo lets Holmes, Watson and Mary in as Holmes was an amateur boxer and fought McMurdo on the night of McMurdo’s benefit ‘If instead of standing there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross-hit of yours under the jaw, I'd have known you without a question’

· Holmes ‘whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks’ on the carpet

· Watson says: ‘It looks like a thorn.’ Holmes says: ‘It is a thorn’ Watson is a foil to Holmes as his relative obtuseness makes Holmes seem even more intelligent

· Watson says: ‘The case grows darker instead of clearer.’ Holmes says: ‘On the contrary, it clears every instant’ foil

CH 6

· He tells Watson ‘Just sit in the corner there so your footprints may not complicate matters’

· “My dear Watson, try a little analysis yourself,” said he with a touch of impatience’

· ‘I would rather have Toby’s help than that of the whole detective force of London’

· ‘I shall study the great Jones’s method’ (sarcasm ‘great’)

· Holmes says to Watson: ‘Your presence will be of great service to me’ bond between them Holmes values Watson’s company and moral support

CH 7

· “Mr Sherlock Holmes - I began; but the words had a most magical effect…’ the taxidermist Mr Sherman lets Watson in once he hears Holmes’s name (Watson came here to as for Toby, the dog)

· Holmes says to Watson: ‘Pshaw, my dear boy! It was simplicity itself’ arrogant

· When Watson asks Holmes about the identity of Jonathan Small’s accomplice, Holmes says: ‘You will know all about it soon enough’ Doyle withholds details through the character of Holmes which creates suspense; this detail is not revealed until later

CH 8

· ‘I never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely’

CH 9

· Holmes tells Watson ‘This infernal problem is consuming me’ when they reach a seeming dead end as they cannot locate the Jonathan Small’s boat complication, suspense, tension

· ‘A heavy step… great wheezing and rattling breath’ Holmes in disguise as the old sailor

· Jones is impressed by Holmes’ disguise - ‘You would have made an actor and a rare one’ Holmes is a master of disguise

· Holmes tells Jones ‘You are welcome to all the official credit but you must act on the line that I point out’

· ‘I think it would be a pleasure to my friend [Watson] here to take the box round to the young lady [Mary M] Holmes is considerate of Watson

· Jones tells Holmes ‘You are master of the situation’

CH 10

· During the boat chase Jones says ‘I doubt if we shall catch her’ whereas Holmes says ‘We must catch her!’

· Holmes encourages the policemen heaping coal into their boat’s furnace ‘Pile in on, pile it on!’

CH 12

· Watson says he is ‘a little hurt’ when Holmes tells Watson he ‘really cannot congratulate you’ after Watson tells Holmes he is going to marry Mary

· ‘Love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to true reason’

· ‘I should never marry myself, lest I bias my judgement’

· ‘For me, there still remains the cocaine-bottle’

WATSON

CH 1

· ‘My conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that I had lacked the courage to protest’ against Holmes’s drug use - tension

· ‘I was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him’ - tension

· ‘I was irritated by the egotism which demanded that every line of my pamphlet be devoted to his own special doings’ - tension

· ‘You have made inquiries into the history of my unhappy brother’ Watson suspects that Holmes researched Watson’s brother’s history as Holmes knows his brother was an alcoholic conflict, tension

CH 2

· ‘What a very attractive woman!’ about Mary M

· ‘What was I, an army surgeon with a weak leg and a weaker banking account, that I should dare to think of such things?’ his doubts and insecurities about approaching Mary M social class

CH 3

· While they are travelling to Thaddeus Sholto’s house, Watson says ‘I lost my bearing and knew nothing but Sherlock Holmes was never at fault’ as Holmes can name all the streets they pass through - foil

CH 4

· ‘I could have struck Thaddeus Sholto across the face’ after Thaddeus, in a very offhand, casual way, tells Mary how her father died of a heart attack

CH 5

· ‘Our hands instinctively sought for each other” Watson and Mary outside Pondicherry Lodge eerie setting

