I'm scared I won't get into any universities in the U.K. Watch

username3975222
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So... I've been (mostly) a straight-A student throughout high school but I'm almost a senior soon and I've been really anxious recently about getting into universities in the UK. I am also in the International Baccalaureate program, so that worries me even more because it's actually quite tough and is different from my actual GPA. So.. it's like my GPA doesn't even matter... Maybe the most I can get for my IB overall score is a 31-34, and that's just if I'm lucky... Also, it's not like I want to go to the most prestigious school, but at least a recognizable, good one.
Puddles the Monkey
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Heya - I don't think you need to feel anxious, you will be fine What universities are you thinking of applying for a what subjects?
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
with 34 you would get into places like Swansea and Kent. Slightly better you could try the likes of Lancaster.
(Original post by mcnishhmichelle)
So... I've been (mostly) a straight-A student throughout high school but I'm almost a senior soon and I've been really anxious recently about getting into universities in the UK. I am also in the International Baccalaureate program, so that worries me even more because it's actually quite tough and is different from my actual GPA. So.. it's like my GPA doesn't even matter... Maybe the most I can get for my IB overall score is a 31-34, and that's just if I'm lucky... Also, it's not like I want to go to the most prestigious school, but at least a recognizable, good one.
Avogadrocado
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Come to Australia!
(Original post by mcnishhmichelle)
username3975222
Rep:
?
I'm thinking of applying to the University of Glasgow, Aberdeen, Strathclyde, and Gloucestershire (maybe more haha) to study Psychology ... Among these four, University of Glasgow is the one I like the most, but I don't think I'll be able to meet the requirements... so I don't want to get my hopes up...

(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
Heya - I don't think you need to feel anxious, you will be fine What universities are you thinking of applying for a what subjects?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
check very carefully the fees, Scotland is offering EU citizens reciprocal 'local fees' (currently zero for 2019 entry and perhaps promised as zero for 2020 entry) the rest of UK has briefly mentioned an astonishing £38K per year for EU students (according to a recent Financial Times article, which said UK Gov was considering many options, and hasn't yet decided what to do)

However, good news is that friends doing EU based European Baccalaureate have been offered places this year at UWS Paisley, Stirling, Napier, QMU, Abertay, Aberdeen, Dundee, Strathclyde, Glasgow, St. Andrews and Edinburgh. (going approximately higher in entrance tarif from around 65% to around 85% in eBAC). there did seem to be some place restrictions in Scotland, as a 'free' degree is rather amazing value for money, so if you might qualify for this then your 31/32 at IB could probably get you into at least one of Stirling, Napier, QMU, Abertay, Aberdeen, Dundee, Strathclyde, Glasgow...?

UWS offered an 'unconditional' for Psychology to a friend this year, and she's not going to be getting anything as good as your possible score!
username3975222
Rep:
?
Thank you! That was very informative and helpful!
(Original post by LuigiMario)
check very carefully the fees, Scotland is offering EU citizens reciprocal 'local fees' (currently zero for 2019 entry and perhaps promised as zero for 2020 entry) the rest of UK has briefly mentioned an astonishing £38K per year for EU students (according to a recent Financial Times article, which said UK Gov was considering many options, and hasn't yet decided what to do)

However, good news is that friends doing EU based European Baccalaureate have been offered places this year at UWS Paisley, Stirling, Napier, QMU, Abertay, Aberdeen, Dundee, Strathclyde, Glasgow, St. Andrews and Edinburgh. (going approximately higher in entrance tarif from around 65% to around 85% in eBAC). there did seem to be some place restrictions in Scotland, as a 'free' degree is rather amazing value for money, so if you might qualify for this then your 31/32 at IB could probably get you into at least one of Stirling, Napier, QMU, Abertay, Aberdeen, Dundee, Strathclyde, Glasgow...?

UWS offered an 'unconditional' for Psychology to a friend this year, and she's not going to be getting anything as good as your possible score!
Sefrca
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi there. With your IB score there are certainly loads of unis in the UK that will take you for psychology. The question is whether you feel they are worth the money (if applicable), time and effort. Using the common UK uni search tools eg Which Uni and UCAS’s own course finder, you should be able to find all of the courses that you qualify for, and then maybe using the league tables (although with caution!!), TSR and UniStats etc to decide whether you think it would be worth it. Best of luck
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
username3975222
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thank you!
(Original post by Sefrca)
Hi there. With your IB score there are certainly loads of unis in the UK that will take you for psychology. The question is whether you feel they are worth the money (if applicable), time and effort. Using the common UK uni search tools eg Which Uni and UCAS’s own course finder, you should be able to find all of the courses that you qualify for, and then maybe using the league tables (although with caution!!), TSR and UniStats etc to decide whether you think it would be worth it. Best of luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (519)
26.25%
The paper was reasonable (861)
43.55%
Not feeling great about that exam (388)
19.63%
It was TERRIBLE (209)
10.57%

Watched Threads