TheObserver2607
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
To all those who are doing Further Maths at A Level.

I am about to start Further Mathematics (my exam board is Edexcel) and it seems quite menacing. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me about some stuff that I should look out for or study in advance? I understand that the entire course is extremely challenging, but I'm interested in particular hotspots that require more than the average "read the topic and do loads of questions".

Thanks
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
year 1 AS book is ridiculously easy in comparison to year 2. if you struggle majorly with book 1, you will not find further maths very fun. vectors and proof by induction are probably the only topics in book 1 that are reasonably difficult.

in book 2, you will be doing hard integration in 99% of the questions. if you can master integration, youre fine. if you cant, your ****ed. the hardest part of further maths imo is just how complicated the integration gets. integration in year 1 is easy, year 2 is very hard.

as for the options, decision imo is ridiculously easy. easier than stats and mechanics in normal a level maths so i highly recommend it. stats, mechanics and further pure dificculties depend on your preferences. only time i wouldnt recommend decision is if you get confused easily with lots of numbers and stuff everywhere.
reducible differential equations is probably the hardest topic ive encountered in further maths, which is in FP1.
TheObserver2607
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
year 1 AS book is ridiculously easy in comparison to year 2. if you struggle majorly with book 1, you will not find further maths very fun. vectors and proof by induction are probably the only topics in book 1 that are reasonably difficult.

in book 2, you will be doing hard integration in 99% of the questions. if you can master integration, youre fine. if you cant, your ****ed. the hardest part of further maths imo is just how complicated the integration gets. integration in year 1 is easy, year 2 is very hard.

as for the options, decision imo is ridiculously easy. easier than stats and mechanics in normal a level maths so i highly recommend it. stats, mechanics and further pure dificculties depend on your preferences. only time i wouldnt recommend decision is if you get confused easily with lots of numbers and stuff everywhere.
reducible differential equations is probably the hardest topic ive encountered in further maths, which is in FP1.
Oh god integration in normal maths was bad enough. Now you talk of even harder integration in Y2 Further?! Definitely will have to look into that, thanks. As for my options, my school has decided that we will be doing Further Statistics and Further Mechanics (which sucks because I wanted to do Further Pure and Decision) so are there any particularly challenging topics in those two options?
Gent2324
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by TheObserver2607)
Oh god integration in normal maths was bad enough. Now you talk of even harder integration in Y2 Further?! Definitely will have to look into that, thanks. As for my options, my school has decided that we will be doing Further Statistics and Further Mechanics (which sucks because I wanted to do Further Pure and Decision) so are there any particularly challenging topics in those two options?
well it depends what you mean. the techniques you use for integration are the same, parts, substitution etc. but theres extra stuff, you learn how to integrate inverse trig, hyperbolic trig, integration with partial fractions, integration with infinite limits. every question is just a cluster**** of all those techniques and it can be really hard to work with.

as for stats and mechanics, completely depends on how you find stats and mechanics in normal maths. me and my friend hated them which is why we chose to do decision and further pure (only 2 of us in the class so we got a choice). but i havent seen the stats and mechanics books for further maths so im not to sure, Notnek might know possibly?

tbh if u really hate stats and mechanics, you could probably just teach yourself decision. i make alot of threads asking for help with maths and ive only ever needed to make like 1 with decision because of how easy it is. the only problem though is that its not a very popular type of maths so it can take a while to find help. if you want a feel for what its like, search up kruskals algorithm, the hard stuff are things like the simplex algorithm.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I agree with what's been said - have single maths integration nailed.
Personally I found further stats (doing FS1 and FM1) to be surprisingly okay and in any case more interesting than what you come across in A-level.
FM1 starts out incredibly easy (if you do physics A-level, that is!) and ends up incredibly difficult. 2D elastic collision questions tend to be very long and there's a lot of scope for variety within the topics.
TheObserver2607
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
This was very helpful, thank you very much. Sorry that I didn't reply in almost 2 days, I really appreciate the help. Now I can look forward to what's to come with less fears than I had before!
username3731912
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The thing is with further maths is that it’s a short course, so don’t get stressed over the difficulty cause you probably won’t revise more for it than other subjects given the lower volume of actual work.

Year 1 is easy. It’s just practice tbh, I only really liked mechanics and further pure. Pure, series and roots were all pretty easy, I’d say vectors were difficult because there are so many different methods and different kinds of questions you can get. I quit further math shortly after year 2 because I wanted to do law so picked up an essay based subject in year 13, but IMO year 2 further maths was pretty boring...the class in my school agrees so idk if it’s edexcel or our teachers..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (144)
19%
Labour (323)
42.61%
Liberal Democrats (154)
20.32%
Green Party (41)
5.41%
Brexit Party (21)
2.77%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)