The Student Room Group

Wednesday 15th AS Mei Maths and Mech discussion

Scroll to see replies

Pretty sure the question asked for just x intersection (angles) which was 36.9, 216.9 or something I got. I found it generally quite good, just some silly mistakes here and there. Some at my college said it was really good, some didn’t like it, but I think boundaries will increase slightly to maybe 48/70 or something as I felt it was easier than the 2018 paper.
Original post by jsjsjsjs333
Ugh, forgot to find the y coordinates, fml
It said in the form a+bsqrt2 but I got a was (k+12)/7 and b was (-2k-3)/7 but I think that’s wrong, I just don’t know how to get rid of the 7.

What did everyone get for rationalising with k?
Yeh same, but I didn’t even write those answers down because I though I was wrong cus the whole thing was over 7 - who knows phaha
yeh probs was just asking for x, thats the actual tricky bit and I'm bad at reading questions paha
Original post by BrandonShulver
Pretty sure the question asked for just x intersection (angles) which was 36.9, 216.9 or something I got. I found it generally quite good, just some silly mistakes here and there. Some at my college said it was really good, some didn’t like it, but I think boundaries will increase slightly to maybe 48/70 or something as I felt it was easier than the 2018 paper.
I think you were meant to leave the seven, and put it as that... I did a past paper similar when it was the same idea, but think it was confusing since I usually see those types of questions as easy marks and was expecting it to be, and then was like 'hmmm this isn't like usual!'

What did you get for the exact area of triangle? 6root14 by any chance?
It said in the form a+bsqrt2 but I got a was (k+12)/7 and b was (-2k-3)/7 but I think that’s wrong, I just don’t know how to get rid of the 7.
It was 4 marks right? You’d probably get 3 maybe 2 by leaving the 7, that’s what I thought. I got like 16200N or 16280N or something close to that for the driving force question (don’t know exactly) but it was 16000 something.
Original post by sdhasdjg
Yeh same, but I didn’t even write those answers down because I though I was wrong cus the whole thing was over 7 - who knows phaha
You won’t get penalised for it I don’t think so don’t worry lol
yeh probs was just asking for x, thats the actual tricky bit and I'm bad at reading questions paha
Yeh, I got 22.4 which is the same
I think you were meant to leave the seven, and put it as that... I did a past paper similar when it was the same idea, but think it was confusing since I usually see those types of questions as easy marks and was expecting it to be, and then was like 'hmmm this isn't like usual!'

Well I put it into a decimal by accident as I didn’t read the question but yeah I got that,

oh, did the question ask for it in 6root14 form
Well I put it into a decimal by accident as I didn’t read the question but yeah I got that,
I think in the paper a couple of words should have been in bold/made stand out more, e.g in the triangle when it said exact form, or for the stationary point I couldn't tell if it wanted proof that it was the only stationary point or not (e.g it said show that the only stationary point on the curve it (1,3) or something of the sort. Just in general, it was a bit vague...
It asked for exact area so wanted the surd answer
Yeh, I got 22.4 which is the same

oh, did the question ask for it in 6root14 form
Oh yeh, that was the 7 marker, idek what you could get seven marks for in that question, I just proved the stationary point... didn't know what else I could do, very vague
I think in the paper a couple of words should have been in bold/made stand out more, e.g in the triangle when it said exact form, or for the stationary point I couldn't tell if it wanted proof that it was the only stationary point or not (e.g it said show that the only stationary point on the curve it (1,3) or something of the sort. Just in general, it was a bit vague...
Yeah so did I, but the word only got me wondering if I should be doing some discriminant or something to show there was only one point. In the end I just drew the gradient graph with a line saying 'one solution!', so hopefully the examiner takes pity on my attempt if that was needed haha
Oh yeh, that was the 7 marker, idek what you could get seven marks for in that question, I just proved the stationary point... didn't know what else I could do, very vague
damn
It asked for exact area so wanted the surd answer
Reply 35

I think you had to do dy/dx get a quadratic and factorise it, which gave me only one solution when I tried it
You got a quadratic? I don't think I did, which was my issue. I also solved it like a normal equation, ending up with x^3/2=1, and then just said there was only one solution for that?

On reflection, factorising sounds like a much more correct answer!
Original post by frashid
I think you had to do dy/dx get a quadratic and factorise it, which gave me only one solution when I tried it
Yeah I found dy/dx, set =0 to find stationary which was x=1 by solving x^3/2=1, then plugged it in to get y=-3. Then I found d^2y/dx^2 and plugged in x=1 to show a minimum, and then did +- 0.1 and plugged into dy/dx to show gradients at each point to the left and right to show minimum. Then drew the graph😂 don’t really know how it was 7 marks really, was confused on what to include to get the full marks so just tried everything really
Original post by frashid
(edited 4 years ago)
Least I don't feel like the only one feeling so conscious of the fact it was 7 marks that I felt the need to draw the graph haha :smile:
Yeah I found dy/dx, set =0 to find stationary which was x=1, then plugged it in to get y=-3. Then I found d^2y/dx^2 and plugged in x=1 to show a minimum, and then did +- 0.1 and plugged into dy/dx to show gradients at each point to the left and right to show minimum. Then drew the graph😂 don’t really know how it was 7 marks really, was confused on what to include to get the full marks so just tried everything really
We all have to agree though, questions on the back page with the ice cube were nice....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending