The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Biology A B1-B3 and B7 Higher J247/03 - 14 May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

Couldn't find an OCR, so just made this.

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any predictions for what may come up in paper 1 biology for the OCR exam board tomorrow?!
I’m not telling u
Original post by kittenxoxoxo
Does anyone have any predictions for what may come up in paper 1 biology for the OCR exam board tomorrow?!
Reply 3
I am not going to lie but that exam was not too bad. Contemplating what equipment is used to measure to a 1/100th of a gram?
majority of things that I revised didn't necessarily come up in the exam which wasn't that great!
Original post by Da14a
I am not going to lie but that exam was not too bad. Contemplating what equipment is used to measure to a 1/100th of a gram?

I said electronic mass balance but idk
I found the exam okay, it was probably around the same difficulty level as last years paper :smile:
The questions about fructose/glucose/sucrose confused me though :lol:
Reply 7
Yeah I put that too also what was that 6 mark question I had no clue if I'm being honest
Original post by Laurence863
I said electronic mass balance but idk
what did everyone put for the Q with the beakers and iodine in them
Reply 9
I think it was something to do with osmosis but didn't quite get the starch part
Original post by Bubble_ks
what did everyone put for the Q with the beakers and iodine in them
that the iodine permeated the membrane as it turned from white to blue/black which evidenced that iodine mixed with the starch idk
Reply 11
Honestly i really struggled with that paper it was basically a compilation of the topics I was bad at
The questions were so weird it was so random
Reply 13
Completely agree did you get the 6 marker?
Original post by isabella25
The questions were so weird it was so random
When calculating the actual diameter I forgot to convert units from 2cm to 20mm. Triggered
What did you guys put for the which other animal has the most similar circulatory system to humans?
For the 6 marker I said that the water might move into the red blood cells, which means less room for haemoglobin, which means less oxyhaemoglobin and therefore less respiration and your cells would less efficient.
I also, said that if the sodium level was really low, then cells could burst (lysis). But I'm pretty sure all that's wrong😂
Something along these lines - lower sodium ion levels meant that there would be a much higher amount of water in the blood and body cells potentially causing cell lysis (when the cells have too much water they burst). ADH releases the water in the collecting duct back into the blood which increases the amount of water in the blood and body cells further, so by having a drug that blocks ADH means that water in the body passes through as urine and the sodium ion:water levels return back to normal
I wrote bird because it was double circulatory and have 4 loops which resemble the ventricle and atrium
Original post by Situlechu
What did you guys put for the which other animal has the most similar circulatory system to humans?
Same, also the direction of blood flow was multidirectional for the amphibian but was the one direction for the bird as well as humans
Original post by internet monster
I wrote bird because it was double circulatory and have 4 loops which resemble the ventricle and atrium

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending