I give up on my GCSEs. Watch

TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
You will need to go to your exam room unless you want to be fined and kicked out.

Brotip: To pass you need to do what the examiner wants.

This is true for both math and english. Take my case: I'm considered gifted in math but failed to get A* in GCSE math because I didn't practice past papers so I didn't know what the examiner wants. I got A* in english tho.
TheTroll73
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by TheTroll73)
You will need to go to your exam room unless you want to be fined and kicked out.

Brotip: To pass you need to do what the examiner wants.

This is true for both math and english. Take my case: I'm considered gifted in math but failed to get A* in GCSE math because I didn't practice past papers so I didn't know what the examiner wants. I got A* in english tho.
I should add that I am definitely not gifted in English so I practiced many papers and followed the exam technique...

Also I am terrible at literature but I still managed to get a C so I think it should be doable to pass your GCSE's OP. Just try your best! (I was expecting an E in literaure)
Imogen_barr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I understand why you feel as though you should give up and not go to your exam next week, however even if you think you know what the outcome is going to be, you might have a good day, the paper might have stuff on it that you understand and you might end up passing! And if worse comes to the worst, you know that you tried your hardest because in the end that is all that matters, the grade is just a bonus. So go to the exam next week and try your best! I am sure that you will do amazing. But if you don't go and sit the exam, you will never know whether you would have passed or not and trust me you will be so mad at yourself for not at least trying.
Good luck
Porridge_Spoon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by username4658834)
In Year 11, I took my GCSE exams. I failed every single one; not even one 4.

So I started at College in September last year, and I'm forced to do Maths and English. I've put all the effort in, spent nights just revising, asked teachers for help and so on but... I'm no closer to passing than I was last year.

And I've tried everything. Past papers (they never help), R.C.R (read, cover, repeat), writing down notes and putting them on my wall, etc. I've also tried 1-to-1 Tuition, but it never works, and I honestly just hate it.

So I've decided to give up on them. All it does is stress me out and upset me, and regardless of how much effort I put in, I never get anything out of it.

I have an exam next week, I won't go in. Because whether I do or don't, I'll always get the same result.
Look, you've revised you've studied and now you're here. Go in and try your absolute best, staying at home and moping without revision is one thing but staying at home and moping even after you've prepared yourself is another. There is no guarantee that you'll pass, just as there's no guarantee that you'll fail, but if you don't go to that exam there's not even the most minute chance of success.
Lkathryn08
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It must be hard to feel like failure is inevitable but you are giving up on yourself. If you’re getting questions wrong, why? That’s the key to improving, you will never pass by just accepting failure. If you try and don’t pass you can at least see if you made any improvement and where you went wrong.

You say past papers are useless, do you feel like you get so much wrong that theres no point in trying again and move on. Go through every incorrect question with the solution and try to understand the solution, obviously this is far easier with maths. For English, if you have particular texts to study, revision guides are tour friend, even if you can’t come up with tour own suggestions, the revision guides should have plenty of points you can memorise and use. There is a way forward and while the effort you’re making seems admirable, it’s the way you revise which is also important. Spending an hour effectively revising weak points in your knowledge and improve your understanding is much better than trying to remember a textbook as you need to apply the knowledge you learn and past paper questions will help you do that.

The fear of failure won’t get you anywhere. If you go throughout your life never trying anything for fear of failing then you’ll struggle to climb up the career ladder too as well as exams.
s.becca
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
don't give up! you lose nothing by trying and you never know what will happen if you don't give it a go
amy3552
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Seriously? With a name like spring pug your probably a 40 year old woman with nothing better to do...why feel the need to put others down? To the person taking the exam don’t give up, You’ll get there eventually. Keep up the good work and believe in yourself!
(Original post by SpringPug)
What do you expect people to say? If we tell you to give it a go you're just going to say "but I already know what will happen".

It's clear you're just writing this for attention. If not, take the advice and go in for your exam
ihatePE
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by username4658834)
I don't need to "see what happens" when I know full well what Will happen.
I was working at a C in History A level, I got an A at the end. so no, you will not know what will happen unless you intentionally sabotage yourself?
SpringPug
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by amy3552)
Seriously? With a name like spring pug your probably a 40 year old woman with nothing better to do...why feel the need to put others down? To the person taking the exam don’t give up, You’ll get there eventually. Keep up the good work and believe in yourself!
I'm not trying to put him down. People are giving him advice and he isn't taking it - so what is the point of the post? I want this person to go into the exam and do well. I'm just trying to be blunt by saying if he doesn't go, there's nothing more he can do.

I wouldn't go out of my way to make someone feel bad about an exam - especially when I've felt bad about the exams I've had. I'm taking my personal experience and saying if he doesn't want to take the advice then what else is there to do?
Huckipity
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by SpringPug)
I'm not trying to put him down. People are giving him advice and he isn't taking it - so what is the point of the post? I want this person to go into the exam and do well. I'm just trying to be blunt by saying if he doesn't go, there's nothing more he can do.

I wouldn't go out of my way to make someone feel bad about an exam - especially when I've felt bad about the exams I've had. I'm taking my personal experience and saying if he doesn't want to take the advice then what else is there to do?
I wrote something along the lines of: "keep going, but I'd suggest speaking to a teacher/doctor if you're not getting anywhere even though you're revising, good luck" and my message got deleted because apparently it's harsh? I was just offering genuine advice with no bad intention. Too many snowflakes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (193)
22.52%
The paper was reasonable (359)
41.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (168)
19.6%
It was TERRIBLE (137)
15.99%

Watched Threads