The Student Room Group

Help (detailed repost)

during my fist year at university in 2014/5 i was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and I also have a 'black dog'. i wanted
to quit but i didn't i managed to carry on this far.. but now i am have finally made it to my 3rd year after 5 years of trying... last semester i lost a member of my family. 2 days later i recieved an email from my lecturer about my attendene.. in the email she told me that a would fail... the week following i tried to speak with her after class and she asked me to come to her office and discuss as she was on her way to another class... in her office she made accusations against me. as i tried to explain that i had just lost someone she told me she does not care what has happened in my personal life.. she called me a liar repeatedly.... i felt helpless, so i responded by saying im not going to have her speak to me like that she told me that shes the Dr i cannot talk to her that way... in the corridor this lecturer carried on as i was crying trying to phone someone.. i said i am on the phone she got closer and pushed me into the wall...the uni didn’t do much to support me. the member of staff was suspended, following that they died in march this year. the dean of faculty phoned me personally to let me know… i didn’t take it well. i am still not taking it well. i blame myself… like did i stress them out with my complaint did i bring this on???? i cant clear my mind. i haven’t been able to settle into my second semester and i am now failing. 6 assignments 4 weeks to do the impossible
You're not the one to blame. You did nothing wrong and her death was not in your hands.
Original post by Lostgirlwlv
during my fist year at university in 2014/5 i was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, and I also have a 'black dog'. i wanted
to quit but i didn't i managed to carry on this far.. but now i am have finally made it to my 3rd year after 5 years of trying... last semester i lost a member of my family. 2 days later i recieved an email from my lecturer about my attendene.. in the email she told me that a would fail... the week following i tried to speak with her after class and she asked me to come to her office and discuss as she was on her way to another class... in her office she made accusations against me. as i tried to explain that i had just lost someone she told me she does not care what has happened in my personal life.. she called me a liar repeatedly.... i felt helpless, so i responded by saying im not going to have her speak to me like that she told me that shes the Dr i cannot talk to her that way... in the corridor this lecturer carried on as i was crying trying to phone someone.. i said i am on the phone she got closer and pushed me into the wall...the uni didn’t do much to support me. the member of staff was suspended, following that they died in march this year. the dean of faculty phoned me personally to let me know… i didn’t take it well. i am still not taking it well. i blame myself… like did i stress them out with my complaint did i bring this on???? i cant clear my mind. i haven’t been able to settle into my second semester and i am now failing. 6 assignments 4 weeks to do the impossible

You have no idea what was going on in this lecturer's life (mentally, emotionally, physically etc.), so it's impossible to blame yourself. It's tempting to see your interaction with them as a pivotal moment, but in reality it was probably one in a long line of possible events.

I think it would help to speak to student support about the way you've been feeling, and that will also help you to get any mitigating circumstances claims in for the assignments you are yet to complete. I might also be a good idea to let the lecturers in charge of each assignments know that you may need more time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending