User Experience, University of Nottingham VS Loughborough University Watch

ochul21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Which university is better?
I got an offer from University of Nottingham, MSc HCI and Loughborough University, M.A User Experience Design.
I am very much interested in HMI, vehicle interface design, and user experience. Both universities have the car simulators and have related projects
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I know (doctoral) graduates from both places, in physics/chemistry rather than in your area, and both institutions are great, no, actually wonderful!

I'd say that Snottingham (old name) has slightly better scientific prestige than Luffbro, and that the thousand year old caves under Notts town are more interesting (to me) than the slightly more remote sports campus of Loughborough, but frankly none of that seems relevant in your highly focussed further degree.

can you check which modules will be taught by which tutor (I did this for an EPFL course, compared to another place) and then rank which teaching team has exactly the correct focus and awareness for your intended needs. Sometimes you can get a shock! One college that I checked out had a famous guy, that in practise nobody wanted to work with - I doubt that you would get this, but make a spreadsheet, SWOT analysis?
ochul21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 hours ago
Thank you for answering.
I doubt that ranking of these two. Could you help me. Loughborough ranked #6 among universities in the UK but Nottingham ranked #17 or so.. it seems like they have much difference and the gap might be severe in the future? I am a foreign student so I don't know which one would be great. I think both have really great professors and facilities and each has its advantages. I would like to know which one is a little bit better for computer science field? or which one is little bit better for connection with car industry. (From what I found was similar..)
In the computer science ranking, Loughborough is better but sometimes ranking is not trustworthy. I would like to know general perception that the only British students know.
(Original post by LuigiMario)
I know (doctoral) graduates from both places, in physics/chemistry rather than in your area, and both institutions are great, no, actually wonderful!

I'd say that Snottingham (old name) has slightly better scientific prestige than Luffbro, and that the thousand year old caves under Notts town are more interesting (to me) than the slightly more remote sports campus of Loughborough, but frankly none of that seems relevant in your highly focussed further degree.

can you check which modules will be taught by which tutor (I did this for an EPFL course, compared to another place) and then rank which teaching team has exactly the correct focus and awareness for your intended needs. Sometimes you can get a shock! One college that I checked out had a famous guy, that in practise nobody wanted to work with - I doubt that you would get this, but make a spreadsheet, SWOT analysis?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 51 minutes ago
I can only answer your question from my academic experience in my field, currently renewable energy research, having personally met alumni and current staff graduated from and still working at Notts & Loughboro'

so extant these facts, I personally rate Nottingham as slightly higher quality, slightly older, slightly better than Loughborough. Nottingham is , for example, one of the 24 universities that comprise the 'elite' Russell group. https://russellgroup.ac.uk/

This is a research-university grouping that resembles the German U15 e.V. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U15_(German_universities) (China has a similar C9 group), but equally many students ignore the Russell group and choose a non-Russell branded university in the UK and still have a great time.

You would NOT go wrong for your MA/MSc with either/or of your binary choice!

with reference to "I doubt that ranking of these two.".....

rankings?s=computer%20science

This 'random' website shows that for undergrad computer science ranking for 2020, Notts is seventeenth , whilst Loughborough is twenty-second in the UK. (personally again, I consider that anywhere in the top sixty of this ranking would give an excellent comp sci degree or post-grad qualification)

17==22

However, for your specific query as for the car-industry connection, that is for you to analyse further - UK car industry is mainly OXFORD (BMW mini) , SUNDERLAND (Nissan) , SOLIHULL/COVENTRY (Jaguar Land-Rover), SWINDON (Honda) . but these are constantly changing, Swindon may close in one year or two, JLR may merge with PSA, Nissan's future plans... who knows!

There does exist quite an important car-industry in UK , not the mass market, but subtle design and niche products, such as the McLaren F1 Team, based at McLaren Technology Centre, Woking, Surrey - there are quite a few of these 'expert-led' teams, here and there in the UK - you'd have to read a lot to find out which college they are associated with, if any! and remember that pure EV & PHEV is the very near future, a bit of a transport revolution is coming

enjoy
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 44 minutes ago
Rankings wise, Nottingham tends to do better globally and Loughborough seems to be very hot domestically. Which rankings are more important? No one really knows. Internationally Nottingham likely would get more recognition from a general conversation, when im at home in Germany alot of people exclaim Oh! Isn't that where robinhood is from lol. Loughborough is a pretty obscure place in a global context, and it is quite the small little village. However if you plan to work in the UK i would say both are equal. If you were to go abroad, you might have just a slight advantage with the Nottingham name.
(Original post by ochul21)
Thank you for answering.
I doubt that ranking of these two. Could you help me. Loughborough ranked #6 among universities in the UK but Nottingham ranked #17 or so.. it seems like they have much difference and the gap might be severe in the future? I am a foreign student so I don't know which one would be great. I think both have really great professors and facilities and each has its advantages. I would like to know which one is a little bit better for computer science field? or which one is little bit better for connection with car industry. (From what I found was similar..)
In the computer science ranking, Loughborough is better but sometimes ranking is not trustworthy. I would like to know general perception that the only British students know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (76)
16.17%
The paper was reasonable (234)
49.79%
Not feeling great about that exam... (112)
23.83%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
10.21%

Watched Threads