The Student Room Group

Want to travel but no one to travel with

I’m 19, studying at Uni. I’ve always wanted to travel; in a way, visiting new places seems to give me a new lease of life. These days however, I’m finding it impossible. Funding my travels in not the issue as my parents are very encouraging of experiencing as many things as possible. However, I have no one to go with. This could be a whole other question altogether, but just to sum it up, I’ve sort of been taken for granted all of my life. Not by just one person or group; it seems as though I “convert” even the nicest of people in assh*les, despite being nothing but nice myself. There is absolutely NO one in my life who I feel an emotional connection toward, except for my mom. Not even my sisters, my dad, my close friends. A lot of it seems make-pretend and surface level. These past few months everything has been building up and I just want to go somewhere, but I don’t know if I should do it myself, so I want some real advice...? If you guys genuinely don’t think that this is a good idea, because it’s risky, won’t be fun etc than please tell me. If you do think that it’s a good idea, also let me know. I want to go somewhere far like Korea or Japan, or Ecuador (to see a childhood friend). In your opinion, is it ok to travel solo to these places? It sounds a little redundant but I do worry that it will be very boring, very stressful or both without someone to back me up. It sounds small, but perhaps my biggest dream in life is simply to travel with somebody who I feel comfortable around and who I can share the experience with. I COULD ask my “closest” friend, but she has a habit of treating me like trash and I don’t want that for 3 straight weeks.
There's no shame in travelling by yourself if you're safe and careful about it. It might be even better in the sense that you get to do all the things that you want to do, instead of compromising for another person's interests too.

I went on a trip to Paris recently by myself and I had the best time ever, I even made some friends whilst I was there.
Reply 2
Original post by MidgetFever
There's no shame in travelling by yourself if you're safe and careful about it. It might be even better in the sense that you get to do all the things that you want to do, instead of compromising for another person's interests too.

I went on a trip to Paris recently by myself and I had the best time ever, I even made some friends whilst I was there.

The thing is, I wouldn’t have any qualms about travelling somewhere like Paris as it’s literally just across the channel from me, but the places that I want to go are halfway across the world with completely different ways of life, language etc :\
Original post by Anonymous
The thing is, I wouldn’t have any qualms about travelling somewhere like Paris as it’s literally just across the channel from me, but the places that I want to go are halfway across the world with completely different ways of life, language etc :\

It was just an example, trying to put a positive spin on it.

Then embrace that different way of life, although it's daunting because it is so different, you don't need another person with you to experience that culture. If you're that set on travelling with someone then maybe it's best to wait, or have a browse through the internet. People set up travel groups for those travelling to certain countries so you can meet up with them as you get there.
Go solo. Don't let a lack of someone else to do it with hold you back from the things you want to do in life.
Reply 5
Original post by MidgetFever
It was just an example, trying to put a positive spin on it.

Then embrace that different way of life, although it's daunting because it is so different, you don't need another person with you to experience that culture. If you're that set on travelling with someone then maybe it's best to wait, or have a browse through the internet. People set up travel groups for those travelling to certain countries so you can meet up with them as you get there.

I didn’t consider travel groups, I may look into it!
Reply 6
Original post by sinfonietta
Go solo. Don't let a lack of someone else to do it with hold you back from the things you want to do in life.

I think you’re right, I might just do it..
Go solo! I'm taking my first ever trip out of Britain alone, and have always travelled around the UK alone. I'm also planning on going to much further countries alone too. Going with someone else never really occurred to me because I want to do what I want without compromise and just use it as me time as well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending