contraceptive pill- take longer break dangerous? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hi, I was put on Yasmin a couple of years ago because of my bad skin. I decided to come off last year since now I'm 19 I thought my skin would have probably started to clear up naturally but now my acne is back. I found a pack of my old tablets and started taking them (not for contraception at all- only for my acne). I am now currently on the 7 day break and am supposed to book in with the nurse (who weighs me, takes my blood pressure) to get another pack. However I am embarrassed about going back as I wasn't slim before but now I am a few kilos heavier and I really don't want her to refuse the tablets or give me advice about losing weight. Is it ok if instead of having the intended 1 week off my tablets, I leave it a few more weeks so at least I can go back to the nurse knowing my weight is the same as it was last year?

(I am purely asking for health reasons, as in is it dangerous for me to take 1 month worth of yasmin, and now have a whole month off taking it, before going back to the dr and getting a repeat prescription? i just really want to lose a few kilos so she isn't like "wow you have gained a lot of weight??")
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
As someone whose weight has fluctuated hugely (by 3+ stone) in the 7 years they've been on the combined pill, I can promise you they likely wont bring it up- unless it is a huge amount, or puts you over a BMI of 30. The only reason they could potentially bring it up is that if you are over a certain weight (usually classed as obese) certain contraceptive pills can come with increased risks, which they have to make you aware of. They may also talk to you about weight gain if they think it may be a side effect of the contraception you're currently on.

I can't tell you if taking the 1 month and having a month off would be 'dangerous' or not as I'm not a medical professional, but from an entirely personal point of view I'm not sure I'd want to be messing my body around so much with the on again/off again hormones etc. The pill is designed for you to take in a certain way and it's probably best to stick to that, and at the end of the day the nurses will have seen all sorts of weight gain/other things and it's nothing to be embarrassed about.
Anonymous #1
my weight isn't currently classed as 'obese' but i am 'overweight'. Ok, i better just go and see the nurse ASAP and see what she says, thank you.
(Original post by Anonymous)
As someone whose weight has fluctuated hugely (by 3+ stone) in the 7 years they've been on the combined pill, I can promise you they likely wont bring it up- unless it is a huge amount, or puts you over a BMI of 30. The only reason they could potentially bring it up is that if you are over a certain weight (usually classed as obese) certain contraceptive pills can come with increased risks, which they have to make you aware of. They may also talk to you about weight gain if they think it may be a side effect of the contraception you're currently on.

I can't tell you if taking the 1 month and having a month off would be 'dangerous' or not as I'm not a medical professional, but from an entirely personal point of view I'm not sure I'd want to be messing my body around so much with the on again/off again hormones etc. The pill is designed for you to take in a certain way and it's probably best to stick to that, and at the end of the day the nurses will have seen all sorts of weight gain/other things and it's nothing to be embarrassed about.
DanK37
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi, I was put on Yasmin a couple of years ago because of my bad skin. I decided to come off last year since now I'm 19 I thought my skin would have probably started to clear up naturally but now my acne is back. I found a pack of my old tablets and started taking them (not for contraception at all- only for my acne). I am now currently on the 7 day break and am supposed to book in with the nurse (who weighs me, takes my blood pressure) to get another pack. However I am embarrassed about going back as I wasn't slim before but now I am a few kilos heavier and I really don't want her to refuse the tablets or give me advice about losing weight. Is it ok if instead of having the intended 1 week off my tablets, I leave it a few more weeks so at least I can go back to the nurse knowing my weight is the same as it was last year?

(I am purely asking for health reasons, as in is it dangerous for me to take 1 month worth of yasmin, and now have a whole month off taking it, before going back to the dr and getting a repeat prescription? i just really want to lose a few kilos so she isn't like "wow you have gained a lot of weight??")
I'm aware that sometimes people are selfconcious about there weight but you need to take it from a professional perspective. The best thing to do is keep to the plans of the medication and embrace your body regardless of the number on the scale and be proud to be you.
efdu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by DanK37)
I'm aware that sometimes people are selfconcious about there weight but you need to take it from a professional perspective. The best thing to do is keep to the plans of the medication and embrace your body regardless of the number on the scale and be proud to be you.
You don't necessarily have to be proud of being overweight, but you need to accept it and understand that a nurse/doctor will not judge you for it. They'll help if they think you need it, and even then, if you don't like your body (and it's not because of anorexia, bulimia, etc) you can work on changing it, but acceptance of yourself first is key.
DanK37
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by efdu)
You don't necessarily have to be proud of being overweight, but you need to accept it and understand that a nurse/doctor will not judge you for it. They'll help if they think you need it, and even then, if you don't like your body (and it's not because of anorexia, bulimia, etc) you can work on changing it, but acceptance of yourself first is key.
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. They're there to help and not to judge you so if you feel a bit overweight then don't stress. It's better to get checked out if you need it.
elspethc07
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Honestly don't worry about your weight. I'm not slim and I'm medically classed as overweight and the doctor was happy to put me on the pill. It is better if you do go to the nurse so you can get another pack as you skin will clear up faster if you take it properly (by taking it for a month then having only a 1 week break)

Anonymous #1
thank you. one thing is though is the nurse I used to see a few times last year was really young, not very professional and might have just been a HCA or something, not a nurse- idek. Just a bit awkward but oh well, i'll go back and just try to starve myself a couple of days before to get me down a couple of kilos. Obviously then I'll work on a long-term weight loss plan to shred a couple of stone.
(Original post by DanK37)
Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. They're there to help and not to judge you so if you feel a bit overweight then don't stress. It's better to get checked out if you need it.
DanK37
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Starving yourself isn't a good idea because that can cause lots of medical issues. If you're trying to lose weight, make sure you stick to the 3 set meals a day and if you can, wherever you travel walk instead of drive or walk instead of get a bus because as much as it seems as a pointless thing, walking probably does more for you than most exercises.
thank you. one thing is though is the nurse I used to see a few times last year was really young, not very professional and might have just been a HCA or something, not a nurse- idek. Just a bit awkward but oh well, i'll go back and just try to starve myself a couple of days before to get me down a couple of kilos. Obviously then I'll work on a long-term weight loss plan to shred a couple of stone.
efdu
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
If you want to lose weight, don't starve yourself. Instead look into intermittent fasting, and decrease your carbohydrate and sugar intake. That means don't eat bread, pasta, etc. Intermittent fasting means you eat the same amount of food as you would usually but in a short period of the day. It helps keep your insulin levels stable for longer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (41)
5.69%
Fairly positive (239)
33.15%
Just another year... (286)
39.67%
Is it 2020 yet? (155)
21.5%

Watched Threads