Upgrading pc for vr gaming

Watch
SillyMuffin
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So im planning on upgrading my pc soon so ill be able to play vr games better. Im not very good with specs of computers and knowing whats good and what not and stuff so I thought I would get some advice about what I should upgrade. Some vr games that I play or plan on playing are blade and sorcery, vrchat, the forest, beat saber and zero caliber vr.

My specs are: i5-3470 3.20ghz processor, 16gb of ddr3 RAM and a GTX 1060 3gb graphcs card

So which ones would you say, would have a better impact to performance from upgrading? or any recommendations for parts to upgrade to? Thank you for your time ^^
SillyMuffin
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you for your time ^^ and also thanks for the detailed information, it was really useful.

I was planning on spending around £600 to £700 for my next upgrade. I plan on playing action and multiplayer games. During play sessions of vr games, I randomly get lag spikes, low fps and sometimes the games just crash after the lag spikes. This normally happens in large open spaces or when theres a lot going on around me. Single player games run smoother than multiplayer ones and the more detailed items and objects are in the game, the lower the FPS I get. Im not sure if thats answers your questions about where my pc isnt cutting it.

Yeah I have tried some of the games and was having large fps drops in some games but others seem to be working fine on low setting. Like vrchat runs relatively smoothly only having issues when a lot of particles or animations are around as well as large worlds and being on a server thats full but blades and sorcery can drop below 10 fps when looking towards open areas or when enemies begin to spawn in the game. I just tested my performance on blades and sorcery with task manager when I had a drop in frames and it said my CPU was at 98% the GPU was around 60% so would this mean that the CPU is currently bottlenecking?

If the CPU is bottlenecking now then would it be more adventitious to upgrade that plus the RAM and motherboard and PSU first? or would you still advise to upgrade the GPU first then the CPU and everything else later on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.76%
Okay (110)
29.02%
A bit lacking (141)
37.2%
Not good at all (91)
24.01%

Watched Threads