· ‘Her hand was in mine’

· Watson: ‘In God’s name, what does it all mean?’ Holmes: ‘It means murder’ foil

· Watson: ‘This mystery grows darker instead of clearer’ Holmes: ‘On the contrary, it clears every instant’ foil

CH 6

· Holmes: ‘Simple as the case seem now’ Watson: ‘Simple!’ foil

· Holmes tells Watson ‘Just sit in the corner there so your footprints may not complicate matters’

· Holmes: “My dear Watson, try a little analysis yourself,” said he with a touch of impatience’ - tension

· Holmes keeps Watson in the dark about his theory about what happened: ‘It will be clear enough to you soon’ withholding of details, suspense

· Holmes says to Watson: ‘Your presence will be of great service to me’ bond between them Holmes values Watson’s company and moral support

CH 7

· ‘Might she [Mary] not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune seeker?’

· ‘This Agra treasure intervened like an impassable barrier between us’

· Holmes tells Watson: ‘You will know all about it soon enough’ when Watson asks about the identity of Jonathan Small’s mysterious ally withholding of details, suspense

CH 9

· Watson begins to doubt Holmes when they have reached a seeming dead end as they cannot locate Jonathan Small’s boat: ‘Could there be some radical flaw in my companion’s reasoning?’ complication in the plot, suspense, tension

CH 11

· ‘The golden barrier was gone from between us’ when they discover that there is no treasure in the chest

· ‘This Agra treasure had weighed me down’

· ‘This treasure sealed my lips’

· ‘I love you, Mary’

· ‘Whoever had lost a treasure, I knew that night that I had gained one’

CH 12

· ‘Miss Morstan has done me the honour to accept me as a husband in prospective’

· Watson says he is ‘a little hurt’ when Holmes tells Watson he ‘really cannot congratulate you’ after Watson tells Holmes he is going to marry Mary

MARY MORSTAN

CH 2

· ‘Outward composure of manner’ but ‘her lip trembled, her hand quivered’

· ‘Her large blue eyes were spiritual and sympathetic’

· ‘I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature’

· ‘My mother was dead and I had no relative in England’

· ‘A choking sob cut short her sentence’ when she is explaining how her father disappeared

· Watson says ‘What a very attractive woman!’ after she leaves

CH 3

· ‘She must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness’ on the journey to the meeting with the mysterious person

· ‘Her self-control was perfect’

CH 4

· If Mary receives her share of the treasure, she would become ‘the richest heiress in England’

CH 5

· ‘Her hand was in mine’

· ‘There was in her the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection’

· ‘Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect’ on Mrs Bernstone, Bartholomew’s housekeeper

· ‘Miss Morstan remained behind with the frightened housekeeper’

CH 7

· ‘After the angelic fashion of women, she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was someone [Mrs Bernstone] weaker than herself to support’

· In the cab back to her home, Mary ‘turned faint and burst into a passion of weeping’

· ‘She was weak and helpless, shaken in mind and nerve’

CH 9

· Watson ‘suppressed from Mary and Mrs Forrester the more dreadful parts of the tragedy’

· Mary shows ‘no sign of elation’ at the idea of inheriting the money

· ‘It is for Mr Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious’

CH 11

· “The treasure is lost,” said Miss Morstan calmly’

· ‘Whoever had lost a treasure, I knew that night that I had gained one’

TONGA

CH 5

· ‘A stone head like a hammer’ + ‘poisoned thorn’ clues, drip-feeding details, mystery, suspense

CH 6

· ‘Prints of a naked foot half the size of an ordinary man’ - clue, drip-feeding details, mystery, suspense

· Watson: ‘The associate?’ Holmes: ‘You will know all about it soon enough’ Tonga’s identity is a major source of suspense

CH 8

· ‘Naturally hideous’ + ‘misshapen heads’ + ‘distorted features’ description of the Andaman Islanders in the gazetteer (a geographical index or dictionary)

· ‘These massacres are concluded by a cannibal feast’

CH 10

· Tonga ‘looked like a Newfoundland dog’

· ‘Savage, distorted creature’

· ‘Features marked with all bestiality and cruelty’

· ‘He grinned and chattered at us with half-animal fury’

· ‘The unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face’

· ‘Venomous, menacing eyes’

CH 11

· ‘That little hell-hound Tonga’

· ‘The little devil’

CH 12

· ‘As venomous as a young snake’ when Small first met him Small nursed Tonga back to health

· ‘No man had ever a more faithful mate’

· ‘We earned a living by exhibiting Tonga at fairs as the black cannibal’ while they are waiting for news about the treasure from Pondicherry Lodge

· Jonathan Small calls him ‘a little bloodthirsty imp’ after he kills Bartholomew Sholto

THADDEUS SHOLTO

CH 2

· ‘You are a wronged woman and shall have justice’ his mysterious letter to Mary increases the sense of mystery + suspense

CH 4

· ‘His features were in a perpetual jerk, now smiling, now scowling’

· ‘A bald, shining scalp which shot out from among it [his red hair] like a mountain-peak from fir-trees’ unusual, odd appearance

· He calls his home ‘an oasis of art in the howling desert of South London’

· ‘The richest and glossiest of curtains’

· ‘Two great tiger-skins’

· ‘I have grave doubts as to my mitral valve’ worried about a valve in his heart

· ‘I am a great sufferer’

· Watson says ‘I could have struck Thaddeus Sholto across the face’ after Thaddeus, in a very offhand, casual way, tells Mary how her father died of a heart attack

· ‘I am a little nervous, and I find my hookah an invaluable sedative’

· ‘The strange, jerky little fellow’

· ‘I seldom come in contact with the rough crowd’ the police

· ‘It was all that I could do to persuade him to let me send Mary Morstan a pearl at fixed intervals’ kind hearted, not greedy like his father and brother

· ‘He buttoned his coat tightly up in spite of the extreme closeness of the night’

· ‘My health is somewhat fragile’

· ‘He was clearly a hypochondriac’

CH 5

· ‘This is too bad of you, McMurdo!’ his conflict with McMurdo builds tension and suspense (will Holmes + Watson enter or have they reached a dead end?)

· ‘Half blubbering with fear… the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child’ after he finds out there is something not right about his brother Bartholomew

· ‘Thaddeus Sholto's teeth were chattering in his head’ on the way up to Bartholomew’s room

· ‘He jerked his arms and stamped his feet in a kind of convulsive frenzy’ when he worries that he will be arrested for his brother’s murder

ATHELNEY JONES

CH 6

· ‘A very stout, portly man strode heavily into the room’

· ‘It's Mr. Sherlock Holmes, the theorist’ - sarcasm

· Jones says that ‘it was more by good luck than good guidance’ that Holmes solved the Bishopgate jewel case

· ‘Stern facts here, no room for theories’

· ‘Ha! I have a theory. These flashes come upon me at times’

· Jones: ‘The brother died in a fit, on which Sholto walked off with the treasure. How's that?’ Holmes: ‘On which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside’ sarcasm

· ‘Let us apply common sense to the matter’

· ‘I am weaving my web round Thaddeus’

· “Confirms it [my theory] in every respect," said the fat detective, pompously’ how Jones responds when Holmes asks him about the poisoned thorn and stone-headed hammer fit in with Jones’ theory that Thaddeus killed his brother

· Holmes says Jones does have ‘occasional glimmerings of reason’

CH 8

· Holmes says ‘I shall probably call Athelney Jones in at the last moment. He is not a bad fellow, and I should not like to do anything which would injure him professionally’

· After reading the newspaper report of the case, Holmes says ‘The energetic Jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them’

· The newspaper report praises Jones: ‘Mr. Jones's well-known technical knowledge and his powers of minute observation’

