The Student Room Group

China slaps US goods with new tariffs

Whilst one can sympathize with the US, to a point, in this situation Trumps handling of it has been hilariously moronic - although my dropping portfolio value simply calls him a ****. He also seems to be blissfully unaware that the US has for centuries been stealing other countries trade secrets, specifically it looted Britains like it was nobodies business and it continues to conduct industrial espionage against countries (although it claims no longer to use stolen secrets to better itself but only in trade negotiations).

Thoughts on this continuing bust up?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48253002

Scroll to see replies

The US has far more leverage here as China can't match the size of Trump's tariffs (due to the trade imbalance).

As a result, I expect China to make some concessions to slightly prolong their accession to economic hegemony.
Reply 2
Original post by Palmyra
The US has far more leverage here as China can't match the size of Trump's tariffs (due to the trade imbalance).

As a result, I expect China to make some concessions to slightly prolong their accession to economic hegemony.

Debatable, I mean China can quite happily reply (as it has previously) by lowering its currency value. Equally the US has few other places to turn to try and replace China as its the workshop of the world still.
I'd be interested to see how long it takes for a domestic backlash against Herr Trump on this though as the people being hurt by this are almost universally his base, with farmers being the worst hit. China on the other hand can likely manage to artificially smooth over the effects for quite a long time (although not indefinitely) by virtue of its state run economy.

I mean i do imagine China will make some concessions but whether Washington gives ground as well will likely determine where this leads.
Original post by Napp
Whilst one can sympathize with the US, to a point, in this situation Trumps handling of it has been hilariously moronic - although my dropping portfolio value simply calls him a ****. He also seems to be blissfully unaware that the US has for centuries been stealing other countries trade secrets, specifically it looted Britains like it was nobodies business and it continues to conduct industrial espionage against countries (although it claims no longer to use stolen secrets to better itself but only in trade negotiations).

Thoughts on this continuing bust up?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-48253002

They are looking after their own interests.

The USA are the buyers and the buyers always hold the whip hand if they are willing to force the issue.
Reply 4
Original post by paul514
They are looking after their own interests.

The USA are the buyers and the buyers always hold the whip hand if they are willing to force the issue.

Whose interests? It’s certainly not the American populace’s interest to have more expensive goods.

If you’re talking about self flagellation I agree.
I fully support the Trade War. China is a monster that cannot be allowed to become a superpower.

And yes, I'm aware the US is quite evil too, but they're the lesser evil to me.
Reply 6
Original post by The Champion.m4a
I fully support the Trade War. China is a monster that cannot be allowed to become a superpower.

And yes, I'm aware the US is quite evil too, but they're the lesser evil to me.

Why is it a monster exactly? Not disagreeing per-se i'm just curious why you say that.
Reply 7
Mr Trump's approach in the dispute has put him at odds with his own top economic adviser, Larry Kudlow, who has said "both sides will suffer".

More fake news by the BBC. Pathetic, it was a given that 5 seconds would be enough to blow their manipulative misinformation out of the park.

Larry Kudlow On China Tariffs: A Risk We Should Take To Correct 20 Years Of Unfair Trade

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/05/12/larry_kudlow_on_china_tariffs_a_risk_we_should_take_to_correct_20_years_of_unfair_trade.html

What's happening at the Beeb and other places is that the old journalistic guard is being replaced with a juvenile and docile intake of people who will spend their lives promoting the political agendas of their masters. The way we're going, there will be no credible journalism anywhere at all soon.
Reply 8
Original post by z-hog
More fake news by the BBC. Pathetic, it was a given that 5 seconds would be enough to blow their manipulative misinformation out of the park.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/05/12/larry_kudlow_on_china_tariffs_a_risk_we_should_take_to_correct_20_years_of_unfair_trade.html

What's happening at the Beeb and other places is that the old journalistic guard is being replaced with a juvenile and docile intake of people who will spend their lives promoting the political agendas of their masters. The way we're going, there will be no credible journalism anywhere at all soon.

Will you stop whining and spreading conspiracy theories which are manifestly untrue. We've all seen the video of the man publicly saying the trade war will hurt americans whilst Trumpetta has repeatedly said that its great.

I do find your last comment more than slightly risible though given I imagine you're the sort to tune into Fox, Breitbart, Infowars etc. who wouldnt know "real news" if i beat their dogs to death with a stack of broadsheets.
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
Will you stop whining and spreading conspiracy theories which are manifestly untrue.

That's how you're manipulated by the BBC, with all their half-truths and facile innuendo. Did you have to read it from someone to learn that there is always an effect to trade disputes, are you going to publish the name of the Chinese official 'at odds' with the leadership over how hurt China will be?

