The Student Room Group

New car advice

What is your budget? (Insurance and Tax excluded)
I expect my next car to be on finance, so unrestricted at the moment.

Are you a new driver?
No, been driving 2 years, with no claims

How old are you?

What is going to be the main use of the car?
Commuting to work and going out with family (roughly 20,000-23,000 miles per year)

How many passengers will you usually be carrying?

How big a boot do you need?
Medium Sized

Specific tasks you will be doing?
Commuting on motorway and general driving

What features in the car are important to you?
High MPG and good for running family around

What gearbox do you want?
Manual or Automatic

Are aesthetics of the car important?
Yes, considering I commute such a long distance to work regularly and would like a car I feel comfortable in for long times/distances.

What is the minimum fuel consumption you require?
Ideally 47+

I currently drive a ford Fiesta 2015 1.2L Zetec, with gives an average of 44 MPG. But it's a bit too small for me and doesn't feel enjoyable to drive for long distances or for a long time. Thanks :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Some cheap medium sized lease cars that wouldn't hurt too much for 20k mileage p/a is

Skoda Octavia - VRS versions can be somewhat reasonable if you wanna splash out, standard SE Technology spec is cheap, decent ride and has good cruise control features, fantastic boot size and looks alright imo
Seat Leon - Good for the price and good to drive, Adaptive Cruise Control is an option for long journeys, cruise control available on technology specs

If your budget is higher then you can look at your standard

VW Golf, Ford Focus etc but it's a bit generic
Reply 2
Original post by xDron3
Some cheap medium sized lease cars that wouldn't hurt too much for 20k mileage p/a is

Skoda Octavia - VRS versions can be somewhat reasonable if you wanna splash out, standard SE Technology spec is cheap, decent ride and has good cruise control features, fantastic boot size and looks alright imo
Seat Leon - Good for the price and good to drive, Adaptive Cruise Control is an option for long journeys, cruise control available on technology specs

If your budget is higher then you can look at your standard

VW Golf, Ford Focus etc but it's a bit generic

Thanks for the advice, doing the mileage I'm doing, I would of thought leasing would be better. would obviously want something of a different size, with running family around as well. Thanks for the advice :smile:
M5 and pick me up
Why not get an older diesel and buy it for cash? That way you won't have stupid monthly payments hanging round your neck for ever more?

A pre 2006 163 BHP Volvo S60 D5 manual would tick all your boxes. Just try to make sure you get one in decent nick - one that's been properly serviced. But then that applies to every used car you will buy.

A BMW 320d would give you a more enthusiastic drive, but would be less comfortable and the 4 cylinder BMW diesel engines - on average - don't last as well as the Volvo D5's. The 6 cylinder BMW diesels are generally good, but won't give you the real world 47 mpg. They will give you very nice performance.

An Audi A4 diesel would be another solid choice.

The level of engineering and quality of the interiors in medium sized Volvo, BMW's, Audis and Mercs is a cut above what you'll find in most Ford Focuses, Skodas, VW Golfs. For your 20k mileage you'll be spending a lot of time in your car. It's nice to do it in something with a good level of comfort and reasonably enjoyable to drive.
Reply 5
Original post by nha.
M5 and pick me up

I would personally pick to M3 over the M5. Would be happy to pick you.
Reply 6
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Why not get an older diesel and buy it for cash? That way you won't have stupid monthly payments hanging round your neck for ever more?

A pre 2006 163 BHP Volvo S60 D5 manual would tick all your boxes. Just try to make sure you get one in decent nick - one that's been properly serviced. But then that applies to every used car you will buy.

A BMW 320d would give you a more enthusiastic drive, but would be less comfortable and the 4 cylinder BMW diesel engines - on average - don't last as well as the Volvo D5's. The 6 cylinder BMW diesels are generally good, but won't give you the real world 47 mpg. They will give you very nice performance.

An Audi A4 diesel would be another solid choice.

The level of engineering and quality of the interiors in medium sized Volvo, BMW's, Audis and Mercs is a cut above what you'll find in most Ford Focuses, Skodas, VW Golfs. For your 20k mileage you'll be spending a lot of time in your car. It's nice to do it in something with a good level of comfort and reasonably enjoyable to drive.

I would prefer getting a new car every 3 years or so, just keep swapping. And I you said, I would be spending a lot of time in the car, so would ideally like all the tech and gadgets, e.g. a satnav would come in useful, cruise and lane control would all make the journey more comfortable and relaxing. I’ll happily spend up to £350 a month on the right car on finance. Currently paying £200 a month now for my Ford Fiesta, would want a bigger engine, as my 3 cylinder 1.2 is quite revy and lacks performance in picking up speed :smile:
Original post by Joshkav
I would personally pick to M3 over the M5. Would be happy to pick you.

That’s sweet. M3 is decent but I prefer the specs of M5 tbh

Quick Reply

Latest