CH 9

· When Jones calls at Holmes and Watson’s residence after he has had to let Thaddeus Sholto out of prison as he had an alibi: ‘Very different was he from the masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. His expression was downcast, and his bearing meek and even apologetic’

· ‘It's a very dark case, and my professional credit is at stake. I should be very glad of a little assistance’

· Jones tells Watson that Holmes ‘is a man not to be beat’

· When Jones finds out that Holmes has hit a dead end for a period with the case: “Ah, then he has been at fault too," exclaimed Jones, with evident satisfaction’

· Jones tells Holmes ‘You would have made an actor, and a rare one’ after Holmes tricks Jones and Watson with his disguise

· Holmes tells Jones ‘You are welcome to all the official credit but you must act on the line that I point out’

· Jones tells Holmes: ‘You are master of the situation’ as Jones is allowing Holmes to dictate how they will catch the criminals

CH 10

· “She [the Aurora] is very fast,” he said. “I doubt if we shall catch her” in comparison to Holmes’ more encouraging words "Pile it on, men, pile it on!" cried Holmes’

CH 11

· ‘It was amusing to notice how the consequential Jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture’

CH 12

· Jones calls Holmes a ‘connoisseur of crime’ compliment

· Watson says ‘Jones gets the credit’
Original post by creasedairforces
holmes

ch 1

· his arms are ‘all dotted and scarred with innumerable puncture marks’

· he finds cocaine to be ‘stimulating to the mind’

· ‘my mind rebels at stagnation (boredom)’ the reason he takes drugs

· his job is ‘the only unofficial consulting detective’ (the police unofficially ask for his advice)

· ‘i claim no credit. The work itself is my highest reward’

· he tells watson ‘i cannot congratulate you upon it’ when watson mentions the brochure he wrote about a case holmes solved

· he has written ‘monographs’ on various types of tobacco ash and on the tracing of footsteps

· watson tells him ‘you have an extraordinary genius for minutiae [small details]

· ‘eliminate all other factors and the one which remains must be the truth’ logical

· when watson gets offended when holmes mentions watson’s brother’s unfortunate life, holmes says ‘accept my apologies. I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you’

· ‘hence the cocaine. I cannot live without brainwork’

ch 2

· holmes has ‘hawk-like features’

· when mary morstan starts to sob while explaining how her father disappeared, holmes’ response is ‘the date?’

· holmes ‘did not observe’ that mm was attractive so watson calls him ‘an automaton (robot)’ and a ‘calculating machine’

· ‘a client to me is a mere factor in a problem’

· ‘the emotional qualities are antagonistic to clear reasoning’

ch 3

· while they are travelling to thaddeus sholto’s house, watson says ‘i lost my bearing and knew nothing but sherlock holmes was never at fault’ as holmes can name all the streets they pass through - foil

ch 5

· mcmurdo lets holmes, watson and mary in as holmes was an amateur boxer and fought mcmurdo on the night of mcmurdo’s benefit ‘if instead of standing there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross-hit of yours under the jaw, i'd have known you without a question’

· holmes ‘whipped his lens out of his pocket and carefully examined marks’ on the carpet

· watson says: ‘it looks like a thorn.’ holmes says: ‘it is a thorn’ watson is a foil to holmes as his relative obtuseness makes holmes seem even more intelligent

· watson says: ‘the case grows darker instead of clearer.’ holmes says: ‘on the contrary, it clears every instant’ foil

ch 6

· he tells watson ‘just sit in the corner there so your footprints may not complicate matters’

· “my dear watson, try a little analysis yourself,” said he with a touch of impatience’

· ‘i would rather have toby’s help than that of the whole detective force of london’

· ‘i shall study the great jones’s method’ (sarcasm ‘great’)

· holmes says to watson: ‘your presence will be of great service to me’ bond between them holmes values watson’s company and moral support

ch 7

· “mr sherlock holmes - i began; but the words had a most magical effect…’ the taxidermist mr sherman lets watson in once he hears holmes’s name (watson came here to as for toby, the dog)

· holmes says to watson: ‘pshaw, my dear boy! It was simplicity itself’ arrogant

· when watson asks holmes about the identity of jonathan small’s accomplice, holmes says: ‘you will know all about it soon enough’ doyle withholds details through the character of holmes which creates suspense; this detail is not revealed until later

ch 8

· ‘i never remember feeling tired by work, though idleness exhausts me completely’

ch 9

· holmes tells watson ‘this infernal problem is consuming me’ when they reach a seeming dead end as they cannot locate the jonathan small’s boat complication, suspense, tension

· ‘a heavy step… great wheezing and rattling breath’ holmes in disguise as the old sailor

· jones is impressed by holmes’ disguise - ‘you would have made an actor and a rare one’ holmes is a master of disguise

· holmes tells jones ‘you are welcome to all the official credit but you must act on the line that i point out’

· ‘i think it would be a pleasure to my friend [watson] here to take the box round to the young lady [mary m] holmes is considerate of watson

· jones tells holmes ‘you are master of the situation’

ch 10

· during the boat chase jones says ‘i doubt if we shall catch her’ whereas holmes says ‘we must catch her!’

· holmes encourages the policemen heaping coal into their boat’s furnace ‘pile in on, pile it on!’

ch 12

· watson says he is ‘a little hurt’ when holmes tells watson he ‘really cannot congratulate you’ after watson tells holmes he is going to marry mary

· ‘love is an emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to true reason’

· ‘i should never marry myself, lest i bias my judgement’

· ‘for me, there still remains the cocaine-bottle’

watson

ch 1

· ‘my conscience swelled nightly within me at the thought that i had lacked the courage to protest’ against holmes’s drug use - tension

· ‘i was annoyed at this criticism of a work which had been specially designed to please him’ - tension

· ‘i was irritated by the egotism which demanded that every line of my pamphlet be devoted to his own special doings’ - tension

· ‘you have made inquiries into the history of my unhappy brother’ watson suspects that holmes researched watson’s brother’s history as holmes knows his brother was an alcoholic conflict, tension

ch 2

· ‘what a very attractive woman!’ about mary m

· ‘what was i, an army surgeon with a weak leg and a weaker banking account, that i should dare to think of such things?’ his doubts and insecurities about approaching mary m social class

ch 3

· while they are travelling to thaddeus sholto’s house, watson says ‘i lost my bearing and knew nothing but sherlock holmes was never at fault’ as holmes can name all the streets they pass through - foil

ch 4

· ‘i could have struck thaddeus sholto across the face’ after thaddeus, in a very offhand, casual way, tells mary how her father died of a heart attack

ch 5

· ‘our hands instinctively sought for each other” watson and mary outside pondicherry lodge eerie setting

· ‘her hand was in mine’

· watson: ‘in god’s name, what does it all mean?’ holmes: ‘it means murder’ foil

· watson: ‘this mystery grows darker instead of clearer’ holmes: ‘on the contrary, it clears every instant’ foil

ch 6

· holmes: ‘simple as the case seem now’ watson: ‘simple!’ foil

· holmes tells watson ‘just sit in the corner there so your footprints may not complicate matters’

· holmes: “my dear watson, try a little analysis yourself,” said he with a touch of impatience’ - tension

· holmes keeps watson in the dark about his theory about what happened: ‘it will be clear enough to you soon’ withholding of details, suspense

· holmes says to watson: ‘your presence will be of great service to me’ bond between them holmes values watson’s company and moral support

ch 7

· ‘might she [mary] not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune seeker?’