Don't say, he wants to hurt America because he is an idiot. That's pretty much the BBC's message to their audience, perfectly in tune with the rest of the anti-Trump group of interests. None of this is serious journalism anymore, it is for simple-minded people only. Propaganda.

As for news sources, I used to watch Rachel Maddow but her ratings have taken a serious beating with the collapse of the Russia Collusion hoax she so enthusiastically promoted over two years and her latest meltdown over the 'scoop' on Trump's tax returns has put me and millions of others off.

Rachel Maddow had a big scoop, and she handled it her way.

With a single tweet on Tuesday, Ms. Maddow, the MSNBC anchor, set the political world ablaze, announcing at 7:36 p.m. that she was poised to reveal previously unseen tax records from President Trump on her 9 p.m. program. (“Seriously,” Ms. Maddow added.)

Kept everyone waiting for 85 minutes to reveal that Trump paid 35 million bucks in tax in 2005. Even the New York Times had to watch it through the fingers, many people saying they'd never seen anything like it. I think I'll try Fox for something a bit more interesting, checked them a few times and they seem much better than CNN.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by z-hog
That's how you're manipulated by the BBC, with all their half-truths and facile innuendo. Did you have to read it from someone to learn that there is always an effect to trade disputes, are you going to publish the name of the Chinese official 'at odds' with the leadership over how hurt China will be?

Don't say, he wants to hurt America because he is an idiot. That's pretty much the BBC's message to their audience, perfectly in tune with the rest of the anti-Trump group of interests. None of this is serious journalism anymore, it is for simple-minded people only. Propaganda.

As for news sources, I used to watch Rachel Maddow but her ratings have taken a serious beating with the collapse of the Russia Collusion hoax she so enthusiastically promoted over two years and her latest meltdown over the 'scoop' on Trump's tax returns has put me and millions of others off.

Kept everyone waiting for 85 minutes to reveal that Trump paid 35 million bucks in tax in 2005. Even the New York Times had to watch it through the fingers, many people saying they'd never seen anything like it. I think I'll try Fox for something a bit more interesting, checked them a few times and they seem much better than CNN.

Yes im manipulated by the BBC? ahahah pray tell how you came to this moronic conclusion?
eh?
Well Trump is an idiot, only an idiot would think he isn't sunshine.
So you got your news from a grand total of 1 source? and a dubious one at that? Bravo :lol: that is to say nothing of the fact there is not a shred of evidence to say Trump and the other weirdos on his team didnt collude. The investigation said as much.

If by interesting you mean more blatant in their lies and conspiracy theory peddling then sure. At least CNN has the good grace to make their lies seem plausible, unlike Fox who said that people with smallpox were crossing the border. At least make an attempt to get your news from a variety of sources (and ones of at least mild repute) fox and CNN are nothing but propaganda outlets of the worst sort.
Reply 11
Original post by Napp
At least make an attempt to get your news from a variety of sources (and ones of at least mild repute)...

Name one.
Reply 12
Original post by z-hog
Name one.

In relation to what? There are dozens of various outlets one uses depending on the subject matter. Although the news wire services tend to be rather good for a broad coverage of global events. AFP, AP, Reuters and TASS being rather useful.
The problem with this, as I'm sure China is aware, is that the US is in a position of strength. China exports far more to the US than it imports.

I'm not quite sure if this will have the intended effect Trump wants, but it will certainly negatively affect China's economy.
Reply 14
Original post by navarre
The problem with this, as I'm sure China is aware, is that the US is in a position of strength. China exports far more to the US than it imports.

I'm not quite sure if this will have the intended effect Trump wants, but it will certainly negatively affect China's economy.

As with Brexit, we are told the half of the story that suits someone and no more. For all the doom-mongering pushed by the BBC and the rest with the no-deal scenario and how bad it would be for the UK... we never hear a word about the impact on the EU because it doesn't fit within the remit of making people know only what they're wanted to know (namely, that we ought to forget Brexit). That's a way of manipulating the news, leaving the other half of the story out.
Original post by Napp
Why is it a monster exactly? Not disagreeing per-se i'm just curious why you say that.

I'm from Hong Kong. That should be enough of a clue.
Original post by Napp
Whose interests? It’s certainly not the American populace’s interest to have more expensive goods.

If you’re talking about self flagellation I agree.

The American economy is the consumer interest as it’s how they get their income and tax to pay for services.
Crazy and murderous dictatorship usually passes easily as a monster :biggrin:
Original post by Napp
Reply 18
Original post by paul514
The American economy is the consumer interest as it’s how they get their income and tax to pay for services.

Seeing as this money universally comes from out of their pocket, not China’s, they’re hardly benefiting from this?
Reply 19
Original post by The Champion.m4a
I'm from Hong Kong. That should be enough of a clue.

Enough to dislike the party I’m curious why you hate the country writ large though

Quick Reply

Latest