one eye randomly became short sighted Watch

EyestriX
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Admera)
Okay I have just got back from the opticians where he said I am short sighted in one eye and my other eye is fine. I don't have to have glasses currently because as I said before with both eyes I can see fine, so much so that I never realised I was short sighted. Thanks for all the help!
You know if you have an eye with no refractive error, and an eye which is myopic, you'll be able to see clear at all distances even when you become a presbyope with age (when you'll need reading glasses)
Because your myopic eye will see close up things clear when the other sees is blurry and for distance your good eye will take over
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Admera
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
ever since coming back from the opticians my eyesight has felt so much worse than before, ik this kind of thing is supposed to develop over a long period of time but I can't help but feel it's only just happened. it might just be that my brain is really aware of it now that I know but I'm not sure. Is there anything I should do day to day to help my eye out?
Admera
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by EyestriX)
You know if you have an eye with no refractive error, and an eye which is myopic, you'll be able to see clear at all distances even when you become a presbyope with age (when you'll need reading glasses)
Because your myopic eye will see close up things clear when the other sees is blurry and for distance your good eye will take over
yeah that's how I am at the moment but the eye with the issue is my dominant eye so I feel like some of the blur comes through into my vision.
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Okay I meant thing I could see before without my glasses
But i don't understand why, myopic people don't struggle with accommodation, if anything they need to relax they accommodation. Can you explain to me how it works?
Sigh I feel like I know nothing
Myopic people may have some convergence problems (I used 'accommodation' because it is easier to understand, and people do separate it from astigmatism/focusing).

Relax, I have a slightly uncommon approach, I'd rather use a slight undercorrection than use an overcorrection.
Despite having convergence problems you don't really need your full correction for up close, especially if your full correction corrects you to more than 20/20. You may even see better or at least feel better with ADD of 0.50,
EyestriX
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 20 hours ago
(Original post by Kathy89)
Myopic people may have some convergence problems (I used 'accommodation' because it is easier to understand, and people do separate it from astigmatism/focusing).

Relax, I have a slightly uncommon approach, I'd rather use a slight undercorrection than use an overcorrection.
Despite having convergence problems you don't really need your full correction for up close, especially if your full correction corrects you to more than 20/20. You may even see better or at least feel better with ADD of 0.50,
I wish you were my optometrists. You seem to understand how to fix something in the long run.

That convergence problem really annoys me. I see double all the time unless i actively/consciously fuse it into one. If i lose focus for a second it starts to becomes 2 and then I do it again etc...
It happens even with glasses and i have noticed it's not just convergence it's also acommodation because when I close one eye and hold something up close like looking at my phone... Then Shift my gaze from distance to near I will see blurry for 1-2 seconds and then I have to make it clear - it doesn't do it automatically. If i don't do that it stays blurry or goes more blurry until i can be bothered to make it clear
BTW that happens both with and without glasses

So binocularly, my vision goes blurry which leads to my eyes diverging
So i am thinking is accommodation the real problem here?
My amplitude of accommodation when measures is fine though
Last edited by EyestriX; 20 hours ago
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 hours ago
I wish you were my optometrists. You seem to understand how to fix something in the long run.

That convergence problem really annoys me. I see double all the time unless i actively/consciously fuse it into one. If i lose focus for a second it starts to becomes 2 and then I do it again etc...
It happens even with glasses and i have noticed it's not just convergence it's also acommodation because when I close one eye and hold something up close like looking at my phone... Then Shift my gaze from distance to near I will see blurry for 1-2 seconds and then I have to make it clear - it doesn't do it automatically. If i don't do that it stays blurry or goes more blurry until i can be bothered to make it clear
BTW that happens both with and without glasses

So binocularly, my vision goes blurry which leads to my eyes diverging
So i am thinking is accommodation the real problem here?
My amplitude of accommodation when measures is fine though
Honestly, I am more guessing than knowing... and I talk a lot with patients, trying to find the root of the problem. Being a strange case myself, I understand how much good communication means to a patient. I am also always honest and explain that optometry is not an exact science, there are many things you have to simply guess and try. And honestly, as an eye examiner, I'm not that good. I often look for certain things that aren't there, I can't preform a completely objective test (which is a problem), so I'm not nearly as good as you think.
You should run a complete test to find out what's wrong with you... it may take a few attempts. The most important thing is to learn to be a patient. Black is not always clear, so be more specific when you say which lens is better, say that lens 1 is more black while lens 2 is correct. Optometrist don't always explain things like that.... You can chat with me on privet I will explain more (it will also help you later when you'll check patients).
It took years to find what's wrong with my eyes and why I can't read with my full prescription while having pretty strong prescription and astigmatism, so I can't really read without glasses as well. All the test were fine, no problems with any focusing thing (apart from astigmatism) but still 20/20 correction is too strong for me to read with.... after a few years one professor suggested it is fatigue issues and my eyes get tired of glasses and without glasses, so weaker prescription will help me adopt to glasses, he suggested wearing weaker glasses for reading and computer and stronger for distance and each time (6-12 months) to reduce the ADD power until I completely adjust to wearing glasses all the time.... He said that the reason for all that is that I am not used to wearing glasses even though I have a high prescription and need them all the time....
Each case is different, and a proper eye exam is always good, sometimes it takes more than one visit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (38)
5.73%
Fairly positive (216)
32.58%
Just another year... (263)
39.67%
Is it 2020 yet? (146)
22.02%

Watched Threads