· ‘this agra treasure intervened like an impassable barrier between us’

· holmes tells watson: ‘you will know all about it soon enough’ when watson asks about the identity of jonathan small’s mysterious ally withholding of details, suspense

ch 9

· watson begins to doubt holmes when they have reached a seeming dead end as they cannot locate jonathan small’s boat: ‘could there be some radical flaw in my companion’s reasoning?’ complication in the plot, suspense, tension

ch 11

· ‘the golden barrier was gone from between us’ when they discover that there is no treasure in the chest

· ‘this agra treasure had weighed me down’

· ‘this treasure sealed my lips’

· ‘i love you, mary’

· ‘whoever had lost a treasure, i knew that night that i had gained one’

ch 12

· ‘miss morstan has done me the honour to accept me as a husband in prospective’

· watson says he is ‘a little hurt’ when holmes tells watson he ‘really cannot congratulate you’ after watson tells holmes he is going to marry mary

mary morstan

ch 2

· ‘outward composure of manner’ but ‘her lip trembled, her hand quivered’

· ‘her large blue eyes were spiritual and sympathetic’

· ‘i have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature’

· ‘my mother was dead and i had no relative in england’

· ‘a choking sob cut short her sentence’ when she is explaining how her father disappeared

· watson says ‘what a very attractive woman!’ after she leaves

ch 3

· ‘she must have been more than woman if she did not feel some uneasiness’ on the journey to the meeting with the mysterious person

· ‘her self-control was perfect’

ch 4

· if mary receives her share of the treasure, she would become ‘the richest heiress in england’

ch 5

· ‘her hand was in mine’

· ‘there was in her the instinct to turn to me for comfort and protection’

· ‘miss morstan appeared to have a soothing effect’ on mrs bernstone, bartholomew’s housekeeper

· ‘miss morstan remained behind with the frightened housekeeper’

ch 7

· ‘after the angelic fashion of women, she had borne trouble with a calm face as long as there was someone [mrs bernstone] weaker than herself to support’

· in the cab back to her home, mary ‘turned faint and burst into a passion of weeping’

· ‘she was weak and helpless, shaken in mind and nerve’

ch 9

· watson ‘suppressed from mary and mrs forrester the more dreadful parts of the tragedy’

· mary shows ‘no sign of elation’ at the idea of inheriting the money

· ‘it is for mr thaddeus sholto that i am anxious’

ch 11

· “the treasure is lost,” said miss morstan calmly’

· ‘whoever had lost a treasure, i knew that night that i had gained one’

tonga

ch 5

· ‘a stone head like a hammer’ + ‘poisoned thorn’ clues, drip-feeding details, mystery, suspense

ch 6

· ‘prints of a naked foot half the size of an ordinary man’ - clue, drip-feeding details, mystery, suspense

· watson: ‘the associate?’ holmes: ‘you will know all about it soon enough’ tonga’s identity is a major source of suspense

ch 8

· ‘naturally hideous’ + ‘misshapen heads’ + ‘distorted features’ description of the andaman islanders in the gazetteer (a geographical index or dictionary)

· ‘these massacres are concluded by a cannibal feast’

ch 10

· tonga ‘looked like a newfoundland dog’

· ‘savage, distorted creature’

· ‘features marked with all bestiality and cruelty’

· ‘he grinned and chattered at us with half-animal fury’

· ‘the unhallowed dwarf with his hideous face’

· ‘venomous, menacing eyes’

ch 11

· ‘that little hell-hound tonga’

· ‘the little devil’

ch 12

· ‘as venomous as a young snake’ when small first met him small nursed tonga back to health

· ‘no man had ever a more faithful mate’

· ‘we earned a living by exhibiting tonga at fairs as the black cannibal’ while they are waiting for news about the treasure from pondicherry lodge

· jonathan small calls him ‘a little bloodthirsty imp’ after he kills bartholomew sholto

thaddeus sholto

ch 2

· ‘you are a wronged woman and shall have justice’ his mysterious letter to mary increases the sense of mystery + suspense

ch 4

· ‘his features were in a perpetual jerk, now smiling, now scowling’

· ‘a bald, shining scalp which shot out from among it [his red hair] like a mountain-peak from fir-trees’ unusual, odd appearance

· he calls his home ‘an oasis of art in the howling desert of south london’

