The Student Room Group

AQA Biology Paper 1 Unofficial Mark-scheme 2019

Lets try construct an in-comprehensive mark scheme so we have an idea on how we did, Please Contribute!

:smile:

Current MS:
(edited 4 years ago)
GCSE?
Reply 2
Yeah
what did anyone put for why someone with pancreatic cancer may lose weight
Reply 4
Original post by guest0809
what did anyone put for why someone with pancreatic cancer may lose weight

pancreas produces none/mutated enzymes
these have deformed active site
break down of substrates is limited
less nutrient/caloric intake = loss of weight

wbu?
I put that cos the pancreas makes lipase, it will no longer be produced so the body won't be able to break fats into glycerol and fatty acids so you won't be able to use and store the fats the same way but yours sounds better
Reply 6
what did yall do for the cubes question? i worked out the suface area and volume and got the ratio 6:1
Reply 7
Original post by mister flump
I put that cos the pancreas makes lipase, it will no longer be produced so the body won't be able to break fats into glycerol and fatty acids so you won't be able to use and store the fats the same way but yours sounds better

you gave an example, that’s probably good.

Let’s just hope for low grade boundaries, hopefully the lowest for a 9 is nothing above 75
(edited 4 years ago)
Some of my friends struggled with why diabetics have less water, my friend happens to be a diabetic and he confirmed my answer.. I basicly put that the without insulin being produced the body tries to find other ways of regulating blood sugar levels such as urinating the sugar out.. it's a bit more complex than that but it was only a 3 marker so I didn't write much more than that
Original post by Godsuya
Lets try construct an in-comprehensive mark scheme so we have an idea on how we did, Please Contribute!

Current MS:
Reply 9
Original post by jjjjxxx
what did yall do for the cubes question? i worked out the suface area and volume and got the ratio 6:1

sounds like you did the combined paper. there’s a popular thread discussing that paper, i’m sure you’ll find your answer there :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by mister flump
Some of my friends struggled with why diabetics have less water, my friend happens to be a diabetic and he confirmed my answer.. I basicly put that the without insulin being produced the body tries to find other ways of regulating blood sugar levels such as urinating the sugar out.. it's a bit more complex than that but it was only a 3 marker so I didn't write much more than that

you could have added/mentioned how:

water is lost through osmosis
as concentration of sugar is high
water passes through the cells partially permeable membrane down the concentration gradient out of the cell
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by jjjjxxx

what? what page was this on? didn't even see this question
I might be spouting nonsense but for the pancreatic cancer qs i said that the tumour may cause more digestive enzymes to be produced than normal so food is digested quicker so it causes people to lose weight because nothing is being stored but immediately used for energy 😭
Reply 13
For the pancreas one I said that the cancerous cells would be dividing rapidly by mitosis which requires energy in respiration so fat stores may be broken down to provide glucose for the respiration needed for division, causing the person to lose mass
Original post by Godsuya

Current MS:

have you found the mark scheme yet??

Quick Reply