Have you applied for student finance?

Watch
Poll: Have you applied for student finance?
Yes (33)
40.74%
Not yet but will do (31)
38.27%
I'm not applying (17)
20.99%
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So student finance has been open for months but some of us (myself included) are much less organised and have only just completed the application.

Have you applied for student finance?
Is this the first time you're applying, or are you a returning student?
Are you facing complications with the application process?
Share your thoughts below.

:tsr2: is here to help! Post a question in the Student Financial Support forum or see specific sub forums for advice about Student Finance in Wales , Northern Ireland, England, Scotland.

Postgraduate applications have recently opened too! And if you have further questions about Postgraduate student in general you may wish to check out the Postgraduate Applications forum.

Lastly if you need to do some reading up about student finance in general, do check out TSR's guides here.

random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Only just sent off my birth certificate, oops.
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
When’s it due in for i still need to do it
ThePhoenixLament
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just applied for next year as a continuing student
Bit of a rarity as a Welsh NHS bursary student using SFE!
The problems I have are 45 week academic years and my student loan getting reduced as it's my final year!
So I have £1.8k of maintenance loan (I get a reduced loan anyway because of the grant, the reduction is more than the grant) and £1k of NHS bursary grant to take me from the end of August to mid-June. And my term this year doesn't finish until the end of July. With no holidays to work in...
Any other suggestions to get a bit more to live off? Not sure if Student Finance Wales would offer more than Student Finance England (if that's even an option). Or way of appealing as I do have longer academic years to your average student and therefore higher living costs?
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
End of this month.
04MR17
Rep:
?
You can apply as late as 9 months after your course starts but if you want the money in time for when you begin your course then you better get a shift on.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/when
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 year ago
Ray_Shadows
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by random_matt)
End of this month.
(Original post by 04MR17)
You can apply as late as 9 months after your course starts but if you want the money in time for when you begin your course then you better get a shift on.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/when
K thank you , I’ve like made an account and everything I just need to go through the actual application- how long does it normally take to finish application (been busy with exam revision)
04MR17
Rep:
?
K thank you , I’ve like made an account and everything I just need to go through the actual application- how long does it normally take to finish application (been busy with exam revision)
They tell you it will take half an hour and have your bank details ready. Realistically it's 15-20 mins if everything is normal.
CoffeeAndPolitics
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Filled in all I can and saved it, just need someone to check I filled in all the financial details correctly as I can't understand the jargon of P60 forms and stuff. Just a painful application process smh.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've filled in my bit...my parents on the other hand :rolleyes: My mum has made the account and not filled in any information and my dad hasn't even managed to make the account...but they know if they don't do it and I don't get it on time they have to cover it so I'm sure they'll get on with it soon after I've nagged them for the 1000th time
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
Just applied for next year as a continuing student
Bit of a rarity as a Welsh NHS bursary student using SFE!
The problems I have are 45 week academic years and my student loan getting reduced as it's my final year!
So I have £1.8k of maintenance loan (I get a reduced loan anyway because of the grant, the reduction is more than the grant) and £1k of NHS bursary grant to take me from the end of August to mid-June. And my term this year doesn't finish until the end of July. With no holidays to work in...
Any other suggestions to get a bit more to live off? Not sure if Student Finance Wales would offer more than Student Finance England (if that's even an option). Or way of appealing as I do have longer academic years to your average student and therefore higher living costs?
although it ll be reduced they should have taken into account your longer course anyway, do they have the right course end date for you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads