?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
why
theworld223
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Because we are snowflakes, which is 100% our choice.
black tea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by steamed-hams)
why
Life is too comfortable and they have too much free time on their hands
sinfonietta
  • Life & Style Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Too much time spent on the internet and social media.
Rid The Kid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
g c s e
angel.xo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
alevels!
miss_ambitious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
why
Well, first and foremost let's talk about the education system. They want young students to memorise formulas, quotes, facts and much more all by heart which is overwhelming for many people. We also have pressure from family to do well in school, because they believe that education is the only way to be successful, however, there are other ways besides education to be victorious. In addition, we also have social media. Celebs and "influencers" flaunting their new fake bodies (some even passing it as their own, natural bodies!) to show their so-called "beauty". Everybody is feeling insecure these days because of things such as this, which is preposterous. Furthermore, we have other aspects that play into a young person mental health and that is society overall. They think we are super shallow and only care about our technology devices when it's actually not that deep at all for the majority of people.
Ben878 (LfL)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I believe young people are quite good hearted, and when they are struck, acknowledging there is a lot of pain in the world, we scramble for money, extreme pressures/expectations, they are lonely, the feeling that they never will be loved/unreciprocated love, etc. it hits home right at the centre - and they often are not helped properly

Young people have had bad mental health in the past, it was not really documented though because they didn't talk about it and didn't know how to handle it.
Last edited by Ben878 (LfL); 6 days ago
steamed-hams
Rep:
?
' Our society today, through the wonders of consumer culture and hey-look-my-life-iscooler-than-yours social media, has bred a whole generation of people who believe that having these negative experiences—anxiety, fear, guilt, etc.—is totally not okay.'

'The world is constantly telling you that the path to a better life is more, more, more—buy more, own more, make more, **** more, be more. You are constantly bombarded with messages to give a **** about everything, all the time. the problem is that giving too many ****s is bad for your mental health. It causes you to become overly attached to the superficial and fake, to dedicate your life to chasing a mirage of happiness and satisfaction. The key to a good life is not giving a **** about more; it’s giving a **** about less, giving a **** about only what is true and immediate and important.'
aimeetanisha
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
GCSES.. School.. pressure.. that’s why
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Izzythestudent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Listening to lil peep has destroyed my sisters mental health. I blame social media 100% (in her case at least).
spaceyat
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It's probably largely down to social media and the gimmicky filters and false images that create expectations of 'happiness' and 'perfection' that come with it.
Couldn't tell you for definite but the amount of cuts to social services & the minimal amount of resources available for maintaining student & young people's welfare certainly doesn't help. Especially since people are now encouraged, & it's more accepted, to talk to others about feelings.
Last edited by spaceyat; 6 days ago
steamed-hams
Rep:
?
Rid The Kid
angel.xo

what is it about a-levels/gcses causing bad mh?
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Social media and not being able to accept failure anymore.
clouddbubbles
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
exams ruined me so i'm gonna say education is what's at fault. and social media.
Anonymous #1
Report 5 days ago
Guess as well there’s unfortunately so much stigma surrounding mental health young people may feel reluctant to speak up about it in case people may see them differently, etc....
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Because people are becoming mentally weaker.
-Eirlys-
  • Debate & Current Affairs Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
why
There's a huge number of factors.
I think the introduction of the internet and peer pressure surrounding social media is a new phenomenon that didn't exist before. That makes people feel bad about the direction their life is going or view their own flaws after comparing themselves to others.
There's been an increase in Mental Health awareness. MH issues didn't appear in the 21st century, they've always been around but we're talking about it more. It seems like there's suddenly more around but really, the issue is coming to the surface and people are talking more, partly because they now have a platform to do so.
The pressures of the economy as a whole. It's expensive to move out, so many people don't get to move out until much later or it is difficult to even get employed which can really knock your confidence. We're being overworked all the time with not much work/life balance or a decent wage, but it's being treated like it's the norm.
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Mobile phone ownership and use. Nothing good will ever come from constantly bombarding yourself with radiation.
steamed-hams
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by -Eirlys-)
There's a huge number of factors.
I think the introduction of the internet and peer pressure surrounding social media is a new phenomenon that didn't exist before. That makes people feel bad about the direction their life is going or view their own flaws after comparing themselves to others.
There's been an increase in Mental Health awareness. MH issues didn't appear in the 21st century, they've always been around but we're talking about it more. It seems like there's suddenly more around but really, the issue is coming to the surface and people are talking more, partly because they now have a platform to do so.
The pressures of the economy as a whole. It's expensive to move out, so many people don't get to move out until much later or it is difficult to even get employed which can really knock your confidence. We're being overworked all the time with not much work/life balance or a decent wage, but it's being treated like it's the norm.
Its interesting when people say social media - if its so bad for health then why do people still use it?
or at least beyond things like keeping in touch with folk i.e. messenger.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (54)
5.7%
Fairly positive (296)
31.22%
Just another year... (373)
39.35%
Is it 2020 yet? (225)
23.73%

Watched Threads