Should I take the exams? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am a first year student and the first term went fairly well. However, since the start of second term, my mental health has been deteriorating. This is the first time in my life that I've experienced this so at first I didn't take it seriously but then it started to affect my whole life. I went to my GP and tried counselling too (the counsellor thinks I have severe depression) but haven't had much success. My exams start next week and I haven't even covered all the content and have done zero past papers. I talked to my senior tutor and basically I have two options:

1. Do the exams and if I fail I can resit under first time rules
2. Delay the exams and do them in summer

I don't feel ready at all but I don't want to come back in the summer either. Seeing everyone enjoy their summer whilst I'm still revising will make my mental health even worse. My counsellor suggested taking antidepressants but I'm worried about the side effects and it will still take a couple of weeks for them to work.
DrawTheLine
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am a first year student and the first term went fairly well. However, since the start of second term, my mental health has been deteriorating. This is the first time in my life that I've experienced this so at first I didn't take it seriously but then it started to affect my whole life. I went to my GP and tried counselling too (the counsellor thinks I have severe depression) but haven't had much success. My exams start next week and I haven't even covered all the content and have done zero past papers. I talked to my senior tutor and basically I have two options:

1. Do the exams and if I fail I can resit under first time rules
2. Delay the exams and do them in summer

I don't feel ready at all but I don't want to come back in the summer either. Seeing everyone enjoy their summer whilst I'm still revising will make my mental health even worse. My counsellor suggested taking antidepressants but I'm worried about the side effects and it will still take a couple of weeks for them to work.
With either of those options, you'll have to come back in the summer to take your exams. If I was you, I would give them a go now (you might surprise yourself) and then at least you have some experience of what the exam is like to help prep you for the resit.

Secret option number 3 is suspending your studies for the year and sorting out your mental health. Get treatment, support and whatever else you need to get into a good place, and then in 2020 come back to your degree where you'll be in a better state of mind to cope with the demands of a course.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
22.79%
The paper was reasonable (427)
44.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.28%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
14.08%

Watched Threads