The Student Room Group

A-level History Course-work

hi, i am currently in year 12, doing a-level history. i have to decide on a question for my coursework.
i have found a topic, which is the byzantine empire, but im not sure on what aspect to put the focus on
could i have any suggestions on essay questions on the byzantine empire?
Original post by mohammadsusan4
hi, i am currently in year 12, doing a-level history. i have to decide on a question for my coursework.
i have found a topic, which is the byzantine empire, but im not sure on what aspect to put the focus on
could i have any suggestions on essay questions on the byzantine empire?

Sorry, but that is such a massive area. Read about the History from beginning to end then either do a breadth perspective view or a depth one focusing on a person , event or unique angle. You need to educate yourself on it to id which areas and aspects you like and that way you can make a list of possible areas, which you then do further research on. If I gave you a list of questions they would be mine and not yours. If you cant be bothered to read then there are loads of youtube vids.
thank you for the response
it is not the case of not being bothered. i have done plenty of research on the byzantine empire in Rome - but that is exactly what i am stuck on which angle to focus on. if you could provide a list it would help. i had thought of a few questions but did not feel content with it. i would just like more suggestions, other questions other than my own since i have not been happy with them.
Original post by 999tigger
Sorry, but that is such a massive area. Read about the History from beginning to end then either do a breadth perspective view or a depth one focusing on a person , event or unique angle. You need to educate yourself on it to id which areas and aspects you like and that way you can make a list of possible areas, which you then do further research on. If I gave you a list of questions they would be mine and not yours. If you cant be bothered to read then there are loads of youtube vids.
thank you for the response
it is not the case of not being bothered. i have done plenty of research on the byzantine empire in Rome - but that is exactly what i am stuck on which angle to focus on. if you could provide a list it would help. i had thought of a few questions but did not feel content with it. i would just like more suggestions, other questions other than my own since i have not been happy with them.

Have confidence in your own ability to identify things you are interested in. You then need to find the angle you want to investigate. With History there are lots of.

How significant was this person? What were the implications of this event? Why did they succeed? Why did they lose? Doomed or well ruled? What did they get right and what were their failures? What did they contribute? In history did they make some fatal mistakes with Rome or doomed to failure etc. Was their foreign policy success or failure? What did they contribute? Once you have an area be it depth or breadth then more research and figure out what interesting historical issue or debate you wish to investigate. Be original, niche but not too niche. Dont be boring , but do find something that interests you and is viable for the essay length.
thank you!
i have found a certain angle - that being the rule of Justinian I bringing about a golden age for rome. but i dont know if it is good enough.
Have confidence in your own ability to identify things you are interested in. You then need to find the angle you want to investigate. With History there are lots of.

How significant was this person? What were the implications of this event? Why did they succeed? Why did they lose? Doomed or well ruled? What did they get right and what were their failures? What did they contribute? In history did they make some fatal mistakes with Rome or doomed to failure etc. Was their foreign policy success or failure? What did they contribute? Once you have an area be it depth or breadth then more research and figure out what interesting historical issue or debate you wish to investigate. Be original, niche but not too niche. Dont be boring , but do find something that interests you and is viable for the essay length.
thank you!
i have found a certain angle - that being the rule of Justinian I bringing about a golden age for rome. but i dont know if it is good enough.

I dont know id have to do some reading, but I would be interested in the traditional accepted version and then most importantly the counter argument. What was a golden age, who do you compare to? Was it 24 carat gold? You need to read deeper. If its accepted that it was and you just cite all his achievements, then imo thats a bit dull and I can get a book for that.They want your views and insight.
yes exactly, i would have preferred the more traditional/established idea of the golden age but im finding it difficult to refine/select a focus on a 100 year period which would have to show whether it was or was not a golden age. as online it says the golden age is from 641 to 1025 - wouldn't know how to refine that to a 100 year period which would demonstrate both sides of the argument.
I dont know id have to do some reading, but I would be interested in the traditional accepted version and then most importantly the counter argument. What was a golden age, who do you compare to? Was it 24 carat gold? You need to read deeper. If its accepted that it was and you just cite all his achievements, then imo thats a bit dull and I can get a book for that.They want your views and insight.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending