Glandular Fever with A Levels Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Help!

I was admitted to hospital last Tuesday with suspected meningitis and bloods came back with high ALT levels from my LFT (basically an enzyme in my liver). They said, for now, there's nothing to worry about and that they will test in June. I was later discharged on Wednesday.

On Thursday I got a call from the doctor who has diagnosed glandular fever. Symptoms have only gotten worse, to the point where I can barely eat/drink.

I am physically and mentally exhausted.

I'm concerned as I have exams in only a few weeks and glandular fever can run its course for up to five months (mainly fatigue by the end though).

On top of all this, my uncle died late last night, which has been stressing me out and making me extremely upset.

I'm petrified that this will all negatively affect my examinations because when I go to revise, none of it is going in. Doctor is saying I need to rest and do revision later, but I don't have time.

I hope to study medicine and need 3 A Grades (my predicted were 2 A* and 1 A Grade). This "hope" is quickly disappearing as yet another day where I'm just so exhausted comes to the present.

Please could someone give me advice? College have asked me to get a medical certificate and they will possibly write to whomever they need to write to regarding all of this, but I'm so scared that I'll be underpar when it gets to exams...
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I don't mean to scaremonger, but it took me 14 months to get over GF, (I'm also one of the rare unlucky sods that has had recurrence of it at later points). So take whatever help you can get. Get the medical notes and see where you stand. Can you defer the exams?
earlybird88
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hopefully you can get an extension or do the exams when maybe the resits are on?

Failing that, load up on all the drugs to help you get through the exam. Take care of yourself, you have had a lot going on. Exams and all that stress can take a back seat, they can always be done some other time.
(Original post by Anonymous)
Help!

I was admitted to hospital last Tuesday with suspected meningitis and bloods came back with high ALT levels from my LFT (basically an enzyme in my liver). They said, for now, there's nothing to worry about and that they will test in June. I was later discharged on Wednesday.

On Thursday I got a call from the doctor who has diagnosed glandular fever. Symptoms have only gotten worse, to the point where I can barely eat/drink.

I'm concerned as I have exams in only a few weeks and glandular fever can run its course for up to five months (mainly fatigue by the end though).

On top of all this, my uncle died late last night, which has been stressing me out and making me extremely upset.

I'm petrified that this will all negatively affect my examinations because when I go to revise, none of it is going in. Doctor is saying I need to rest and do revision later, but I don't have time.

I hope to study medicine and need 3 A Grades (my predicted were 2 A* and 1 A Grade). This "hope" is quickly disappearing as yet another day where I'm just so exhausted comes to the present.

Please could someone give me advice? College have asked me to get a medical certificate and they will possibly write to whomever they need to write to regarding all of this, but I'm so scared that I'll be underpar when it gets to exams...
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Help!

You need to contact your medical schools firm and insurance and inform them of the situation. You must get proof and keep a good record. IT may be possible you will recover in time, but you may not. If you do not then you will just have to resit. Not a lot you can do, see how it goes and try not to panic as theres little you can do, but roll with whatever happens.

The alternative is just to target your strongest papers and sit only those with a view to still getting a grade.

Its unfortunate but these things happen. Be sure to follow the advice your med schools suggest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (41)
5.65%
Fairly positive (242)
33.33%
Just another year... (287)
39.53%
Is it 2020 yet? (156)
21.49%

Watched Threads