Reservations about Oxford Watch

/JR/
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,
I do really want to apply to Oxford to do Classical Archaeology and Ancient History, but my primary concern is that my application wouldn't be good enough and that i'd get struck off before an interview.
Getting to the interview stage would be vitally important as I am extremely passionate about the subject i wish to study and am comfortable under pressure talking about it.
My fear is that since there is no test pre interview, I may get struck off and not invited, ruining my hopes of getting in.
In terms of my GCSE academic record, its relatively weak:
5'9s (eng lang lit, his, re, geo)
3 7's (latin, spanish,bio)
2 6's (chem, phys)
1 5 (maths)

I am just severely worried that my maths+ sciences, even though not particularly related, will have an impact on my overall application.

I am currently working at A*A*AA (His,Pol,Eng,Phil), So I will most likely be predicted around that range, But i don't believe that it can offset those bad sciences + maths grade- is there a possibility it can?

Additionally i've also been reading quite vivaciously around the subject (primary+ secondary sources)- if i manage to link these with my super curriculars (summer schools, speaking competitions,presentations etc)
Can I feasibly make a competitive application?
Thanks.

Ps: I'm set on Oxford by the way- the course fits me perfectly over any course in Cambridge.
gracewb_93
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just apply. Super curriculars are more important than gsces, which they don’t really look at much. You can’t get in if you don’t apply so you might as well try.
And to be honest nobody can predict how likely it is they’ll get in/how good their application is. Some people have amazing applications and are rejected, and some people who never thought they would get in are accepted.
Last edited by gracewb_93; 1 week ago
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by /JR/)
Hello,
I do really want to apply to Oxford to do Classical Archaeology and Ancient History, but my primary concern is that my application wouldn't be good enough and that i'd get struck off before an interview.
Getting to the interview stage would be vitally important as I am extremely passionate about the subject i wish to study and am comfortable under pressure talking about it.
My fear is that since there is no test pre interview, I may get struck off and not invited, ruining my hopes of getting in.
In terms of my GCSE academic record, its relatively weak:
5'9s (eng lang lit, his, re, geo)
3 7's (latin, spanish,bio)
2 6's (chem, phys)
1 5 (maths)

I am just severely worried that my maths+ sciences, even though not particularly related, will have an impact on my overall application.

I am currently working at A*A*AA (His,Pol,Eng,Phil), So I will most likely be predicted around that range, But i don't believe that it can offset those bad sciences + maths grade- is there a possibility it can?

Additionally i've also been reading quite vivaciously around the subject (primary+ secondary sources)- if i manage to link these with my super curriculars (summer schools, speaking competitions,presentations etc)
Can I feasibly make a competitive application?
Thanks.

Ps: I'm set on Oxford by the way- the course fits me perfectly over any course in Cambridge.
I think your academics and super curriculars make you a viable candidate for Oxford. No one can predict wheter you will get in or not, but if you don't apply, you'll always be wondering "What if?"

Applying to Oxford will only use up one of your five choices anyway. If the worst comes to the worst and you get a rejection, you will still have four other options and at least you will know you tried.
/JR/
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I think your academics and super curriculars make you a viable candidate for Oxford. No one can predict wheter you will get in or not, but if you don't apply, you'll always be wondering "What if?"

Applying to Oxford will only use up one of your five choices anyway. If the worst comes to the worst and you get a rejection, you will still have four other options and at least you will know you tried.
Thanks for the reassurance, I’ll deffo just go for it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...