should you go to the doctors for Social anxiety? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I believe have had anxiety for years but I’ve never really acknowledged it until recently where I’ve realised that it is specifically social situations that make me so anxious. I don’t think my symptoms are so extremely terrible like other people who suffer from social anxiety but I have noticed that it’s getting worse to the point that I don’t want to leave the house. I have a fear of being in places with strangers and crowds,I often make up lies so I don’t have to go out with friends and family. I start sweating and get all flustered,my heart rate increases and I have like butterflies in my stomach. I often feel this way for up to weeks for a social event I know I have to attend. I don’t know if this is me being dramatic or if I should go to a doctors and see if there is anything that can help. I’m not sure if the doctors can even do much I don’t want to do like therapy either..
peach.bear.ann
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Absolutely, a doctor can get you a referral for things like cognitive therapy which is something I had and really helped! Never ignore something if it affects your daily life negatively!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
sarahhhf
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i get this a lot too, my parents don’t really believe me when i say these types of things so i ahve to deal with it. but my friend saw the doctors and has medication for her anxiety, it’s not therapy, it’s just a pill that she takes and it really helps her a lot! also don’t forget you aren’t the only one who feels this way, you aren’t alone
peach.bear.ann
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sarahhhf)
i get this a lot too, my parents don’t really believe me when i say these types of things so i ahve to deal with it. but my friend saw the doctors and has medication for her anxiety, it’s not therapy, it’s just a pill that she takes and it really helps her a lot! also don’t forget you aren’t the only one who feels this way, you aren’t alone
Just to add to this I would totally advice seeking therapy first before meds unless the doctor's adament
marinade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes. Go to the doctor.
Anonymous #1
Yh I don’t really feel comfortable talking to my mum about it but I never considered it as a serious thing, I thought I was just extremely introverted.
(Original post by sarahhhf)
Anonymous #1
I’m just scared to go aswell, the doctors make me so nervous but thank you I think I will try to force myself.

(Original post by marinade)
Yes. Go to the doctor.
marinade
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Social anxiety doesn't have much to do with shyness or introversion but similarities in how people.describe symptoms. Introversion means you are in an overstimulated in an environment to function at your best. A lot.of introverts enjoy company but have to have a bit if quiet time during or after to recharge their batteries. Extroverts aren't getting enough stimulation.

You can get people who are heavily extroverted who develop social anxiety or depression.

It's quite normal for people with moderate to severe anxiety to have difficulty seeing the doctor. It is difficult going, especially the first time or in a while.
Anonymous #1
i see.. thank you sm
(Original post by marinade)
Social anxiety doesn't have much to do with shyness or introversion but similarities in how people.describe symptoms. Introversion means you are in an overstimulated in an environment to function at your best. A lot.of introverts enjoy company but have to have a bit if quiet time during or after to recharge their batteries. Extroverts aren't getting enough stimulation.

You can get people who are heavily extroverted who develop social anxiety or depression.

It's quite normal for people with moderate to severe anxiety to have difficulty seeing the doctor. It is difficult going, especially the first time or in a while.
marinade
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most introverts don't have social anxiety.

Introversion is a big five personality trait and has little to do with anxiety disorders.

I am a very introverted person who also has agoraphobia, which is similar to social anxiety. However I have met many other introverts who don't have any anxiety. About a third of the population are introverts, whereas anxiety conditions individually make up small percentages. I think social anxiety without looking it up is quoted as something like 4-7%.
(Original post by Anonymous)
i see.. thank you sm
I can tell you are sceptical about that, it's up to you see yourself. I am not saying you aren't introverted.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I believe have had anxiety for years but I’ve never really acknowledged it until recently where I’ve realised that it is specifically social situations that make me so anxious. I don’t think my symptoms are so extremely terrible like other people who suffer from social anxiety but I have noticed that it’s getting worse to the point that I don’t want to leave the house. I have a fear of being in places with strangers and crowds,I often make up lies so I don’t have to go out with friends and family. I start sweating and get all flustered,my heart rate increases and I have like butterflies in my stomach. I often feel this way for up to weeks for a social event I know I have to attend. I don’t know if this is me being dramatic or if I should go to a doctors and see if there is anything that can help. I’m not sure if the doctors can even do much I don’t want to do like therapy either..
If you don't help yourself no one can help you. GO to the doctor if you want to feel better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
22.79%
The paper was reasonable (427)
44.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.28%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
14.08%

Watched Threads