· ‘the richest and glossiest of curtains’

· ‘two great tiger-skins’

· ‘i have grave doubts as to my mitral valve’ worried about a valve in his heart

· ‘i am a great sufferer’

· watson says ‘i could have struck thaddeus sholto across the face’ after thaddeus, in a very offhand, casual way, tells mary how her father died of a heart attack

· ‘i am a little nervous, and i find my hookah an invaluable sedative’

· ‘the strange, jerky little fellow’

· ‘i seldom come in contact with the rough crowd’ the police

· ‘it was all that i could do to persuade him to let me send mary morstan a pearl at fixed intervals’ kind hearted, not greedy like his father and brother

· ‘he buttoned his coat tightly up in spite of the extreme closeness of the night’

· ‘my health is somewhat fragile’

· ‘he was clearly a hypochondriac’

ch 5

· ‘this is too bad of you, mcmurdo!’ his conflict with mcmurdo builds tension and suspense (will holmes + watson enter or have they reached a dead end?)

· ‘half blubbering with fear… the helpless appealing expression of a terrified child’ after he finds out there is something not right about his brother bartholomew

· ‘thaddeus sholto's teeth were chattering in his head’ on the way up to bartholomew’s room

· ‘he jerked his arms and stamped his feet in a kind of convulsive frenzy’ when he worries that he will be arrested for his brother’s murder

athelney jones

ch 6

· ‘a very stout, portly man strode heavily into the room’

· ‘it's mr. Sherlock holmes, the theorist’ - sarcasm

· jones says that ‘it was more by good luck than good guidance’ that holmes solved the bishopgate jewel case

· ‘stern facts here, no room for theories’

· ‘ha! I have a theory. These flashes come upon me at times’

· jones: ‘the brother died in a fit, on which sholto walked off with the treasure. How's that?’ holmes: ‘on which the dead man very considerately got up and locked the door on the inside’ sarcasm

· ‘let us apply common sense to the matter’

· ‘i am weaving my web round thaddeus’

· “confirms it [my theory] in every respect," said the fat detective, pompously’ how jones responds when holmes asks him about the poisoned thorn and stone-headed hammer fit in with jones’ theory that thaddeus killed his brother

· holmes says jones does have ‘occasional glimmerings of reason’

ch 8

· holmes says ‘i shall probably call athelney jones in at the last moment. He is not a bad fellow, and i should not like to do anything which would injure him professionally’

· after reading the newspaper report of the case, holmes says ‘the energetic jones and the ubiquitous reporter have fixed it up between them’

· the newspaper report praises jones: ‘mr. Jones's well-known technical knowledge and his powers of minute observation’

ch 9

· when jones calls at holmes and watson’s residence after he has had to let thaddeus sholto out of prison as he had an alibi: ‘very different was he from the masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at upper norwood. His expression was downcast, and his bearing meek and even apologetic’

· ‘it's a very dark case, and my professional credit is at stake. I should be very glad of a little assistance’

· jones tells watson that holmes ‘is a man not to be beat’

· when jones finds out that holmes has hit a dead end for a period with the case: “ah, then he has been at fault too," exclaimed jones, with evident satisfaction’

· jones tells holmes ‘you would have made an actor, and a rare one’ after holmes tricks jones and watson with his disguise

· holmes tells jones ‘you are welcome to all the official credit but you must act on the line that i point out’

· jones tells holmes: ‘you are master of the situation’ as jones is allowing holmes to dictate how they will catch the criminals

ch 10

· “she [the aurora] is very fast,” he said. “i doubt if we shall catch her” in comparison to holmes’ more encouraging words "pile it on, men, pile it on!" cried holmes’

ch 11

· ‘it was amusing to notice how the consequential jones was already beginning to give himself airs on the strength of the capture’

ch 12

· jones calls holmes a ‘connoisseur of crime’ compliment

· watson says ‘jones gets the credit’

thankyou so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending