hamish ocr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hello all! Could anyone be kind enough to assist me? recently i couldn't help but lose sleep over the safety of my confidential documents on my laptop, does anyone have any advice for me?
Batteries
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
use encryption software (Google it and find a free program) that will mean even if people take the files they won't be able to read it. Or use winrar to zip the files into a folder and put a password on it.
hamish ocr
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thank you for thew hasty response. i will be sure to take your wise words into consideration next time i access a public network.

p.s. hopefully i'll be able to get a wink of sleep tonight
Jamesshoreo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You could consider physical security, too. Keep it locked away when not in use
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Firstly remember that there is no such thing as a 100% secure solution. Even military-grade security used by western governments and global tech giants could be hacked, the best thing you can do is to take a few standard, sensible precautions that protect you from common threats and to make it much more difficult for any person or malware to compromise your devices and data.

Are you running Windows? If so make sure you have things like Windows Defender and Firewall running to help protect yourself against malware. (otherwise, pick any decent supported Firewall and malware protection software for whichever O/S you're running)

Also in Windows, consider enabling Bitlocker drive encryption (Again, for other devices, consider some other drive encryption mechanism)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...sked-questions

Consider hosting files in a secure cloud drive instead of having everything stored locally, and make sure that your account for those are protected with Multi-Factor Authentication (i.e. Password and Authenticator). For example, using OneDrive or Google Drive -- https://support.google.com/drive/answer/141702

Make sure you use strong passwords for your accounts which consist of more than one word, use mixed-case letters, numbers and non-alphanumeric characters. Always use multi-factor authentication wherever it's available. If you have lots of different accounts on different sites, then you could consider using a Digital password vault to help you manage your passwords in one place and auto-generate strong passwords for individual sites.

If you're going to be connecting to public wi-fi networks then consider paying for a good quality secure VPN service like NordVPN too

Lastly, just learn to be vigilant. Most people who suffer security breaches were victims of social engineering - for example, they handed over their own personal details over the telephone to someone impersonating a bank or private company, or they fell for a "phishing" scam in an e-mail, or they downloaded and ran a dodgy file from a dodgy website on the internet somewhere. The best thing anyone can do to protect themselves is just to keep your wits about you and never be complacent about your security or privacy. (remember that someone who has enough of your personal data can potentially "steal" your identity, and impersonate you to get around your security; so if you make it hard for people to get your personal data, you make it hard for them to impersonate you)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.19%
I'm not sure (27)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.55%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.75%

Watched Threads