Ocr mei further maths b core pure 2019 unofficial mark scheme Watch

Ed_e12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Unofficial markscheme:
Sum to 100 question, use the method of differences to find the sum formula, 1.5-(1/n+1) - (1/n+2)

Equation with roots 2a-3 and 2b-3, sub in (w+3)/2 to get 3w^2+16w+29

M^-1 done on calculator, matrix = (0, 1, -1, 2, -8, 5, -1, 5, -3) as a 3x3

Significance of determinant being 0 is that it maps all points onto a single line (colinear) because the area scale factor is 0

Angle between planes = angle between normal vectors, cos (x) =a•b/|a||b| so the angle = 40.2 degrees

Given the matrix B^-1 A^-1, AB is the inverse so (1/3, -1/3, 1/3, 2/3) as a 2x2 matrix.
B = (0, -3, 1/3, 2/3)

Possible values of lambda, greater than 0 or less than -4.

There are no invariant lines of the transformation because there are no real roots to 2m^2 + 2m +1.

Points of intersection on argand diagram are: (sqrt(7)/sqrt(2)) + (4+(sqrt(7)/sqrt(2)))i along with the negative of those square roots.

Roots of quartic equation i (given), -i (conjugate pair) and substitution gives 1+i and 1-i
Last edited by Ed_e12; 1 week ago
BrandonShulver
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I didnt get your intersection for the complex number one. A lot of people in my college got the same answer. It was like +-(sqrt14)/2, +-(8+sqrt14)/2, or something (not sure about the y coordinate, but I'm sure the x is right) and the question about the determinant was the significance if >0
(Original post by Ed_e12)
Unofficial markscheme:
Sum to 100 question, use the method of differences to find the sum formula, 1.5-(1/n+1) - (1/n+2)

Equation with roots 2a-3 and 2b-3, sub in (w+3)/2 to get 3w^2+16w+29

M^-1 done on calculator, matrix = (0, 1, -1, 2, -8, 5, -1, 5, -3) as a 3x3

Significance of determinant being 0 is that it maps all points onto a single line (colinear) because the area scale factor is 0

Angle between planes = angle between normal vectors, cos (x) =a•b/|a||b| so the angle = 40.2 degrees

Given the matrix B^-1 A^-1, AB is the inverse so (1/3, -1/3, 1/3, 2/3) as a 2x2 matrix.
B = (0, -3, 1/3, 2/3)

Possible values of lambda, greater than 0 or less than -4.

There are no invariant lines of the transformation because there are no real roots to 2m^2 + 2m +1.

Points of intersection on argand diagram are: (sqrt(7)/sqrt(2)) + (4+(sqrt(7)/sqrt(2)))i along with the negative of those square roots.

Roots of quartic equation i (given), -i (conjugate pair) and substitution gives 1+i and 1-i
Last edited by BrandonShulver; 1 week ago
mudmuggleblood
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
how did you work out the intersection? I found the equation of the line and the circle but didn't know if i was going along the right track
(Original post by BrandonShulver)
I didnt get your intersection for the complex number one. A lot of people in my college got the same answer. It was like +-(sqrt14)/2, +-(8+sqrt14)/2
BrandonShulver
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You knew the angle of tan pi/4 (or 45 degrees) and the length from the origin to the centre was 4 since the half line started at -4, so you can use trig to find the height of the triangle, to then find the gradient of the half line. Then plug in (-4,0) into y=x+c and get y=x+4, then sub into circle of (x-1)^2+(y-3)^2=9 and solve for x and y
(Original post by mudmuggleblood)
how did you work out the intersection? I found the equation of the line and the circle but didn't know if i was going along the right track
Ed_e12
Rep:
?
Substitute x+4, into the equation of the circle
(Original post by mudmuggleblood)
Last edited by Ed_e12; 1 week ago
Ed_e12
Rep:
?
It's the same you've just rationalised the denominator

I didnt get your intersection for the complex number one. A lot of people in my college got the same answer. It was like +-(sqrt14)/2, +-(8+sqrt14)/2, or something (not sure about the y coordinate, but I'm sure the x is right) and the question about the determinant was the significance if >0
mudmuggleblood
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
yh i started to do this towards the end after being puzzled for so long but didn't get time to find the roots. hopefully i get method marks
You knew the angle of tan pi/4 (or 45 degrees) and the length from the origin to the centre was 4 since the half line started at -4, so you can use trig to find the height of the triangle, to then find the gradient of the half line. Then plug in (-4,0) into y=x+c and get y=x+4, then sub into circle of (x-1)^2+(y-3)^2=9 and solve for x and y
BrandonShulver
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh right lol its just what my calculator gave me as the answers to the quadratic

(Original post by Ed_e12)
It's the same you've just rationalised the denominator
Somerandomdud3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I disagree with some of your answers to question 6. For 6ai) If DET M > 0 for all values of lambda, then the quadratic you obtain you use b^2 - 4ac < 0 as this means there are no real roots (the graph is always > 0). If you do this you get -4 < k < 0. For 6aii) you need to explain the significance of DET M > 0 for the transformation, not equal to 0. FULL PAPER : Name:  DSC_0169.JPG
Views: 7
Size:  86.2 KBName:  DSC_0166.JPG
Views: 9
Size:  85.7 KB
Last edited by Somerandomdud3; 1 week ago
MrRhino
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Somerandomdud3)
I disagree with some of your answers to question 6. For 6ai) If DET M > 0 for all values of lambda, then the quadratic you obtain you use b^2 - 4ac < 0 as this means there are no real roots (the graph is always > 0). If you do this you get -4 < k < 0. For 6aii) you need to explain the significance of DET M > 0 for the transformation, not equal to 0.Name:  DSC_0166.JPG
Views: 9
Size:  85.7 KB
Can you send the rest of the paper?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Somerandomdud3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Full paper edited in now.
(Original post by MrRhino)
Can you send the rest of the paper?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (352)
30.66%
The paper was reasonable (460)
40.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (197)
17.16%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
12.11%

Watched Threads