Diploma Confusion Watch

Lebal1984
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I am looking at this program, and trying to work out to route to it:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...fact-sheet.pdf

It states: "A National Diploma in engineering at typically at Distinction * Distinction * Level (minimum 112 UCAS Points under the new system)"

The UCAS points for the '90 Credit Diploma ' are 84, and the UCAS points for just the 'Diploma' are 112. So I understand it is the latter I need to do.

However, seeing as this 'Diploma' sits between the '90 credit Diploma' and the 'Extended Diploma', how long does it take to do study wise?

I am a mature student so apologies if a daft question.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Lebal1984)
I am looking at this program, and trying to work out to route to it:
https://assets.publishing.service.go...fact-sheet.pdf

It states: "A National Diploma in engineering at typically at Distinction * Distinction * Level (minimum 112 UCAS Points under the new system)"

The UCAS points for the '90 Credit Diploma ' are 84, and the UCAS points for just the 'Diploma' are 112. So I understand it is the latter I need to do.

However, seeing as this 'Diploma' sits between the '90 credit Diploma' and the 'Extended Diploma', how long does it take to do study wise?

I am a mature student so apologies if a daft question.
It will take 2 years. You should contact them because if you do the diploma, then there is no wiggle room. You must get D*.
Do the extended diploma as that would involve more work, but be easier.

I think the easiest out of those is A level, unless you hate exams and love coursework.
Have you found a college that will let you take it?

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...016.html#tab-3
Luna_123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’m on a course at a college right now that says the same thing and it’s basically a two year course and the “extended part” is the second year because it’s made for people who want to go to university. But u don’t have to stay for the second year depending on what u want to do.
Lebal1984
Rep:
?
Thank you. Then why the ruddy hell is this 'Diploma' between the 90 credit and the extended...

I can't be alone in thinking that is both a little odd, rather confusing to those not versed in this and rather baffling to its utility.

Bristol City College has a campus dedicated to this general area, and that is easy enough for me to get to.

I can do the 1st year, and then go into the 2nd, with them and get this funded via the Adult Learner Loan all fine.

I had just been hoping that it might have been possible to do it in a year (with an awareness that these are the top grades).

I already have humanities A levels, so felt this would be a better track to go down from the employers perspective (and tbh the coursework pathway is actually more appealing).

Silver lining is that I can use the time to also beef up my GCSE results as well I suppose...(-clutching straws-).

I'll go to an open day and pick the brains of one of the actual course tutors as well (admissions department was farcical).

Any further guidance, directions, links, pearls of wisdom all very welcome...

P.S. Stay in school kids, and beware of 'liberal arts regret'.

(Original post by 999tigger)
It will take 2 years. You should contact them because if you do the diploma, then there is no wiggle room. You must get D*.
Do the extended diploma as that would involve more work, but be easier.

I think the easiest out of those is A level, unless you hate exams and love coursework.
Have you found a college that will let you take it?

https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...016.html#tab-3
Lebal1984
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply. Apologies to badger:

What was your route into the course (eg. GCSEs)?
Are there others on your course who came in via different pathways?
Are there any 'mature' students?
How are you finding the course?
What are the hours in college?
What is the general workload like?
How easy/difficult are you finding it to get the grades you want?

(Original post by Luna_123)
I’m on a course at a college right now that says the same thing and it’s basically a two year course and the “extended part” is the second year because it’s made for people who want to go to university. But u don’t have to stay for the second year depending on what u want to do.
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
Thank you. Then why the ruddy hell is this 'Diploma' between the 90 credit and the extended...

I can't be alone in thinking that is both a little odd, rather confusing to those not versed in this and rather baffling to its utility.

Bristol City College has a campus dedicated to this general area, and that is easy enough for me to get to.

I can do the 1st year, and then go into the 2nd, with them and get this funded via the Adult Learner Loan all fine.

I had just been hoping that it might have been possible to do it in a year (with an awareness that these are the top grades).

I already have humanities A levels, so felt this would be a better track to go down from the employers perspective (and tbh the coursework pathway is actually more appealing).

Silver lining is that I can use the time to also beef up my GCSE results as well I suppose...(-clutching straws-).

I'll go to an open day and pick the brains of one of the actual course tutors as well (admissions department was farcical).

Any further guidance, directions, links, pearls of wisdom all very welcome...

P.S. Stay in school kids, and beware of 'liberal arts regret'.
Because if you look at the link it is on par with 2 A levels and an extended diploma 3. You could take something else with it.
If I was doing 2 years id probably do the extended diploma as that is more common.
Luna_123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Thanks for your reply. Apologies to badger:

What was your route into the course (eg. GCSEs)?
Are there others on your course who came in via different pathways?
Are there any 'mature' students?
How are you finding the course?
What are the hours in college?
What is the general workload like?
How easy/difficult are you finding it to get the grades you want?
To get onto my course it was by gcse’s And showing I had passion and willingness to learn what the course had to offer. There is another student who is on the same course as me and is a lot older and joined after doing some freelance work and wanted to learn more about what the career path could offer from the course, so it is normal to have more mature students. I even saw a lady who was at least in her 40’s lining up to enter an exam resit alongside a tonne of teenagers. The course hours I would say are very independent, I only have to go in 3 times a week sometimes only from 9am to midday and others till 9am to 4pm so a lot of the work you complete is done in your own hours which personally I find a lot easier.
We normally get three separate briefs all at once from different tutors but the deadline they give is always more than enough time and so far I have achieved nothing but distinctions which I rarely achieved in secondary school.
So all round hearing from what other people have said about taking A levels instead in 6form I think it is a lot more chilled and enjoyable but it is in no word “easier” because you do have to put just as much work in if you want high grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (50)
5.7%
Fairly positive (282)
32.16%
Just another year... (339)
38.65%
Is it 2020 yet? (206)
23.49%

Watched Threads

Latest